Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was a little younger than you I had a lot of the same issues,I ended up going into the Navy which was the best thing that could have happened, it gave me some time and security to make a decision about where I wanted to go in life as well as the financial resources to go back to school when I was done. My only regret was that I didn't stay my full 20 years.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to a two year diesel program here in MN. I landed a full time job my first year at school and have been working there since. I thought about Wyotech, but after talking to a few people who attended I felt it wasn't worth it. The price, having to relocate and so forth. Turning a wrench all day is something you're going to have to love. As you know, it can be dirty, but their is some pretty decent coin to be had if you have the know how.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went in the military when I was young. Good career, learned a lot and saw more. If your married though I'd check out how long you'll be gone for training, overseas stuff and so on. It will be an adjustment for you and your wife, big decision for both.

I also attended Nashville Auto-Diesel College. Much has changed since I went over there, I think they've seperated programs now, Auto and Diesel so you can pick which direction you want to go. When I went it was Auto and Diesel combined. For me it was good because I worked in both sides throughout my career. I was living in Western NY when I talked to a rep from there, they came to my house and told me about the school.

As far as wrenching and diagnostics. I've been in the mechanic world a LONG time and when I first went in the real nitty gritty of computers and stuff was getting hot on cars. It was the fix all for everything, so they said. "Oh", they'd say, "just use the diagnostic scanner". Yeah, that was b.s. It's good it shows you information you can use to help diagnose problems, O2 sensor readings showing lean, rich, pulse width on injectors and all manner of things to help you see what is wrong and a code which will direct you down the right road at first.

Electronics, yeah it's tough. If you know how something works, a switch or sender, component then you can figure out what's wrong. It's not as hard as some make it out to be. I'd spend slow times at the Caddy dealer reading about how sensors work, what turns them on, off, when they come on everything about them. Knowing this you can figure lots of stuff out. Wiring is the same way, shorts, shorts to ground, open circuits etc., it's a way of thinking. It's one of those jobs where some guys are better than others at chasing down crazy electrical problems. I really liked the electronic stuff, it was a challenge, made you think and was not the same old hum drum brake job, engine rebuild and stuff. Everything was unique and when you found it you could do a little private dance for yourself and smile.

Now fast forward almost twenty years after I graduated and electronics are in everything! Off highway equipment, on highway trucks and of course cars. When looking into a career the thing I always thought about was this, how long will I be needed? How long will this occupation be needed? Can it be phased out by robots, computers? Being a mechanic is going to be a long term career. The days of guys doing it in there yard are vanishing unless you want to buy a high end scanner. Another thing to consider, lots of kids are looking at the "clean" jobs. Office something, accountant, finance etc., the allure of the "big money". Little be known that a little dirt under your fingernails and sweat doing the skilled trade jobs and you can make good money.

Hope everything works out for you!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:44 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sIR bLA I really owe some beer for whatyour trying to do..everybody really good suggestions ..really something for me to think on...