Natl. and Regional Chapters / Special Events Discuss events and rallies here. Also discuss your local and regional chapters.

drag racing wedsday night

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drag racing wedsday night

well i have a few friends that are heading to the track tomorrow night. i really wanted to have the 4x4 up and working. but i have still not had a chance to get a new front drive shaft. so i am going to run it in 2wd and try for a decent launch. i can smoke the rear duals for 200 feet right now if i rev it up to 3k and just ease the clutch out. not a drop the hammer by any means. i will be launching in 3rd and just shifting once into 4th and stay there till i am through the traps. so i am thinking just rev it to 2300 or so and just take it real easy for the first 20 or 30 feet. anyone got any better ideas? i fugure i should still be good for the 9's in the 1/8 at close to 80mph. if anyone in the dfw area wants to play come awn, 10 bucks for all the runs you want at kennedale.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Banned

I might have to come spectate!

Forrest
Old 05-10-2005, 11:13 AM

gunracer,

I have some questions.......I have the south bend con ofe 13" and wonder what would be the best way for me to launch. Truck is 4x4, maybe wishful thinking but I hope upper 300's hp. You can see the rest in my sig. I don't want to break stuff, but would like to know what will get me off the line the quickest. Does slipping the clutch to launch in 3rd wreak havok on the clutch? Thanks.

Waylan
Old 05-10-2005, 11:37 AM

i had a 13" southbend before i went to the dual disk, it did not like to launch at all in 3rd gear with mine being a dually. i could not get it off the line hardly at all. i have a six speed now and 3rd is a bit lower than the 5 speed and i can just rev it to the moon in4th to get a decent e.t.
as much as i hate to say it 2nd gear launch will net you quickest e.t.'s in a 5 speed unless you have a real good dual disk. you should be right at 400 rwhp if you still have the 12cm ex housing. more if you have a bigger one or have a bigger wastegate set up.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:46 PM

drag racing wednesday night

Did you have the 13" ofe or fe? Would you go for a boost pressure or rpm for launching? I know the guys with the autos go for boost powerbraking, but wondered what would be the best for a stick? I realize anything is possible, but what do you think the chances are of breaking something with a hard launch in 2nd? Will all 4 spin before something would break? I still have the stock 12 cm ex housing. I would like to get a HTB2 and be done. I still need to adjust my governor arm too. Anyway, appreciate the info alot.

Waylan
Old 05-10-2005, 03:02 PM

i twisted off a input on my nv4500 at 40 or 50 mph in 4th gear 20k or so miles ago. i had the fe version of the 13.25 conversion set up, i have since pulled that out and sold it to forrest. i push 5 lbs of boost at 3000 rpm in neutral so i just pull up rev it up and put just enough drag on the clutch to feel it. i don't think you will break anything as long as you don't just side step the clutch. when i broke m input i was spinning and grabbing going through a big curve, 3rd time it broke free and grabbed POW! we were walking. the 12cm will work better for drag racing in the 1/8th, you need the boost quick. my con fe held the power fine as long as i did not speed shift it from 3rd to 4th. with my big heavy truck it would just slip till i backed out of the fuel. on a 3/4 ton i am sure it would have just spun the tires a bit. but i have 4 285's on the rear with a super tight limited slip. i will be running in 2wd tomorrow and just see what i can do.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:21 PM

When you say side step the clutch, I assume you mean letting your foot snap off the side of the clutch, resulting in immediate engagement? Would you ease into it or lightly load it and dump it?

Also, since mine is the ofe, do you think it will take much abuse at my power level?

When you say 12 cm, do you mean on my hx35 or on the HTB2? I have to get out of mine pretty quick......I've held it at 1500 for 5 seconds or so, but I started getting nervous and backed out.......that was to get to 110mph, and that's not from 0 - 100 either. That is nursing it to 95 or so and then stabbing to see where I can get. With the 4kgsk I know I can get more speed than that, but I would like to go straight from 60 to 120 or so w/o having to let out. Also, I have 265's. Thanks for the info.

Waylan
Old 05-10-2005, 03:38 PM

some clutchs hold better than others, mine would never hold a quick 3 to 4 shift if i was flogging on it. even when it was in the 350 hp range. i have seen others lighter clutches hold up great to bigger hp. heck my wifes truck is still running the stock clutch and is at 350 or so and holding prettty good at 230k or so.
i let the clutch out pretty quick once i get the green light but it is still a controlled release, not a dump. i was looking forward to putting it in 4wd and leaving the like at 4k plus with a pretty good dump of the clutch. but i still don't have my front drive shaft in so i will have to wait till next time.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:47 AM

well it was a disaster, the truck would not hook up at all. i could spin past half track not even trying. heck it spun 30 to 50 feet hitting forth. so i will not go back till i have the front drive shaft hooked up. did have a good time, my buddies 5 speed 4x4 did 10.05 and i think he would have been in the 9s with a good run. had a power stroke 2wd running 10teens.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Missed this thread completely or would have showed....was working in the Dallas area, too.

Where is Kenedale? How often do they race?

RJ
Old 05-12-2005, 10:49 AM

about 5 miles south of i-20 s.e. of ft.worth