Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

1/3 of the city is flooded!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
1/3 of the city is flooded!

The levee broke about 3 am Sunday morning and the east and north parts of Coffeyville are now flooded. The refinery has a broken line and the flood water is contaminated with oil and fuel. The water supply is threatened and the intake pumps have been shut off to protect what's stored. A mandatory exacuation is in effect for the flooded areas. Thank God we are safe here but the town is nearly cut off by road.

How's things in your neck of the woods.

Edwin
Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if the dang rain would stop everything would be pretty good. its been like 2 weeks straight

brett
Old 07-01-2007, 11:49 PM

Over here in Palm springs I havnt seen rain for over a year, should be 120 degrees starting thursday. Send some water over this way please.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by CarBizIndio
Over here in Palm springs I havnt seen rain for over a year, should be 120 degrees starting thursday. Send some water over this way please.
I have a friend who lives in Desert Hot Springs. I don't know why that matters though.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:10 AM

I feel sorry for him, that city is out of control.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:56 AM

She lives in a trailer in a resort there. Always talking about the heat too. We just get to complain about the heat, humidity the snow and the rain. And if that ain't enough a twister will take your trailer for a ride. Except for all that, a real nice place to live.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
The levee broke about 3 am Sunday morning and the east and north parts of Coffeyville are now flooded. The refinery has a broken line and the flood water is contaminated with oil and fuel. The water supply is threatened and the intake pumps have been shut off to protect what's stored. A mandatory exacuation is in effect for the flooded areas. Thank God we are safe here but the town is nearly cut off by road.

How's things in your neck of the woods.

Edwin
I'd almost think that was the beginning of a script for some new 'Die Hard' movie, if I didn't know it was true!! Sorry to hear all that Edwin; we didn't get but a couple really needed inches of rain in Kansas City. Hope the flood recedes quick as Nicolas Cage's harline!! Good luck! And save the Cummins', the children, the guns, the women and the beer(in that order)!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey Ed, still afloat??
we got our share yesterday, but no dikes ruptured, so we dotn have the residential flooding.
Chanute, Quenamo, Lyndon, Garnett and Ottawa all have evacuations.
We have all teh rain out of the forecast now( thankfully!) and the rivers should start receding tonight and Monday.

i have only had to deal with a few roads closed and one bridge washed out personally...
let me know if you need anything other than a few buckets and some dry socks...
CD
Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our rains have continued now into July. If we had got today's rain, on June 30th.........we would have broken the record for the most June rainfall EVER in the DFW Metroplex area. The record was set in 1928 and we still only missed it by less than a half inch I believe.

We have shattered all kinds of other records though. We got more rain in one 3 day period this June.......than we got during a 3 MONTH period last year from June-August.

Our city's main water supply lake was down 17 ft earlier this year. Now it is 7ft high. Other area lakes are more than 12 ft high.

There are two highs.....one over Arizona and one over the Southern US with a low in the middle right over us. We keep getting all this Gulf Moisture and constant disturbances creating storms and rain that we NO LONGER need. We are getting the rain that should be going to Atlanta and other parts east of here. This weather is extremely unusual for us in North Texas this time of year. We are usually baking in upper 90 or 100 degree weather by now and not a cloud in site. Our persistent 2 year drought is long gone now.

I am not really complaining............my electric bill from not running the A/C is very low compared to normal. I am tired of the heat, so this weather is really a welcome relief to me. That said, I'd kind of like for it to take a break and come visit us again later next week...
Old 07-02-2007, 02:41 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Yeah, you guys have sure had your share too, so has OK adn Mo..

WE officially got just over 22inches of rain in some areas over a 20 hour time period from Saturday at midnight to Sunday morning...
My area got 10.976per NWS.....
we are normally getting dry hot weather right now( its suppossed to be hay cutting time...)
Old 07-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Chapter President

This is from the NWS for Dallas. The measurement is from DFW Airport, which has NOT had the amounts of rain that some of the other local areas have had. Some are twice the average. The areas that have not flooded have a lot of damage due to erosion. All of the gravel that was on my 900' driveway is gone! No 4WD.....no getting to the barn.......unless you have mud boots.

PRECIPITATION (IN)
YESTERDAY 0.67 3.83 2001 0.08 0.59 0.17
MONTH TO DATE 0.67 0.08 0.59 0.17
SINCE JUN 1 11.77 3.31 8.46 0.51
SINCE JAN 1 32.75 18.99 13.76 14.77
Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

If you guys quit hogging all the rain, I could use some.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 AM

Brother said it has gone down in some places and is up in others. We can get around a bit to the south but the north east is still under water. I'll know a bit more when I go out later. AFAIK the airport is still high and dry which is where the truck is. We're OK here in the west end of the city. There are more flash warnings on the TV though.

I feel sorry for all those people who have had their houses flooded. I feel pretty lucky.

Edwin
Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM

Oklahoma has broken all its previous records for rainfall..
At least 17 consecutive days of rain in OKC. The previous record was 15 in 1933.
And i believe its 17 or 18 inches of rain in the spring months..the previous record was 12" in the 30's.
I am glad we are getting rain because we needed it, but enough is enough! My trailer house is about to float away!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:49 PM

Just got back from a tour of the flooding. I took some pictures of the edges. Here is a link to the archive.

Coffeyville Flood 7-2-2007

Edwin

Quick Reply: 1/3 of the city is flooded!