Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

****BREAKROOM - 2/23 to 3/1 ****

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Do have a question for the computer 'spurts here. I have an older friend in her mid 70's. She is not stupid and has her wits about her, but has a new laptop with Windows 8 and that OS is driving her crazy. She is NOT computer literate. Can anybody suggest a better OS for her so that she can get that darn W8 dumped? All she does is with the computer is emails, do some online research, play some games (Solitaire etc). She also needs a good word processor.
Much as I hate you for rubbing in this durned weather, I feel the need to help.

Before you junk windows 8, try running Classic Shell on it. My boss, who should know, says 8 actually behaves better, especially in using it's resources like memory, better than 7 or even XP. The shell is crap. Classic Shell fixes that.

http://www.classicshell.net/
Old 02-26-2014, 05:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Holly cow thats fast

I know this is a Diesel Site but im getting my duster ready for the road this spring and a friend told me about this local guy just up the road a piece and his mustang that runs 4.24 in the 1/8. This thing is bad fast. check it out

http://www.dragzine.com/news/david-p...orgia-on-275s/
Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evening all...
got to play with the new little tractor today, cleaned ou tthe small barn and pen.. scooped up about 5 tons of manure in about an hour and a half, so Im happy with it..

Name:  001-2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  65.3 KB

The "no more dogs...ever" sentiment is whatTHE BOSS has vowed...
I have to admit Im already looking at breeders and rescues for another Rottie..I'd prefer to rescue one, but there aren't many available for this area of the country.. there are a lot in the northern tier states, but most wont allow an adoption out of their state. You'd think theyd be more interested in palcing the dogs than that...
.I'm just gonna keep my eyes open and if one comes along, great, if not, so be it...

Went saw shopping this afternoon, but I'll add that to the other thread..
Old 02-26-2014, 06:15 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
The "no more dogs...ever" sentiment is what THE BOSS has vowed...
No problems than. She is gonna cave before you do.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
:7 below and an inch of snow, this stupid weather has got to go!
LoL--Sounds like the kind of cheer the plow drivers would make right before leaving the shop.

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
gluten free, had to learn a whole new way of cooking.
I keep forgetting about that and I shouldn't. My Sister in OR has been diagnosed with Celiac for over 20 years.
Too bad it took so long to figure out her problem.

Hope you now get an idea of what life is like here sometimes.
I know, I wasn't supposed to read it. Sounds nice. Makes me want to start cracking my Spanish books again.

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Soda Finder. Just sit down before you see the prices.
If you like root beer try Henry Weinhard's. For some reason I think its the best.

Can anybody suggest a better OS for her so that she can get that darn W8 dumped? She also needs a good word processor.
I know nothing about W8 but my Brother has it on his new PC.
He installed Linux Light as an extra OS making it duel boot. He went with Firefox and Open office (all free). Not sure what he uses for antivirus.
Windows 8 is still there if he needs it but he rarely does.
Probably better ideas out there but my Brother is the only person I actually know that went this route.
Of course she would need somebody to set it up for her.

Originally Posted by railroaderone
This thing is bad fast. check it out
That is fast and he was spot on coming out.
If he pulled up to me, my car would roll over with all four tires in the air.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's so many places that you have to fill out an application then they come inspect your place before you can get a dog from them. Most seem to be run by HSUS/ASPCA types. The pound here has applications but if the dog likes you they let you have it. Tiny was real bashful, but I sat on the floor and she curled up between my knees. Lori (lady who runs the pound) told me there was no way I was leaving without her.

Chris- bottom of page: http://mccookhumanesociety.com/dogs.asp
Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Administrator

The "no more dogs...ever" sentiment is whatTHE BOSS has vowed...
Well straighten her out!

Originally Posted by Bark
I know nothing about W8 but my Brother...
You have a brother? There's more of you?

Evening all. I didn't do one darn constructive thing today besides feed the boiler. Started a coupla things, finished nothing. Resting up for my DOT physical tomorrow I guess.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:48 PM

Resting up for my DOT physical tomorrow I guess.
They checked my blood pressure when I went in yesterday. 108 over 60. Must be doing something right.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Much as I hate you for rubbing in this durned weather, I feel the need to help.

Before you junk windows 8, try running Classic Shell on it. My boss, who should know, says 8 actually behaves better, especially in using it's resources like memory, better than 7 or even XP. The shell is crap. Classic Shell fixes that.

http://www.classicshell.net/

You are a gentleman and I thank you. Will give her a call tomorrow and let her know about this option. Hopefully she can find someone to install it for her and show her how to use it.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM
DTR Mom

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Well straighten her out!

You have a brother? There's more of you?

