Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

****BREAKROOM - 2/23 to 3/1 ****

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
No more dogs.........ever..........
Please don't think that Chris. I said the same thing for 15 years after I lost Ranger. Then Jake came along and I realized I wasted 15 years.

Name:  Crescent_Last_Will_grande_zpsd2288fb9.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  176.4 KB
Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job Scott
I'm crying
Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Great job Scott
I'm crying
#1 - I think it's the truth

#2 - I cry every time I see that pic
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 PM

And you watched the whole ten minutes thinking that something different was going to happen, right? Go on, admit it, it's ok!
Nope. About the third time through I moved on.
It is played so poorly that it does sound like Smoke on the water but I actually think it is Sunshine of Your Love by Cream.
(I still have the Disraeli Gears album).
Those of us there decided it was Smoke on the water. It's a calliope, essentially a scaled-down organ.
good! now listen to the vet when he/she says NO PEOPLE FOOD
oops Huck got half a pizza the other night just so I wouldn't eat the whole dang thing!
He still doesn't put on any weight. I think he's a little light but the vets say he's in good shape.
And next week you'll come across one that you just can't pass up.

Insert favorite string of defamatory words here amigo. Thing's got me so mad at it I can't really put words to it. Drove it to the hospital today for a check-up with the surgeon. Came out and it's dead. Doesn't seem to be pushing any fuel out of the tank. When I put a filter in it last week I didn't get any water out of the tank. For some reason though it won't run when it's below freezing. Walked a mile each way to NAPA and dropped another 17 bucks on a fuel filter and it then it wouldn't even pop.
Tempted to go down, clean it out, and put a "for sale" sign in it.
Springer was able to pick me up and bring me up to the shop so I could get the Dodge. Had to cold start it after sitting for a week to bring it home (needs the rubber line at the lift pump replaced). Hate doing that when it's in the teens.

Huck had a heck of a time sitting in the middle on the way home too. It was too cold for him to ride in back, but I think he still wanted to. He's kinda goofy like that.

Made some spaghetti for supper. Cooked up some mild Italian sausage and chicken. Put some of each in a half a jar of chunky mushroom sauce, turned out OK. Should have hit the chicken with some lemon pepper or garlic herb when cooking it. Green onion I cut up for the sauce was good in it.

Have a roast, some red potatoes, couple sweet potatoes, minced garlic, green onions, sliced carrots, and a can of cream of mushroom soup I will probably dump together and cook tomorrow.

Started a fire when I got home. House is warmed up a little and the floor isn't cold! Warm floor goes a long way
Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner
Yeah. I can remember that but I can't remember what I did with my reading glasses.

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
healthy fried chicken,
I really hope that by healthy fried chicken you meant seasoned and breaded with grandmas secret recipe than fried in a cast iron skillet in lard.

Blackened salmon and grilled squash for supper Yum! A little out of focus but tasted great!
Grilled squash. Sounds good. I keep forgetting about grilling veggies.

That's what we said some years back. We are getting close to breaking our vow of no-dog.
Dog always felt sorry for me even if it was my own fault.
Wife would just call me stupid.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Then Jake came along and I realized I wasted 15 years.
Great job Scott
sigh...I don't like going to bed sad.

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Those of us there decided it was Smoke on the water. It's a calliope, essentially a scaled-down organ.
Ya made me dig out both albums.
I'm still pretty sure its Sunshine of Your Love by Cream.

-It's gettin' near dawn,
-When lights close their tired eyes.

Its better with booze, ***** and black lights. (uh, by ***** I mean the idiots I hung out with---honest)
Old 02-26-2014, 05:26 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Blackened salmon and grilled squash for supper Yum! A little out of focus but tasted great!
you plate looks a little empty...
Old 02-26-2014, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Nope. About the third time through I moved on.

... amigo. Thing's got me so mad at it I can't really put words to it. Drove it to the hospital today for a check-up with the surgeon. Came out and it's dead.
How many times does this make? I hope everyone takes note that this guy, who has an Amigo that won't stay running, is the same guy who recommends Stihl as the saw of choice. Isn't that kinda like taking financial advice from someone who's bankrupt?

Warm floor goes a long way
Yep... long way to determining a basement fire!

Originally Posted by Bark
We are getting close to breaking our vow of no-dog.
Dog always felt sorry for me even if it was my own fault.
Wife would just call me stupid.
You should probably have a couple dogs.

