Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

How Much Winch Do I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Much Winch Do I Need?

I have a 2006 MegaCab 4X4 Diesel (of course) and would like to get a winch. I'm wondering how big of winch I need? I don't do any off-roading I would just be using it to get un-stuck about once every year or two, usually in snow. I have found a 3,000 lb winch for a very reasonable cost. I realize that it won't pull my truck up a cliff, but would it be enough to help me get out of the occasional snow drift? I can't see spending hundreds of dollars for something that I'll only use rarely. I also would like the winch to be portable so I can use it to pull items (snowmobile etc.) into my enclosed trailer if needed, so I would want something relatively light weight.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:34 PM

personaly i wouldn't go with anything smaller than 6K, prefeably when i get around to it I would like to get a 12K. warn has some reall cool ones that also have air compressors built in. as for potability for pulling sleds in i think that the little plug into the cig. lighter ones would have enought pull to do it.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 PM

I was kind of thinking along the 6,000 lb lines as well, but thought that I could always do a double line pull with the 3,000 to get 6,000 lbs straight line pull and usually that would be enough to get me out. Especially if I'm able to assist the winch with the tires turning?

I know that warne and others make some awesome winches, and if I were off-roading I'd probably spend the money for a bigger winch. But I can buy a new 3,000 lb. winch for $70! I also have a huge tow rope and a tow strap if I'm really stuck and have another vehicle around. But I was thinking that $70 is pretty cheap if it saves me some shoveling
Old 01-01-2009, 11:30 PM

I have a 2500 pound winch on my 700 some pound 4-wheeler...it pulls it out adequately...

If you get an 8000+lb. truck stuck, a 6000 pound winch is going to do nothing but go off on thermal overload, and probably drain your batteries in the process.

A 3000 lb. winch would be like trying to put out a structure fire with a glass of water, IMHO.

At the minimum, a 10,000lb winch...

Personally, I'd get a 16.5K winch.

They make portable winch's that you can use to pull vehicle's onto your trailer with.

Just my .02.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by megacabdad
I have a 2500 pound winch on my 700 some pound 4-wheeler...it pulls it out adequately...

If you get an 8000+lb. truck stuck, a 6000 pound winch is going to do nothing but go off on thermal overload, and probably drain your batteries in the process.

A 3000 lb. winch would be like trying to put out a structure fire with a glass of water, IMHO.

At the minimum, a 10,000lb winch...

Personally, I'd get a 16.5K winch.

They make portable winch's that you can use to pull vehicle's onto your trailer with.

Just my .02.

A 10,000lb. Warne winch runs about $800-$1000. I'm just not able to spend that much. If winches were free or if I were loaded I'd have a 20,000 lb. winch. But, unfortunately, that is not the case...not in my world anyway. If the smaller winch will be worthless to me then I will just keep on going through life with no winch at all. I appreciate the input though.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to have a 4500# winch on my Jeep Cherokee, its was barely able to pull it out of the snow when stuck. I used to use a ****** block when needed but that cut the usable length of cable in half which was around 30ft. Not very useful if the nearest winch point is 50ft away. It got replaced with a 9.5K warn winch. I use it on my tilt deck trailer now for pulling dead vehicles on.

I have a 2500# winch bolted to the floor of my garage for pulling dead vehicles into the garage. It barely pulls my 3500 dually in.

I don't think a 3k winch will do much if you are stuck in a ditch, might be ok for just pulling thru a drift and not fighting uphill. Also you get what you pay for, I'm guessing a $70 winch will not take much abuse. How much cable is on it? Cann't really double line it if its got less than 50ft and still get any usable reach out of it.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 PM

I would go ahead and get the 3,000 lb winch.

To load the trailer.

I would look at something closer to the weight rating of the truck. Also when you figure weight, it increases dramatically depending on how "stuck" you are.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:09 AM

Has anyone ever tried using a winch in conjunction with a tow strap or tow rope? I've often wondered how it would work to tighten the winch against the tow rope until the rope is streched and then try driving out? It would probably have to be tightened up more than once but it maybe it would get the truck moving. Usually if I can get the truck moving at all back-and-forth I will be able to work my way out.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 AM

You will need something like this...

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessorie..._blocks_.shtml
Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
get a real winch.... go with a pto winch costs more but you will never run out of powerhttp://www.ramsey.com/winches/industrial.html
Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by megacabdad
You will need something like this...

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessorie..._blocks_.shtml

You buy it for me, I'll gladly install it!

OOps! I saw Warn.com and thought it was a winch. I know that I'll definately need a ****** block to make it work.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
get a real winch.... go with a pto winch costs more but you will never run out of power....
Till the engine dies or a shaft lets go..... PTOs are great for industrial use like on tow trucks but for offroad recovery the simplest,cheapest and most reliable is still a good electric winch.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
get a real winch.... go with a pto winch costs more but you will never run out of powerhttp://www.ramsey.com/winches/industrial.html
Same thing here.....You buy, I'll install!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by tckitt13
Has anyone ever tried using a winch in conjunction with a tow strap or tow rope? I've often wondered how it would work to tighten the winch against the tow rope until the rope is streched and then try driving out? It would probably have to be tightened up more than once but it maybe it would get the truck moving. Usually if I can get the truck moving at all back-and-forth I will be able to work my way out.
This will work for extending the winch line so you can hook onto a point that is out of reach of your cable, especially if you are using a ****** block but if you are thinking of it like stretching an elastic and bungeeing yourself out...then no that won't happen.

Also driving while winching can be VERY hard on a winch and even damage it if not done right. If you overrun the winch then slide back while spooling in you can take out the planetary gears from the shock load or even snap the cable. For this reason a winch's cable should not be used to tow someone out either. Just enough throttle should be applied to spin the tires and help the wincg out, not redline the engine and throw snow for 50feet.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 AM

Yep, I knew this would happen. I've stated a couple of times already that price is a huge issue for me....but I guess I'll repeat it.

Price is an issue.

I do not have the funds to purchase an $800 or more winch.

The only reason that I'm considering any winch at all is because I found this one at a very reaonable price. But if it's not going to do me any good, I won't waste the money on this one either.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the input. But I did not ask "what is the BEST winch for me?" I asked if this one would be any use or if it was useless to consider buying it.

Quick Reply: How Much Winch Do I Need?