Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Aggravating day, way too long, gotta vent.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Angry Aggravating day, way too long, gotta vent.

So this morning at 6, I'm at the truck shop picking up the work truck after a lube, oil & filter. Looks good, they didn't overfill it, remembered to put the oil cap on, replaced the fan belt and adjusted the clutch like I asked, so far so good. Start 'er up, idling rough - this isn't good. Put the RPM's up to 1000, truck sputters and dies. Walk back in the shop, drag out the mechanic on duty. After fussing with the primer and refilling the secondary filter, he checks the work sheet. Turns out they replaced the primary filter this time, it's under the cab in the suction line. Looks like an old gasser inline filter. The mechanic pulls out the filter, the moron who changed it used a 5/16 " filter in a 3/8 " line, so we're sucking air. No 3/8" filter in stock, pull the old one out of the trash, put it on, we're good to go. Now I'm over an hour behind schedule. I get going on my run. First time I shut the truck off, it runs rough after I restart it and put a load on it, but it smooths out after a minute or so. Call the shop, they say "Don't shut it down, it should keep going all day." Fast forward to my 3rd to last stop, I've got the truck parked on a steep grade facing uphill. Time to go, put it in 2nd and pull out. Not so fast, motor sputters and nearly dies - declutch quick and let it idle a bit. Try again in 1st, the truck should be able to idle up the hill in 1st. Nope, bogs and dies, won't restart, can't get it to prime. Call the shop again, wait an hour for road service. Guy shows up, crawls under and pulls the filter off without using tools. Front clamp was loose, rear clamp was stripped. He puts the new filter on (right size, even!) using new clamps, gets me primed and rolling again in half an hour. I hop on the bypass, get 1/4 of a mile and traffic stops. Turn on news radio, presidential motorcade coming, highway is closed. Sit and wait half an hour. Finish my run, walk out to the Dodge, glad the day is over. It's sunny and warm, I can drive home with the windows down and listen to the straight pipe. I fire up the Cummins and pull out of my parking spot and immediately hear a loud pop. Stop the truck and get out, some fine citizen has left his 40 oz. Colt .45 bottle directly in front of my right rear wheels, right between the tires. Luckily the popping noise was the bottle breaking, not the tires blowing, but there's a big shard of glass stuck up between the tires. Put on my fueling gloves and pick the glass out without cutting myself, 'bout the only good thing that happened all day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K. Dave so nobody got killed what ya gripping about
Old 03-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Banned

why dont ya tell us where these idiots are so i dont go there???????????????????????????????????????!!!!!! !!!!!!1
thanx.........and say it sweetly so you dont ruffle the moderators here
Old 03-15-2004, 09:25 PM

Re: Aggravating day, way too long, gotta vent.

Originally posted by wannadiesel
Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Can it be any worse?
Old 03-15-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man what a day !
Old 03-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by thumper 549
why dont ya tell us where these idiots are so i dont go there???????????????????????????????????????!!!!!! !!!!!!1
thanx.........and say it sweetly so you dont ruffle the moderators here
Well, they don't work on pickup trucks. Also, they are usually very good, the stupidity today was out of character for them. The guy they sent on the road call was very good, got me going in 1/2 hour. He was there in an hour when I was 45 minutes from the shop, it's hard to complain about that kind of service. I would recommend Bentley Truck Service to anybody with a truck fleet in the Philly area. And hey, like Blackjack said, nobody got killed. Although that might change if I see somebody near my truck drinking a forty...