Originally Posted by Bark
Its better with booze, ***** and black lights. (uh, by ***** I mean the idiots I hung out with---honest)
Hmmm... I'll let it slide this time, tho I may get over-ruled by da boss!

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
If he wasn't the guy that signed my paycheck, I'd probably point out that he's been a few portions shy of a full plate for quite a while now.

7 below and an inch of snow, this stupid weather has got to go!

Morning all.

It is Wednesday, February 26th.

1863 - U.S. President Lincoln signed the National Currency Act.

1870 - In New York City, the first pneumatic-powered subway line was opened to the public.

1907 - The U.S. Congress raised their own pay to $7500.

1919 - In Arizona, the Grand Canyon was established as a National Park with an act of the U.S. Congress.

1929 - U.S. President Coolidge signed a bill creating the Grand Teton National Park.

1930 - New York City installed traffic lights.

1933 - A ground-breaking ceremony was held at Crissy Field for the Golden Gate Bridge.

1945 - In the U.S., a nationwide midnight curfew went into effect.

1987 - The Tower Commission rebuked U.S. President Reagan for failing to control his national security staff in the wake of the Iran-Contra affair.

1993 - Six people were killed and more than a thousand injured when a van exploded in the parking garage beneath the World Trade Center in New York City. The bomb had been built by Islamic extremists.

1998 - A Texas jury rejected an $11 million lawsuit by Texas cattlemen who blamed Oprah Winfrey for price drop after on-air comment about mad-cow disease.

1998 - In Oregon, a health panel rules that taxpayers must help to pay for doctor-assisted suicides.

2009 - The Pentagon reveresed its 18-year policy of not allowing media to cover returning war dead. The reversal allowsd some media coverage with family approval.

Today's thought:
Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for We.

C0ffee is hot 'n ready!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Good morning from Paradise. Another ----- well, you know.

Been too busy to check in here lately. Hope that make some of you happy.

Just a quick visit to say hi, grab a cup of the janitors coffee and then get back to my busy-ness.

Do have a question for the computer 'spurts here. I have an older friend in her mid 70's. She is not stupid and has her wits about her, but has a new laptop with Windows 8 and that OS is driving her crazy. She is NOT computer literate. Can anybody suggest a better OS for her so that she can get that darn W8 dumped? All she does is with the computer is emails, do some online research, play some games (Solitaire etc). She also needs a good word processor.

Thanks for the cawfee.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Greetings!

Great coffee!
Stan, I've heard similar about W8. Dont have it. Older puter. Curious what is suggested.

Sorry bout the (censored) on the counter and in the coffee. Someone sneezed 23 times.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Cold has returned to KS, wind chill is minus 2F out right now.. think I solved the problem of the chickens water freezing tho,.. bought a heated dog bowl, tore the heating plate off of it and siliconed it to the bottom of the galvanized poultry waterer.. so far its working..
Chris - I had a similar problem with the horse waterer that I have in the barn for the barn cats. I got a magnetic oil pan heater that is typically used for tractors and trucks and stuck it to the bottom of the waterer. I had to put heat tape on the water line that goes to the waterer. I plug it in every fall and unplug it when the warm weather arrives in the spring.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
That was actually a larger piece of fish than I usually eat.......trying to get back down to my fighting weight
Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa

If he wasn't the guy that signed my paycheck, I'd probably point out that he's been a few portions shy of a full plate for quite a while now.
Well there goes that urge I had to double your Christmas Bonus this year
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 AM
DTR Mom

Hello Foreigners! temperature opposites. Stan, I LOVE hearing about blue sunny skies and lunch under the trees....escapism.

10 degrees, strong winds. wind chill is obscene.

bark, panko crust with BBQ seasonings in grapeseed oil. medium heat. oh yeah. gluten free, had to learn a whole new way of cooking.

Topper! when should I bring the venison and wine?

NEFarm, man I feel for ya! SOS means shoot on sight. bro in law used an amigo for a field 4 wheeler, took that insulation foil to keep the pump and lines happy. hope you can heal better without the worry on the wheels....
your cooking sounds great!

gonna play N California people who found the buried coins from the 1840s.....metal detectors work better in the cold.....
Old 02-26-2014, 09:58 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
Hello Foreigners! Temperature opposites. Stan, I LOVE hearing about blue sunny skies and lunch under the trees....escapism.
Heidi,the following is just for you to read. Everybody else, quit reading. After I read the above I decided to copy an email that I sent out last Saturday to my extended family, the ones who have never been to Mexico. Here is the email in it's entirety:

Hi everybody, just wanted to give y'all an idea of what life is like in Mexico. Just a very small slice.

