Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   2wd to 4wd conversion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/2wd-4wd-conversion-23024/)

vagabonds2 01-23-2003 07:58 AM

2wd to 4wd conversion

I have a '94 Dodge 2500 diesel reg cab/5-speed that I like very much except that it's 2wd. I got such a great deal that I bought it anyway but I'm building on land up in the mountains of SW VA and sure could use a 4wd.<br><br>any thought on converting to 4wd? Is it just a matter of installing a front axle and a t-case and different drive shafts or is the frame completely different on 4wd models? I don't want to have to do any cutting/welding.

wick 01-23-2003 09:08 AM

Re:2wd to 4wd conversion

converting a 4x2 to a 4x4 is a huge task.. u are better off just getting a new truck.. <br>u will need a transfer case, drive shaft, trans adapter, front differental, front suspension kit... by the time u start it and finish it, u could of bought a new truck... and spent about the same amount of money...

Mule Skinner 01-23-2003 11:01 AM

Buy a new one, I converted a Furd van years ago to 4WD and it was a huge task. I was very happy with the finished product but for the same money and no headaches I could have purchased one from Pathfinder.

DieselDaze 01-23-2003 11:06 AM

I have done this with a 1974 Chevy P/U. <br>I dont know much about doing this to a Dodge.<br>However, it was nothing short of a huge undertaking on the Chevy.<br>Here is just a bit of what I had to do:<br>1) <br>Cab floor had to be modified to accomodate the transfer case.<br>(Different center hump and had to modify the cab under the seat to match up correctly with the new center hump)<br><br>2) <br>Different steering box and boxed in the frame around the new steering box (GM's are known to crack the frame around the steering box).<br><br>3)<br>Extentsive work to the front of the trucks frame to accomadate the front leaf spring shackle mounts and new front axle sway bar mounts. <br>This required the removal of the existing front cross member, under the radiator, replaced it with one from a doner 4X4 and added a second cross member where the sway bar mounts.<br><br>3)<br>The cross member that holds the engine in place and supports the front A-arm suspension is completely different on a 2x4 than on a 4x4. (Again, this was for GM). Thus, the main cross member had to be cut out and a replacement was bolted/welded in place.<br><br>4)<br>Holes drilled and shackle mounts installed, then tap welded in place for the back of the front leaf springs.<br><br>5)<br>Longer brake lines, longer shocks.<br><br>6)<br>The leaf spring mounts in the back are different on a 2x4 compared to a 4x4.<br>These mounts had to be cut off and replaced with ones from a doner 4x4, new springs were installed.<br><br>7) <br>The tranny mounts are also different to make room for the front drive shaft.<br>This cross member had to be replaced.<br><br>8) There were several other &quot;little&quot; things that we kept running into, but the above was the major issues.<br>And all this assumes you already have the needed parts such as transfer case, front axle (with the correct gearing, and lug pattern), dirve shaft, and all the needed hardware!<br><br>Again, this was a '74 Chevy P/U and the Dodge may/probably is different. <br>I dont know. However, this may give you just an idea of the amount of work, parts and time it takes to switch from 2x4 to 4x4.<br><br>We had a doner 4x4 we could pull parts from, a lot of spare time, and a well equiped garage.<br><br>Looking back, Id say just buy a 4x4.<br><br><br>Rich

rich 01-23-2003 08:34 PM

The arms for the 4 wheel drive part appear to be a real pain to install on a 2 wheel thought about it once when i had a 2x4. The best option i can think of is to find a 4x4 frame with the drive train minus motor and tranny and switch the bodies.