Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

2wd to 4wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd to 4wd conversion

I have a '94 Dodge 2500 diesel reg cab/5-speed that I like very much except that it's 2wd. I got such a great deal that I bought it anyway but I'm building on land up in the mountains of SW VA and sure could use a 4wd.<br><br>any thought on converting to 4wd? Is it just a matter of installing a front axle and a t-case and different drive shafts or is the frame completely different on 4wd models? I don't want to have to do any cutting/welding.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:08 AM

Re:2wd to 4wd conversion

converting a 4x2 to a 4x4 is a huge task.. u are better off just getting a new truck.. <br>u will need a transfer case, drive shaft, trans adapter, front differental, front suspension kit... by the time u start it and finish it, u could of bought a new truck... and spent about the same amount of money...
Old 01-23-2003, 11:01 AM

Buy a new one, I converted a Furd van years ago to 4WD and it was a huge task. I was very happy with the finished product but for the same money and no headaches I could have purchased one from Pathfinder.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done this with a 1974 Chevy P/U. <br>I dont know much about doing this to a Dodge.<br>However, it was nothing short of a huge undertaking on the Chevy.<br>Here is just a bit of what I had to do:<br>1) <br>Cab floor had to be modified to accomodate the transfer case.<br>(Different center hump and had to modify the cab under the seat to match up correctly with the new center hump)<br><br>2) <br>Different steering box and boxed in the frame around the new steering box (GM's are known to crack the frame around the steering box).<br><br>3)<br>Extentsive work to the front of the trucks frame to accomadate the front leaf spring shackle mounts and new front axle sway bar mounts. <br>This required the removal of the existing front cross member, under the radiator, replaced it with one from a doner 4X4 and added a second cross member where the sway bar mounts.<br><br>3)<br>The cross member that holds the engine in place and supports the front A-arm suspension is completely different on a 2x4 than on a 4x4. (Again, this was for GM). Thus, the main cross member had to be cut out and a replacement was bolted/welded in place.<br><br>4)<br>Holes drilled and shackle mounts installed, then tap welded in place for the back of the front leaf springs.<br><br>5)<br>Longer brake lines, longer shocks.<br><br>6)<br>The leaf spring mounts in the back are different on a 2x4 compared to a 4x4.<br>These mounts had to be cut off and replaced with ones from a doner 4x4, new springs were installed.<br><br>7) <br>The tranny mounts are also different to make room for the front drive shaft.<br>This cross member had to be replaced.<br><br>8) There were several other &quot;little&quot; things that we kept running into, but the above was the major issues.<br>And all this assumes you already have the needed parts such as transfer case, front axle (with the correct gearing, and lug pattern), dirve shaft, and all the needed hardware!<br><br>Again, this was a '74 Chevy P/U and the Dodge may/probably is different. <br>I dont know. However, this may give you just an idea of the amount of work, parts and time it takes to switch from 2x4 to 4x4.<br><br>We had a doner 4x4 we could pull parts from, a lot of spare time, and a well equiped garage.<br><br>Looking back, Id say just buy a 4x4.<br><br><br>Rich
Old 01-23-2003, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The arms for the 4 wheel drive part appear to be a real pain to install on a 2 wheel thought about it once when i had a 2x4. The best option i can think of is to find a 4x4 frame with the drive train minus motor and tranny and switch the bodies.