Evening all. I didn't do one darn constructive thing today besides feed the boiler. Started a coupla things, finished nothing. Resting up for my DOT physical tomorrow I guess.
you are just looking forward to being probed.......don't know how you are gonna sleep tonight. heheheh. hope they don't check yer eyes.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:43 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

After Tuesday I will probably not be around for a while. Taking my wife for a long two month vacation that has been in planning (and saving for) for about 2 years. Wednesday is going to be a loooooong day for both of us. We leave the house around 4 a.m. by taxi to go to the bus depot and catch a bus for a 3 hour ride to Mexico City airport. We could fly there, but by the time we check in, pick up our bags at the other end, wait a few hours for our connection, it is quicker by bus - plus about 10 times cheaper. Less hassle too. The buses are all late model luxury tour buses, so the seats are nicer than the plane.

From Mexico City we fly to Atlanta (3.25 hours) and have a 4 hour layover. Then we take a very long nonstop 15 hour and 22 minute flight to Johannesberg (arriving the next day) where I pick up a rental car and also where we will spend the night. Next morning we have a 5 hour drive to our first destination. Have to remember to stay left while driving because they drive on the opposite side of the road there. Hope I remember how to do this. It should be OK, because I grew up driving on the left.

Thought about dropping in once in a while just to let y'all know what I am up to, but don't want to make any of you jealous. If anybody wants to know where I am or what I am doing, just ask. Told my wife that this is going to be the vacation of a lifetime for her and to expect to be stretched with all her new experiences. They will not be new for me. She is both excited and nervous at the same time. Bet she will not sleep much on Tuesday night.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:58 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stan, sounds like a fantastic trip ahead of ya...
Stay safe and enjoy!!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Stan, sounds like a fantastic trip ahead of ya...
Stay safe and enjoy!!

Thanks Chris. My plan is to stay VERY safe and enjoy every moment!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM

Just watched a video, one with plenty of people who have no business holding a gun, let alone firing one. The highlight I think is about the 1:20 mark, guy grabs his pistol, you see a flash in the holster, his jeans ruffle about the knee, he drops it, grabs the knee, and colorfully says "I JUST SHOT MY SELF!" while limping toward the camera.
I'd post the link but there's a fair amount of cursing after that.
And a guy holding a rifle out in front of his face, sighting down the barrel, and you can guess where it goes when he pulls the trigger. I think all he did was cry, because he was pretty quiet as he hit the dirt.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Thanks Chris. My plan is to stay VERY safe and enjoy every moment!
If you do get a chance to check in we wont even mind if you mention the weather. Enjoy.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Administrator

They checked my blood pressure when I went in yesterday. 108 over 60. Must be doing something right.
You're young. Give it a few years.

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
you are just looking forward to being probed...
I don't think the DOT cares about what's up there!

And a guy holding a rifle out in front of his face, sighting down the barrel, and you can guess where it goes when he pulls the trigger. I think all he did was cry, because he was pretty quiet as he hit the dirt.
People are generally pretty quiet when they die!

Morning all. Wood boiler was making odd noises this morning. Sounded like air, a banging noise from inside the water jacket. Water level was fine, both pumps pumping fine, temperature was normal. Still don't know what it was/is, but that's why I'm a tad late. Messing around with the boiler in a wind-driven blizzard is always a 5AM favorite of mine!

It is Thursday, February 27th.

1801 - The city of Washington, DC, was placed under congressional jurisdiction.

1827 - New Orleans held its first Mardi Gras celebration.

1867 - Dr. William G. Bonwill invented the dental mallet.

1896 - The "Charlotte Observer" published a picture of an X-ray photograph made by Dr. H.L. Smith. The photograph showed a perfect picture of all the bones of a hand and a bullet that Smith had placed between the third and fourth fingers in the palm.

1922 - The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the 19th Amendment that guaranteed women the right to vote.

1951 - The 22nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified, limiting U.S. Presidents to two terms.

1972 - The Shanghai Communique was issued by U.S. President Nixon and Chinese Premier Chou En-lai.

1973 - The American Indian Movement occupied Wouned Knee in South Dakota.

1981 - Chrysler Corporation was granted an additional $400 million in federal loan guarantees. Chrysler had posted a loss of $1.7 billion in 1980.

1982 - Wayne B. Williams was convicted of murdering two of the 28 black children and young adults whose bodies were found in Atlanta, GA, over a two-year period.

1990 - The Exxon Corporation and Exxon Shipping were indicted on five criminal counts in reference to the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill.

1991 - U.S. President George H.W. Bush announced live on television that "Kuwait is liberated."

2002 - In Boston, twenty people working at Logan International Airport were charged with lying to get their jobs or security badges.

Today's thought:
There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.

C0ffee's on!

Quick Reply: ****BREAKROOM - 2/23 to 3/1 ****