Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Synthetic Winch Rope

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
D45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic Winch Rope

Ok guys.......I am replacing the 3/8" steel cable on my Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch with some safer and more user friendly synthetic winch rope/line

Why such the HUGE price difference? It seems that most are Amsteel or Amsteel blue......but the price varies from $250 to $700

I am also going to opt for the larger 7/16" diameter rope, so I shold be able to spool 80'-90' on my drum;

Masterpull: $650+
http://www.masterpull.com/item.cfm?itemid=46481

Viking Offroad: $330 for an 90' length
http://www.winchline.com/vtl_wl_wst.html

Rockstomper: $258 for an 90' length
http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm

Amsteel Blue: $250 for an 80' length
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_in...ducts_id/23386

Custom Splice: $230 for an 80' length
http://www.customsplice.com/store/7-...inch_rope.html
Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as the rope in question is using Dyneema SK75 fibers, you will have a quality, high strength rope which will have the most strength per dollar. Several of the ropes you linked are using SK75. However, you have a lot of other variations of ropes posted. The Masterpull Superline is certianly the very best and definitely the most durable as it is completely covered in a sheeth to protect the fibers from dirt, moisture and UV light. Frequently, I hear of it lasting at least 3-4 times as long because it is so well protected. But the initial purchase price sure hurts. Remember that these synth ropes are NOT durable. They will simply not last as long as cable. Small dirt/sand particles get into the rope fibers and will literally grind the rope up from the inside out. As well, some ropes are coated for UV resistance. Uncoated/treated dyneema based ropes have poor UV resistance and will degrade.

You get what you pay for here. If you find a cheap synth rope, chances are you will be getting what you pay for. I would suggest chatting with Masterpull on the phone. They are at the top of their game and can help you select the rope that best suits your needs.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:28 AM
D45

I bought some 7/16" x 80' Amsteel Blue rope from Custom Splice

Smoking good price and rated for 21,900 pounds
Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 PM

I've got a Masterpull 3/8" -125 ft on my Jeep and have been really pleased with it. I have ran it for about 6 years and worked a lot of rock crawling comps doing recovery here on the right coast. Rope is a lot safer and stronger in a lot of cases but you do have to take care of it a lot better than cable.

With that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to drop another wad of cash on another MasterPull rope.

Sent from Sputnik. Please send more Tang.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:39 PM

Personally, I am a fan of custom splice...
Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Safer and more user friendly? NO it is NOT.

Rope is EXTREMELY susceptible to abrasion when under tension. Which means failure prone. If handled carefully it is fine, but if not handled carefully it is a hazard due to being fragile. One other detail to consider is that most fibers used in winch ropes degrade in strength over time regardless of care.

And to stop the nonsense before it starts, I am a certified tech2 rope rescuer. I love rope, but it's a bad choice for a winch unless in a competition vehicle or where saving weight really matters.

Just two days ago my buddy's winch rope failed dropping an excavator back on it's lid. I set it back on it's tracks with my cable winch. He's getting rid of the rope and going back to cable.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM
D45

I've been using this rope for the past year and a half, without ANY issues or problems

I won't EVER go back to cable, but thanks for the info
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by totalloser
Safer and more user friendly? NO it is NOT.

Rope is EXTREMELY susceptible to abrasion when under tension. Which means failure prone. If handled carefully it is fine, but if not handled carefully it is a hazard due to being fragile. One other detail to consider is that most fibers used in winch ropes degrade in strength over time regardless of care.

And to stop the nonsense before it starts, I am a certified tech2 rope rescuer. I love rope, but it's a bad choice for a winch unless in a competition vehicle or where saving weight really matters.

Just two days ago my buddy's winch rope failed dropping an excavator back on it's lid. I set it back on it's tracks with my cable winch. He's getting rid of the rope and going back to cable.
x2 ! i've used winches in 4 wheeling for 40 years, i tried the rope but as stated its very prone to abrasion and just being out in the weather on a winch affects it, it actually should be replaced after just a few years and inspected constantly. True it will go to the ground alot quicker than a cable if it breaks, but a winch weight, (coat,blanket,whatever) should always be used on a cable. and the rope is easier to handle, but for safety and reliability, I have also gone back to cable.