MEDTR #36 Forum for the Maine chapter #36

CTD service outlets

Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTD service outlets

I'll get this Chapter forum moving. I do some work myself. I have a pretty good place locally (to Augusta, non-dealer) to do other work. But who all are you guys taking your trucks to for service? I have a Van Aaken V5 and an MBRP 4". I'm getting close to replacing my VP44 which I will likely do myself (with a little help from my auto mechanic - he works on european stuff as a rule but is crack at just about everthing) and want to do 275's at some point.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a bit of a ride for you, but Mass Diesel in Walpole Mass. is worth the trip.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:04 AM

i do alot of my own work but have started a network with a local tranny shop, machining shop, and dyno shop to help bring all services together in the portland area. it took me a while to find this network but i think its going to work out great. very high quality businesses.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:06 PM

We were looking to have a dyno day up in Portland when the weather warms up. Perhaps you may be of some assistance when the time comes?

Turbo Diesels of New England
Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 AM

i would love to help. was going to organize one as well. might as well team up to make it a larger event. i already have the place and some local participation. i live in portland and will be starting to make contacts with whoever i run into. where you located? my participation will be along the timeline of my rebuild...hopefully done by spring.
thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 04:42 PM

I'm in Mass, but we have members from all over. I know a few guys from up your way, and the Fryeburg-Bridgton area.

We can get a good turnout.

Have you had a look here New England Turbo Diesel Power Forum ?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:52 PM

Just a question ,you folks allow someone from NH to join and how would I do so? thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 PM

Hey Doug,
What is an "03 Trailer Tow mirror conversion??"
Old 02-06-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by xp8103
Hey Doug,
What is an "03 Trailer Tow mirror conversion??"
My truck came with non-towing heated electric mirrors. I wanted towing mirrors, but on the 2nd gen trucks the heat/electric tow mirror was not available, only a manual tow mirror.
I bought a set of 3rd gen E/H TT mirrors and a set of manual TT mirrors for a 2nd gen and swapped the heads. Installed the E/H mirrors on my truck and sold the manual mirrors.

Here's a write up I did on another site...

This is for the 2nd Gen truck that has heated, electric non-trailer tow mirrors. The trailer tow mirror option for these trucks were a manual mirror only, which as we know are a PITA to adjust.

The 3rd Gen trucks have heated, electric trailer tow mirrors as an option.

Here are the parts you need:

One set of 2nd Gen trailer tow mirrors.
One set of heated, electric 3rd Gen trailer tow mirrors.

Both sets of mirrors have to come apart. This is done by first removing the round cover on the bottom side of the mirror base. Inside the hole you will see a retaining ring that is holding back a very heavy spring. The retaining ring is held in place with teeth on it's inside. Prying up on the teeth, working around the retainer to bring the retainer over the lip, will release it. But be forewarned, the spring is very strong, the retainer will release under pressure from the spring.

You may have to bend the teeth back in position before reinstalling. Best done with a hammer and chisel.

Now the fun part, Assembling the mirrors. You will need to compress the spring in a vise. Using mechanics wire to keep the spring compressed during assembly.

Install the electric mirror head onto the 2nd Gen base. Insert the spring, and reinstall the retainer, making sure the teeth go over the lip. Then use a hammer and chisel to break the mechanics wire to release the spring.

Wire up the electrics, mount the mirrors and your done.

Here's a link to another write up.
http://www.klenger.net/dodge/2nd-ge.....rrors.html
Old 02-06-2008, 02:23 PM

So the 3rd gen mounts bolt right up? Now I need to find myself a couple sets of mirrors.....
Old 02-06-2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by xp8103
So the 3rd gen mounts bolt right up? Now I need to find myself a couple sets of mirrors.....
No, the mounts are different, hence the reason to swap them. The heads interchange, the mounts do not.