Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

1/3 of the city is flooded!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:01 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by CD in NM
Hey Edwin.

Sorry to hear of the troubles in your area, I hope you will go unscathed as far as your water supply is concerned.

I will be traveling your way next week. We are going to be taking I-40 over to OK City then north up I-35 to Kanas City, ultimately going into Minnesota at the SW corner. At this point I think I will stay on the toll/turnpike from Emporia around Topeka and the I-70 into the west side of KC. Then I-435 to I 29 and north. I am hoping to avoid the trip around the south side if KC on I-35 near the flooded area. Can you tell me anything about the area I am planning to travel through? I really have little choices about taking the route from here in New Mexico to Minnesota. I have traveled up to Denver and across I 70, even traveled up and over on I-80, but the way I am planning is actually the shortest distance and the better roads. I just don't want to add to all the traffic confusions in the KC area due to unfamiliarity.

CD
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. We're over here near the SE corner of KS. About 60 miles north od Tulsa on US 169. A bit out of the way for you. You couldn't get through on 169 north of the city but you could dodge around the flooded part by going through Independence. US 169 goes to KC but you get the scenic route through a lot of podunk towns on mostly 2 lane highway.

We have water pressure today but we're still under a boil order. FEMA is giving out water. Of course I found out after I bought a case of bottled water at WalMart.

Edwin
Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CD, coming up 35 from OKC , you shouldnt have any problems. The turnpike is in good shape . When you hit Emporia, you can take 35 to KC or 335 north to I-70 and KC. If you let me know when ya get close, I'll see if I can come down and buy ya a cup of coffee.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be real nice if you guys could send some of that rain up this way!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:31 PM

Chrisreyn.

I think I will stay on the turnpike/toll road all the way up to I-70, then catch the west go-round at KC, think it's 635? have to look at a map. Then on to I-29 into the corner of S Dakota.

I think I should hit KC somewhere around lunch time if I hit one of the pull offs just north of Emporia and snooze a little. We are leaving NM around 8-9am and driving straight to just north of Emporia, should be about 2-3am when we stop for some rest.

I'll have to see where you are at, Carbondale? More looking at the map. I really do need to get out more often and run around the country. This is only the second time I've been in/around KC and that was 3 years ago. KC was one big construction zone my last trip. I went around on I-35, east side so to speak. Not doing that again, too much/too close to the inner city stuff. The traffic was no so bad as compared to Chicago or St Louis, but still better to go on the west side and hit even less traffic. I certainly would not want to hit there at rush hour!!

CD
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 PM

CD, I am about ten mile from where you will get off 335 and onto I-70, so is Waldersha...
In Emporia, 35 goes to teh south side of KC, 335 continues north to I-70.
The two highways are the same until they split at Emporia, so just stay on teh turnpike and it will bring you right up to Topeka and I-70.
I-70 east to KC then north on 435 to I-29 and north will take you to Omaha and on norht from there. From topeka to I-29 is about 1 1/2 hour drive nrmally, depends on if you hit rush hour or not. I'll Pm you with my phomne number, jus tin case you have a problem on teh road or something.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:57 AM

120 degrees here.. No rain in sight.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. We're over here near the SE corner of KS. About 60 miles north od Tulsa on US 169. A bit out of the way for you. You couldn't get through on 169 north of the city but you could dodge around the flooded part by going through Independence. US 169 goes to KC but you get the scenic route through a lot of podunk towns on mostly 2 lane highway.

We have water pressure today but we're still under a boil order. FEMA is giving out water. Of course I found out after I bought a case of bottled water at WalMart.

Edwin
Oh, the drive isn't that bad, I've been through there. Last time was when you guys had the ice storm in January. Hopefully things get cleaned up in a reasonable time frame. Best of luck to everyone affected.

Kyle
Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 AM

ED, note the helath bulletin released today:

Environmental Report

Flood water samples taken by the U.S. EPA within Coffeyville showed numbers of fecal coliform bacteria more than 130 times the standard. Residents are asked to avoid the flood waters and to wash thoroughly if they come in contact with the water.

and this one is important for you too:

Tetanus Vaccine

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the State Emergency Operations Center in Topeka have been coordinating the ships of vaccinations throughout the flood impacted counties in southeast Kansas. More than 3,400 doses have been shipped to counties . Nearly 1,200 more doses have been requested by counties. KDHE anticipates more than 3,000 doses will be available Monday for distribution.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Thanks. I have generally avoided drinking the floodwater. Most of the water has receded but they are still not letting people back in totheir homes. There was one report that the fumes from the oil spill caused one emergency worker to get nauseous. If I were to go in there I'd use a resperator for sure.

We are still under a boil order but we've had good water pressure for the past few days. The Sonic was open yesterday but they're using bagged ice and bottled soft drinks. (flat) I'm so glad because I sure missed my daily #8.

Just driving through the flooded areas causes my asthma to act up. I'm extremely allergic to mold and we have lots of it. Trees and brush are coated with brown and black crud. Houses have a solid ring of crude oil around them. I saw a tanker truck that had floated up against a building and jacknifed.

Edwin