Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Advice please on a new sleeping bed purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Advice please on a new sleeping bed purchase

I am getting married in about 3 weeks and need some advice. The Fiance and I are shopping for beds. Currently we are using my hand me down queen size bed I inherited from my parents a few years ago. I think the mattresses were actually purchased in 1996.

Basically I have been sleeping on junk for years ever since my divorce from my first wife. My bed just hasn't been that much of a priority in recent years. And my wife, to be, has a queen bed that's not much better.

We are getting older and we want to sleep more comfortably at night. We are tired of sleeping on junky, cheap, lumpy, out of date beds.

With all of our wedding expenses, honeymoon expenses coming up etc.......money is a factor. To top that off, I had to spend some money on my truck with an injector issue. And we are paying for 2 mortgages until we can get her place sold.

So that begs the question......what to buy?

We are trying to decide perhaps if we should get a Tempurpedic "cloud" or "deluxe" model which seem to be our favorites. And we are trying to decide if we want to go up to a King size....from queen. And also if we want the new adjustable types that raise your head/feet and offer a vibration mode.

We want and NEED to upgrade our mattress/box springs for better sleep for our health. But the other stuff sounds really nice and I don't want to pay a bunch of money for something and regret not spending a little more and getting what we want. We do feel a little crowded in a queen bed.

So what to do? Advice? Experience with this decision? Experience specifically with Tempurpedic models?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BOSS and I had been sleeping on a 15+ year old queen sized innerspring mattress for a long time, it had a "valley" in it like the grand canyon!!!
Bought one of the "sleep number" beds, the one that has a separate air chamber for each side so you can each select your own "comfort level".... hated it! Kept it for less than 6 months before almost giving it away... The mattress itself was OK, but there is a stiff foam edge around it to shape it ,and on the dual models, down the center of it ... very uncomfortable to try and do anything more than lay on your side and sleep...if you get my drift..

Bought one of the basic Tempurpedic mattresses and love it.. had it for about 2 years now and its great. Best money you can spend on a mattress..

I think the Queen is plenty big enough for the two of us, enough room not to be on top of one another unless we want to be....cheaper to buy sheets and blankets for than the King..
Old 02-06-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just went through this about 8 months ago.

Ended up with a Sealy Posturepedic queen size. We sleep very well on it.

Those memory foam mattresses seem like the best, but they are very expensive and the only one I could find in stock was a king size. Ours was a factory buy back, and we ended up getting a pretty good deal on it.

King size seems like a good idea, but in reality of it all they are HUGE! Unless you both are large people, or have a giant bedroom, a queen should be plenty big. Like mentioned above, everything is more expensive for a king, also.

Good luck, and best wishes to you and your new bride.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:48 PM

i just bought a Sleep number with a memory foam topper about 3 in thick I sleep alot better now
Old 02-06-2010, 01:21 PM

I as well have one of the Sleep Number beds. They cost a ton, but they are rather nice. I love firm beds where my wife loves something that you disappear in because it is so soft. I sleep better on the ground to be honest. Don't get fooled into the 20 year warranty. As I just found out when my pump went out, the warranty only covers you for 3 years, then after that you have to pay like 20% of the original cost of the items plus an additional percentage for every year past 3 years.

So say you had the bed 6 years, your pump gos out you will pay 20% + the additional 2.5% per year past 3 years making it 28.5% of the cost of the item... Make sense? I can't remember what the actual numbers are, but they make it ound like if you have any issues for 20 years, your covered. But your not.

I wanted to get a Temper Pedic bed but the wife hated it.

One thing I can say is spend the extra money and buy something that is quality! And get your self a water prrof matress cover! They keep the bed nice and clean, and you hear about beds getting heavier over time because skin and mites and all that, they cant get to the mattress if you have a water proof cover over it.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks guys! Keep it coming if you have any input.

Chris, the Tempurpedic definately has our attention. The "Boss" has heard some negative things about the sleep number beds and doesn't want to go that route.

Has anybody got anything negative say about Tempurpedics?

Is the "vibration" bed worth buying? Is that one of those things you just buy and never use.....or is it something once you have it, you wonder how you ever lived without it? Same for the up/down motion for head and feet?

