3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New springs, new ball joints, new shocks...odd feeling

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New springs, new ball joints, new shocks...odd feeling

background:
05 dodge 2500 4x4, 48k mi., heavy front bumper and winch ~ 370 lbs., no lift or anything special.

ball joints are shot, no suprise. I'll do shocks and springs while I'm at it.

Got the Moog K7467 lower ball joints
Got the Carli "Extreme Duty Upper Ball Joints" ... I don't see a part number per se on their website.
Got the Rancho 9000xl (rs999221-front) shock.
Got some engineered springs.

For the springs: I gave them (some place in Ft. Worth) the spring code off each spring and told them about my 370lb bumber. What I got back seems ok to me. Their paper work suggests they built just what I asked for. Tech at NTB told me it took one mondo spring compressor to get it on.

Tech said he'd seen the Moog many times but never the Carli ball joints. He complained that the documentation that comes with the Carli joints is incomplete. What do I know? I just know that I paid $500 bucks for the things.

Everything went on and the front end alignment was good to go.

I didn't get the guy to show me how to adjust the shocks. When I start turning that ****, I have the feeling I'm about to break something. What am I doing wrong here? One **** setting seems completely backwards from the other. If I'm right, then each shock is set differently. Probably not the best thing. Does the **** "click" turn for each setting? Which is the softest setting; clockwise all the way? ANSWERED BELOW

The drive home felt odd. Very loose though the center steering. Tech said it might feel loose and then tighten up. I sure hope it does because it's not great right now and I don't know if it the shocks (set 2 ways) or the new ball joints or maybe even the new springs are the culprit.

Any ideas or thoughts? I would appreciate it.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM

fixed shock mismatch

Called the rancho tech line and got the low down on the ****.
With the shock tube in the upright position (**** on the bottom), the dial reads at 12 o'clock. Fully clockwise=9=stiff : fully ccw=1=soft The **** only rotates 360 degrees (one full rotation) though all settings.
(Mine were set at 1 on the drivers side and 3 on the pass)
Time to go drive around on it and see if that helped.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:45 PM

fixing the shock helped

Fixing that shock helped the ride. I currently have them on the softest (1) setting since my springs are so stiff. The springs and shocks seem to be doing their job ok. I'm wondering if the ball joints alone could be adding that "odd" feeling in the steering.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you know your ball joints were shot and what about your tie rods???
Old 08-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
How did you know your ball joints were shot and what about your tie rods???
I had it in for an alignment check and the tech showed me the play on the uppers. Replaced the lowers just because I knew we were gonna be there anyway.

I don't know about my tie rods. I'm gonna have the tech look at it tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by grishfish
I had it in for an alignment check and the tech showed me the play on the uppers. Replaced the lowers just because I knew we were gonna be there anyway.

I don't know about my tie rods. I'm gonna have the tech look at it tomorrow.
JMHO,,, Any good tech worth his salt would have checked all the steering linkage components while doing the alignment,,, it is SOP,,,,,,
Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by RiverRat2
JMHO,,, Any good tech worth his salt would have checked all the steering linkage components while doing the alignment,,, it is SOP,,,,,,
The truck was behaving pretty well with respect to steering before all the work was done. Maybe something was damaged during the install.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned

maybe the ball joints are a bit stiff, give it 500 miles , grease em, and see how that feels.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Could be that by replacing the shocks, springs, ball joints you uncovered another problem with the steering dampener, tie rods, steering box, u-joints, etc...
Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the odd feeling is your wallet being lighter to the tune of about $1500.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by rogers259
Could be that by replacing the shocks, springs, ball joints you uncovered another problem with the steering dampener, tie rods, steering box, u-joints, etc...
I agree. However, before all this work the steering seemed fine. The truck is still at stock height after the changes and the alignment came out ok too.

I had the shop look at the front end again this morning and the steering linkage looks good. They did recommend a new steering damper as a suggestion, but I'm not sure how that would affect the steering. It couldn't hurt.

I hope Mikmaze is correct about the ball joints. Maybe I just need to give it a bit.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
I think the odd feeling is your wallet being lighter to the tune of about $1500.
LOL. You're right about that.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:38 PM

If you feel it in the steering that is what I would check first. I would start with the sector shaft in the power steering unit looking for play. I would look at all of the tie rod ends while having someone turn the steering wheel back and forth. Last, you can check the ball joints by jacking up the front of the truck and grabbing the wheel on the top and bottom trying to rock it back and forth looking for play in the ball joints.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 PM

Talking Carli's uppers and lowers

Heard tonight their lowers are ready!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dodge35000
If you feel it in the steering that is what I would check first. I would start with the sector shaft in the power steering unit looking for play. I would look at all of the tie rod ends while having someone turn the steering wheel back and forth. Last, you can check the ball joints by jacking up the front of the truck and grabbing the wheel on the top and bottom trying to rock it back and forth looking for play in the ball joints.
+1!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: New springs, new ball joints, new shocks...odd feeling