Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

1/3 of the city is flooded!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Moly Edwin! 147mb zipped file? lol It showed a download of 1hr24min - and that's @ DSL Pro speed(but only reflected 32kb/sec - someone is hogging up your server's bandwidth!). Perhaps you could break it down to a few smaller zippers? I'd like to see your personal pics...you probably did a better job than the heliwhoppers and national news clowns are doing to show it, right? :-)
Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I am waiting the 2 hrs for the pics to load.............. I grew up in Emporia and I have seen some flooding from the Cottonwood river on the south end of town and saw Tuttle Creek so full back in the early 90's the emergency spillway was used- the corps said they would never have to use it!

edwinsmith,
Do you know Bob Nellis? pm me if you do.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by 92DuallyCTD
Holy Moly Edwin! 147mb zipped file? lol It showed a download of 1hr24min - and that's @ DSL Pro speed(but only reflected 32kb/sec - someone is hogging up your server's bandwidth!). Perhaps you could break it down to a few smaller zippers? I'd like to see your personal pics...you probably did a better job than the heliwhoppers and national news clowns are doing to show it, right? :-)
Sorry! I didn't anticipate the demand for pics.

Here is a folder with the individual pics you can browse.

Edwin
Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Sorry! I didn't anticipate the demand for pics.

Here is a folder with the individual pics you can browse.

Edwin
Oh Dude!! Those are some GREAT pics!! Thanks for providing them separately...works very quickly now. That's a slammin camera too, don't see many large pics that resolution. Good job, both subject and pic quality! Sorry to see it is centered around such a disaster in the works, hope everyone and everything recovers quickly, good luck!
Old 07-02-2007, 07:53 PM

There are no deaths around here that I've heard of. Just a lot of property damage and with the oil spill the EPA is involved so they will likely salt the earth which will make recovery 10 times more costly. This is only the tip of the iceberg as far as costs go. The entire neighborhood where I grew up is under several feet of water. We don't expect it to start receeding until Friday and there is more rain possible Wed. or Thurs.

This is like Katrina in a way. We have many cities under water up north and the damage to crops is tremendous. Our roads are cut off to the north and east and we can't go far to the south or west. I would rather have seen a tornado than this flooding. My alergies have started acting up now too.

Our water supply is threatened because of the oil in the water. We only have what was stored so when that runs out we'll be in a more precarious position than we ever thought we'd be in.

And the worst part is I can't get to my truck which is at the airport north of the city.

Edwin
Old 07-02-2007, 08:15 PM

Pretty wet here in Bartlesville too, town is about 6 inchs of water away from being cut in half.We don't have the oil problem though thank God. I think the water should reciede Thursday. Good luck over there and stay dry.

Jed
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by linetrash75
Pretty wet here in Bartlesville too, town is about 6 inchs of water away from being cut in half.We don't have the oil problem though thank God. I think the water should reciede Thursday. Good luck over there and stay dry.

Jed
Yeah, i've been watching things over that way too. I'm hoping we won't have to leave. Even though we're high and dry here the situation with the oil may force more problems. Now, I have read that the river will be above flood stage untill well into next week. There is just too much water and there's no where for it to go. Even after the river goes down we'll have to pump the rest of the water back over the levee, assuming the levee doesn't have to be fixed. I really have no experience with this.

This is really getting depressing.

Edwin
Old 07-03-2007, 12:53 AM

well when i last talk to my mom out there in Eastland,Tx she said the had 36.8 in of rain in june and was expecting more. i heard a romur that one of the damns out there busted just north of town on FM3101 and a good part of the rural areas all around the town had bout 16 in of standing water in the yards and most of the crops were lost but there are a few hay fields still holdin strong but i cant complain to much it never seems to rain when im not deployed.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Chapter President

This was a pretty clever way to deal with the high water.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
This was a pretty clever way to deal with the high water.
That should be the mandatory foundation under all the new homes in New Orleans.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
That should be the mandatory foundation under all the new homes in New Orleans.
ROFLMAO.............
Old 07-05-2007, 08:41 AM

Hey Edwin.

Sorry to hear of the troubles in your area, I hope you will go unscathed as far as your water supply is concerned.

I will be traveling your way next week. We are going to be taking I-40 over to OK City then north up I-35 to Kanas City, ultimately going into Minnesota at the SW corner. At this point I think I will stay on the toll/turnpike from Emporia around Topeka and the I-70 into the west side of KC. Then I-435 to I 29 and north. I am hoping to avoid the trip around the south side if KC on I-35 near the flooded area. Can you tell me anything about the area I am planning to travel through? I really have little choices about taking the route from here in New Mexico to Minnesota. I have traveled up to Denver and across I 70, even traveled up and over on I-80, but the way I am planning is actually the shortest distance and the better roads. I just don't want to add to all the traffic confusions in the KC area due to unfamiliarity.

CD
Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 AM

CD, when you get to Emporia on I-35 you can take it towards KC's south side, then get on I-435 to I-29. It's not been hammered as bad as the smaller state roads.

For example 59 north of Garnett is down to one lane for a while 'cause the sholder is washed so bad it is dangerous. 69 south of Louisburg is closed is spots down south to TradingPost. The RR has track under repair from Henson to North of Ft. Scott, from LaCygne south, from Lane south.

Where you going in MN? Must not be too far from Worthington!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:24 AM

Hey D2 Cat.

I'm going to Echo for a family reunion and the in-laws 60th wedding anniversary. Also over to Redwood Falls,a short dirt road or two away from Echo.

I took the I-35 out of Emporia around the south side the last trip, thought I might try the other way this time, it may save some time and also I'd be one less person on the roads near the flooded area.

CD
Old 07-05-2007, 10:29 PM

When you take I-35 to Topeka and then to KC you're taking 2 legs of the triangle. Go from Emporia to KC. It's a good trip, shorter and no Turnpike fees (like from Topeka to KC).

There's really not any flooding in the area you're traveling. The front stalled out just south of I-35 from Wed 6/29 to Sun. AM 7/1. You'd have to be East of I-35 to see any road damage.

When you get to Sioux Falls how do you get over to Redwood Falls, I-90 east, then north on 60 to 71?

Quick Reply: 1/3 of the city is flooded!