Old 02-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Banshee.........FWIW, according to the mattress guy...he said the 20 yr warranty on the Tempurpedics was full warranty all the way, parts and labor....minus a $75.00 fee only......after year 1. They will send a technician to the house.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

We got an airbed, king size. We got it about 10 years ago and have not had a single issue. it is not the sleep number brand. The thing I liked about it was I could have an air bed and the wife could have a memory foam, if we wanted to. We got ours from innomax in Denver. Our bed has the air mattresses, both are then covered with a egg crate type of pad, then there is a summer/winter removable pillow top that you flip for the different seasons. We did have to get deep sheets, or whatever they are called. I like the air bed because if you need to adjust it you can. After a hard day of construction driving cattle, or playing with the boys it's nice to be able to soften up the bed a bit. Generally I keep it pretty firm.

HTH
Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a queen Tempurpedic deluxe. I tried top of the line Sealy's and King coils and only seemed to get 5-6 years out of them before they started to sag giving me tremendous back aches. The wife and I got sick of spending $1,200+ on what was supposed to be great products, so we shopped around for a couple months to find a mattress that we both liked. After trying literally 100+ mattresses we narrowed it down to either the Select comfort or the Tempurpedic. We went with the temperpedic, I think it was around $2200-2400 delivered. I also bought one of there rhapsody pillows. I would not have a pillow fight with it, unless of coarse you want to put you wife in the hospital. (It is heavy)

Once the mattress arrived and we got it set up I laid on it and to my surprise it was as hard as a rock. I was a little disappointed at first, but they tell you if it is delivered in the winter it will need about 24 hours to come up to room temp. Once the mattress was at room temp it worked just like they said it would. It took us about a month to get used to it.

Here is my synopsis,

I sleep like a dead man on it. No tossing or turning.

I do not feel, or can tell when my wife gets out of bed. It really does not transfer motion.

It is body heat activated, so it takes a few minutes of lying in it for it to conform to your body.

I have not had a single back ache since getting this mattress. We have had it for almost 6 years.

I can not comment on the vibration bed or the motion beds. I myself do not need any of those options with this bed.

It holds your body heat, so in the winter it is awesome. However in the summer it gets warm. I do not run my air all the time like you would so this may not be an issue for you guy's. I felt you should know about it.

I swore I would never spend that kind of money on a mattress, I was wrong.

I would highly recommend it.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Dang Tx, your making me wish I had pushed the issue and got the Temperpedic now lol!!!

I hear you on those pillows Hvytrk! My wife and I got 2 of the Temperpedic pillows. I bet you could knock teeth out with that thing! That's the one you keep hidden incase someone breaks in the house! No need for a gun. They think your nuts coming at them with a pillow until impact! lol
Old 02-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Just my .02. We house sit every summer for a friend. They have a Tempurpedic King. I tend to sink into it at the middle, my middle and its a hot matress. I like to sleep cool whenever possible.
We currnetly are in a Posturepedic queen and its time for a new mattress after 14 years. I would get the same one again but in pillow top, and not keep it past ten years cause it has gotten dished out I have noticed.

Luck, Kurt
Old 02-06-2010, 05:30 PM

The Mrs. to be and I have all but decided to go with the Tempurpedic. Big question now is King or Queen.

I have a Queen headboard/footboard.....nice one that we both like...which will have to go if we get the King. So that means possibly more expense buying sheets, spread, and headboard/footboard etc....going to King.

Is the King really worth it? We are not real big huge people, but I do feel a little crowded in the Queen, but there is a huge bigger cost factor going up to the King. I don't want to regret it 2 years from now if we settle. But dont want to spend the money now either.... for something we don't need.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:04 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Nuther vote for the sleep number style.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Sleep numbers are only good for sleeping if you sleep two feet apart(ie each on your own side, not in the center) and if you plan on doing nothing but sleeping on, my exgf had one.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by megacabdad
Those memory foam mattresses seem like the best...
I slept on one of those once. In Florida. All I did was sweat all night. It seemed like the foam held all the heat in.

Originally Posted by wyododge
After a hard day of construction driving cattle...
Not to side track this thread, but what exactly are 'construction driving cattle'? Cows that drive cement trucks?

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
... only seemed to get 5-6 years out of them before they started to sag...
The amount of sag is directly proportional to the amount of girth of the occupant.

Quick Reply: Advice please on a new sleeping bed purchase