Yesterday, Tere's oldest son got married. His name is Eduardo (Edward), but for some unknown reason, all Eduardo's in Mexico are known as Lalo. Mexico being a prominent Catholic country makes everybody who wants to get married, have two weddings. The first wedding is always what is known as the civil or legal wedding. This takes place at the office of an elected marriage official, such as a judge. This judge will also go to a place where the wedding will be held. The civil wedding is a small affair, normally only attended by the close family and legal witnesses who sign the wedding document at that time. Lalo had planned a dinner after the civil wedding, so the place where the dinner was held, made a small private room available for the judge and wedding party. The religious wedding normally takes place a few days later at the church and then there are lots of guests. According to the church, the newly married couple cannot sleep together as man and wife until after the religious wedding.

Mexico used to be controlled and dominated by the Spanish, so scattered around Mexico there are many old Spanish estates. These estates are no longer what they used to be a few hundred years ago and most of the old estates have had the land sold and the large main houses, known as haciendas and turned into hotels or a combination of hotel and restaurant. Hacienda is the Spanish word for estate.

Borrowed from Wikipedia:
In Spanish America, the owner of a hacienda was called the hacendado or patrón. Aside from the small circle at the top of the hacienda society, the remainder were peones, campesinos (peasants), or mounted ranch hands variously called vaqueros and gauchos (in the Southern Cone), among other terms. The peones worked land that belonged to the patrón. The campesinos worked small holdings, and owed a portion of their crops to the patrón. The economy of the eighteenth century was largely a barter system, with little specie circulated on the hacienda.
Stock raising was central to ranching haciendas, and most estate raised enough stock to supply their own needs. Where the hacienda included working mines, as in Mexico, the patrón might gain immense wealth. The unusually large and profitable Jesuit hacienda Santa Lucía, near Mexico City, established in 1576 and lasting to the expulsion in 1767, has been reconstructed by Herman Konrad from archival sources. This reconstruction has revealed the nature and operation of the hacienda system in Mexico, its peones, its systems of land tenure and the workings of its isolated, intradependent society.

No doubt you are wondering why I jumped from wedding to haciandas? That is because I wanted to try to share with you the next stage of the wedding yesterday. We had a meal with Tere's family and the brides family at an old hacienda, now turned into a nice restaurant. I always enjoy going to eat at haciandas as I enjoy the ambiance. We have have one about 2 kms from our house and another about 6 kms away. The one we were at yesterday was in the opposite direction and is maybe 8 kms from our house. The one we were at yesterday was this one:
http://www.restauranteloslaureles.com/
http://www.restauranteloslaureles.com/sitio/

All the haciendas that I have been in have a very large courtyard and this is where we ate yesterday. I love eating outside in the shade under an umbrella or sitting in the shade of palm trees. Every Sunday we go out to have brunch with an older couple and lately we go to a place where we eat under palm trees.

Maybe you have heard about the famous Mexican mariachi bands. If not, take a look at this and play some of the selections: http://www.folkways.si.edu/explore_f.../mariachi.aspx
The band that played for us yesterday is the same one shown as in the first link. They had 6 violins, I regular guitar, another guitar, but a smaller version, a bass guitar and two guys with trumpets. They like to stroll around, surround a table and play. They also play and sing requests. Many guests sing along with them. The guys with the trumpets normally stay in the background because they are so loud.

Hope you now get an idea of what life is like here sometimes. Yesterday was a small slice of the real Mexico and as Mexican as you can get.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 PM

How many times does this make? I hope everyone takes note that this guy, who has an Amigo that won't stay running, is the same guy who recommends Stihl as the saw of choice. Isn't that kinda like taking financial advice from someone who's bankrupt?
I think I've mentioned that this one has impressed me. But Stihl's are running 50/50 with me so far. First one was junk. This one is good.

That was the third time through the loop. Not the entire video.
Never cooked a roast before. At least without a grill.

Ran across this link on another site. Soda Finder. Just sit down before you see the prices. RC cola can be found just about anywhere. It's also bottled as Sam's cola.

Quick Reply: ****BREAKROOM - 2/23 to 3/1 ****