Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

6.5x55 swedish mauser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.5x55 swedish mauser?

I've always heard this was a great cartridge. I'm also under the impression the other cartridge I was interested in, the 264 mag, had been on it's way out with the manufacturers. I'm contemplateing sporterizing a mauser '96. My understanding is the '96 can handle modern and hotter loads, but the earlier ones can't. Probably since smokeless was developed about then?

I would like to fit a reciever with a custom barrel. The barrel would be shorter so I can use a mannlicher stock. I plan on lighter rounds. I think I read 160 gr performed the best? But maybe lighter? I don't know if there are a lot of choices, but I assume with lighter bullets, less rifleing twist? Anybody shoot this cartridge much, sporterized or not? I'd like it as a lighter gun for hunting in a stand.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Never heard of a Mauser 96, I think you mean the 98? If so, then yes, it is the strongest of them, and more have been based upon it than any other. It has 3 locking lugs and you will be safe. I don't think you would really need it for a 6.5 Sweed, but if you have to buy one it would be the one to get. I have a 95 Mauser chambered in .308 with no problems so far, basically the same as the 98 but with a single lug. Hasn't blown up so far.......
Old 07-22-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
That's a terrific round that is highly underrated due to its European naming. Its the only rifle my friend Larry shoots and has taken everything from coyote to Moose with it over his lifetime. He swears by it. He also loves to remind me how little he spends on surplus ammo that shoots incredibly well. BTW, the Mauser '98 action is the equivelant of the Cummins engine in our trucks. Kurt

Last edited by SIXSLUG; 07-22-2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-22-2007, 01:54 PM

Pat Mauser came out with the 98, because the germans wanted to keep th 8mm they've been useing. Thay didn't want the smaller 6.5 of the 96. Almost the same gun.

I was in Suhl dozens of times to chase the ladies when I was stationed in Germany, but regret never makeing it dureing daylight to see the Mauser museum and original factory.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The 96 6.5 is a really terrific rifle if you want a tack driver. I bought several of them a few years back and sportorized them for family members. With custom loads they are EXTREMELY accurate and run like a swiss watch.

Well they are Swiss after all and they do know quality. They will not take the heavy loads the 98 Mauser will, but when a rifle shoots that accurately, you don't need it to be a barn buster to kill any game animal in the lower 48.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Redleg
Pat Mauser came out with the 98, because the germans wanted to keep th 8mm they've been useing. Thay didn't want the smaller 6.5 of the 96. Almost the same gun.
True and in the 1938 Olympic shootings games, the 96 won the gold medal and spanked Hitler hard over that decision. That long 6.5 bullet with that ballistic ogive it has resembles a missile the way it flies.

I have many Mausers in different calibers, none of them will out shoot the 6.5 Swiss. The 8mm on the other hand, does have more knockdown power at long range.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 PM

I'm unfamiliar with the 6.5 Swiss? You guys are talking about the Swedish M96in 6.5x55 Swede, right? There's a 7.5 Swiss (ie.. Schmidt-Rubin K31). The 6.5 Swede is one of the all time great shooters. The 6.5 in the 96 and later 38's were incredibly accurate military rifles. 6.5x55 is an outstanding deer cartridge.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by CTDinMT
I'm unfamiliar with the 6.5 Swiss? You guys are talking about the Swedish M96in 6.5x55 Swede, right?
Yes sir, that is indeed what we are talking about. The 7.5 is also an accurate rifle but not in the same league as the 6.5. I have shot thousands of different cartridges over the years, there are few that compare ballistically from a surplus rifle like the 96 Swedish Mauser.

10 Years ago I was buying them for $50.00 a piece, now a good specimen with matching numbers will fetch around $300.00 and climbing. The model 38 is the carbine version of the same rifle, just a little shorter barrel.

I sporterized one for my nephew a few years back, custom fiber stock, custom polish and bluing, engine turned bolt with custom safety and trigger, with a nice 3x9 scope on it. Took it to the range to site it in and test some custom loads in it and the guy next to us sighting in his new Remington was Oogling it.

He heard me mention that it was over 100 years old and came over to see it first hand. He could not believe that I was knocking over empty 12 ga shells at 200 meters with it.

I let him shoot it and after he knocked 3 over himself he asked if we would take his new Remington and $500.00 to boot My young nephew spoke up and stated that was his custom rifle and it was NOT for sale

It is an excellent rifle to 300 meters, and I would not be surprised if it does well at 500 meters, though I have never shot it beyond 300 meters myself.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:50 PM

Mauser

I must first say I haven't shot the 6.5mmX55, 6.5BR yes, but my 8mm Mauser is a hoot. Have a barreled 8mm '38 action converted to 30.06 as well, but haven't put a round thru it yet. Many good things are said about the 6.5mm, but I've mainly heard about the Swedish, not Mauser, 6.5mm. Hope it works well for you, sounds good.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 AM

Top, any good leads on one? Got a gun show comeing in a couple weeks, I want to hit. ALso, any good leads on custom barrel suppliers? I'd like to machine the bolt too, after turning down the throw. Can the throw be welded back together?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Cool, I love finding new things out!

So basically, M96 is the same action style as the 98, with the 3 locking lugs?

I need to do a little looking around now, the 6.5 is one caliber I have never owned.....
Old 07-23-2007, 08:48 AM

Top, any good leads on one? Got a gun show comeing in a couple weeks, I want to hit. ALso, any good leads on custom barrel suppliers? I'd like to machine the bolt too, after turning down the throw. Can the throw be welded back together?
Redleg- You can heat and bend the bolt handle. You'll probably get some scaling from the heat that you have to clean up, but it's do-able. Or, you can buy a replacement bolt handle and cut the stock one off and weld the new one on. This option is best left to a gunsmith, however, because bolt assemblies are heat treated for a reason. Once you heat to weld, you'll be affecting the temper of critical areas of the bolt if you aren't careful. Brownells has a bolt handle bending jig if I remember correctly, as well as a big selection of bolt handles if you decide to cut the factory one off. You can also find barrels there as well. www.brownells.com
Old 07-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Admin Team Leader

Don,

I don't have any leads on one at the moment, they have become more scarce in the last couple of years. As far as a custom barrel, I use the original ones myself unless they are pitted really bad.

Most have never really been used, the barrels may be a little dark but clean up really well. I just shorten them to the length I want and cut a new crown in the barrel tip before polishing and then dropping them in the hot tanks to blue them.

The bolt can be turned down, but I also suggest letting a Gunsmith do it. I like to jewel the bolt (engine turn) when I get them done as well. Not only do they look great but it helps the steel hold oil better so it doesn't rust.

These rifles are not built to withstand the pressures of a larger round like the 8mm, but do really well on the medium loads like the 6.5x55.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The M95 and M96 was known as the 'Small ring' Mausers. Designed for lower power cartridges like the 6, 6.5 and the 7mm. The M98 is the 'Large ring' and can handle the much more powerful .30 cal cartridges and above. And even some magnums.

I have a custom M96 6.5 Swede (original barrel turned down) and a custom M98 in 25-06 (Douglas barrel). And a M95 7mm that's in mint condition.

MikeyB
Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 AM

Mikey, can you post a picture of the 6.5. The 98/25-06 must be a sweet gun too. I've thought of that combo.

I may opt for a custom handle. Might even go with a spoon. Is the original barrel stepped under the stock? I don't care for the stepped down barrel, and it would be real tough to fit it with a manlicher stock I think.

Quick Reply: 6.5x55 swedish mauser?