New from WV - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

New from WV

Old 07-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #1  

New from WV

Hi folks. I've loved these trucks since they first came out but never had one. I've been into Mopar forever and decided to combine my interests. I have an 80 D150 shortbed and was planning a 4BT conversion but, I can buy a running, driving D250 for less than I can buy a 4BT and trans. So, I'm looking at an early 91 5spd with around 200K that is the daily driver for it's owner. I plan to drive it as is for a while then as I get enough parts together, I'll make the switch. I thought this would be a good place to learn a few things. Thanks in advance.
addes426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #2  

Hey Fella,
Welcome to DTR.

There are a lot of threads for conversions on here. Simple searches usually find them. Quite a few fellas who have done it, peruse the site daily, and I'm sure Oliver or TC or whomever will chime in.

The problems you face, regarding putting a 6bt in a 1/2 ton pickup is it's weight. Imagine driving around all year with a snow plow on the front of your truck ? Well, it can wear out suspension parts quickly, as well as stress out the 1/2 ton frame as it's physically thinner steel than the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.

Don't get me wrong. It's been done, and guys drive converted 1/2 tons. Considering how much these frames on our trucks crack at the steering boxes on stock diesel trucks, I would think that you should be aware that the possibility exists, so no surprises should it occur.

Back to the 4bt idea, is what I would strive for if I was converting a 1/2 ton pickup. It just makes more sense to me, but others might think differently.

Maybe Oliver has one sitting in his shop right now to make your conversion easiler..'
NJTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTman View Post
Hey Fella,
Welcome to DTR.

There are a lot of threads for conversions on here. Simple searches usually find them. Quite a few fellas who have done it, peruse the site daily, and I'm sure Oliver or TC or whomever will chime in.

The problems you face, regarding putting a 6bt in a 1/2 ton pickup is it's weight. Imagine driving around all year with a snow plow on the front of your truck ? Well, it can wear out suspension parts quickly, as well as stress out the 1/2 ton frame as it's physically thinner steel than the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.

Don't get me wrong. It's been done, and guys drive converted 1/2 tons. Considering how much these frames on our trucks crack at the steering boxes on stock diesel trucks, I would think that you should be aware that the possibility exists, so no surprises should it occur.

Back to the 4bt idea, is what I would strive for if I was converting a 1/2 ton pickup. It just makes more sense to me, but others might think differently.

Maybe Oliver has one sitting in his shop right now to make your conversion easiler..'

The things you mentioned are largely why I'm considering just shortening the frame on the 91 to accept my early SW bed. I'd be quite happy to keep it 3/4 ton too if I could find the right wheels. I want steel wheels with dog dish caps. Detroit Steel Wheel is in the process of releasing an 8 lug steelie. It's in the testing phase now. This truck will only be driven to car shows and cruise ins mostly so even if I wear out parts fast, it will probably still last a long time. For now, I want to get a driver and just see how it plays out.
addes426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #4  

That's been done here recently as well. Hopefully they didn't use photobucket for the thread, then you can see how it was done.

Looking forwards to your build thread.
NJTman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NJTman For This Useful Post:
mknittle (07-05-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #5  

hi nice to meet you
gabithompson730 is offline   Reply With Quote