HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

water...please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to mention a long block will be cheaper than piecing one together. Dealers are not always the good guys I had one tell me my engine was post toasty’s in Florence Ky. once and wanted $13,867 to replace it. This was in a 2004 F O R D with a 6.0. I went after the truck and had it trailer’d back on my 48' flatbed. Once I gave it to my normal dealer who's Mechanic I trusted and had been dealing with for ages on that truck he charged me $1,600 to replace the intercooler was all it was. On the 6.0 the intercooler is the oil cooler under the intake at least that’s what Ford calls it. When they blow it fills your radiator full of engine oil. Seeing that truck is your living if you do fill a suit your can charge them for lost wages as well but I still think that there isn't much done to your truck. I'd have to get another dealer or take it to Cummins one to make sure they're not BS'n you. Man I've driven one that had water in the tank for over 20 miles and all I did was clean the tank, and filter bowl then shot in some good fuel ,a new filter and it runs just fine now. I know I'm driving it myself still. Had 5 gal's of gas in that truck to and drove it for way to long but it's just like the bunny just keeps on going an going. Now I didn't loose at a pump with mostly gas in it for probably 30 miles at least so form what you’ve said dude you didn't drive that far to get pulled over in a safe place. These trucks are one heck of allot tougher than most people think they are. Worst case scenario is what you need in a law suit but can you really do without your truck for 2 years the first time around?

Good Luck
Mark
Old 08-20-2007, 10:29 PM

well got my truck back today...7 out of savings 13 on theol credit card... still awaitng the trial date .... lawyer has filed suit so its only a matter of time... ive stiill got all the fuel, bent push rods...etc.., yall cant imagine how good it was to be back in my truck after driving rentals for a month... pulled with it all day today with any problems an i can only hope that this will continue... well as soon as the trial nears or i hear any word of how this mess is going to end up i will post... thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ramblinNrollin,
Did you ever get the pics posted?

Tony
Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM

that all sucks, i would sue them both, you are less likely to win against exxon they have money to drag it all out.

the station owner will have insurance i would think

shouldn't the pump have a moisture collection filter or something inline to prevent this

nice of the station manager to admit he knew about the problem
Old 08-21-2007, 11:51 AM

ramblinNrollin,

What warrenty did you get with the replacement engine?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Same thing happened to me Exxon Mobile station in Houston...Harris county....WHile I was talking to the Mobile rep. two other vehicles were also there with the same complaint...including my Brother...Now my Dodge and his Powerstroke are both down and in a shop with promises to pay for repairs and we are gonna get rentals tommorow...wish us luck....I think I may get my fuel somewhere else from now on
Old 08-23-2007, 11:46 AM

In general, I prefer to buy at the cheaper stations. Here's the theory: Cheaper fuel gets bought more readily than expensive fuel. i.e. fuel gets turned over in the tanks more frequently, so the tanks stay cleaner (less rust, dirt, etc), and the fuel doesn't have much chance to stagnate & grow algae. It also helps my wallet!

However, if you are on the road & NEED fuel, then you may have to take your chances!

HTH

Tony
Old 08-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Hmm well you said it (cheaper fuel)

Yes it's just that indeed cheap fuel.
Go run you some 51 to 55 cetane to the 37 to 41 of your cheap fuel.
Not to mention the trash in cheaper fuels.

Mark
Old 08-23-2007, 06:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as far as keeping recipts for fuel why dont you just pay with one credit card and no need to have a recipt.. the invoice for the cc is all you need to prove what station you went to and how much fuel you pumped..
Old 08-23-2007, 07:33 PM

You might be intitled to your wages that you have/could have lost. Also have them pay for the rental, doesn't sound cheap.

Also, what is the deal with a $1700 turbo? You could get a nice HTT for that much!

Jon
Old 08-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by monnshyne
Mark
Dumb question here, how do you know what the Cetane rating of the fuel you are buying is? I always look, but never see a sticker giving the rating.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:31 AM

I dont think the cetane rating is required like the octane rating is on the pumps. If you go to truck stops for fuel most do have the rating on them.

Mark
Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 PM

Hmm well you said it (cheaper fuel)

Yes it's just that indeed cheap fuel.
Not to mention the trash in cheaper fuels.

Mark
High cetane numbers are a plus. From http://www.chevron.com/products/prod.../L2_5_2_fs.htm

Premium diesel, on the other hand, is related to varying one or more fuel properties. Some of the more-talked-about fuel properties are: cetane number, low temperature operability, stability, lubricity, detergency, and heating value. The suppliers of premium diesel fuel evaluate their marketing area and provide a fuel that has one or more of these improved properties. The level of improvement in each property varies from one supplier to another.

and

In late 1997, the NCWM task force recommended that a fuel must meet any two of the five criteria listed in Figure 5-4 to merit the "premium" label.

and from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_rating

In North America, diesel at the pump can be found in two CN ranges: 40-46 for regular diesel, and 45-50 for premium.

So who has this 37 cetane fuel you speak of, and where do you get this 51-55 fuel AND how do you know. Remember, premium fuel may or may not have a higher cetane rating than the fuel pump across the street. I believe the key is to buy only from high volume sources, i.e. truck stops. One of the lessons I hope the OP gained was if you are in the hotshot/transport/car hauler business, that an aux tank is a valuable investment.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:16 AM

Under European requirements, the minimum cetane number is 51. Did you really think North America is the only place diesel is made? And if you like cheap fuel and it never tells you what cetane rating it is then your guess is as good as anyones as to what it is. The cheaper they can make it an sell it the better for them.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:14 PM

Under European requirements, the minimum cetane number is 51. Did you really think North America is the only place diesel is made? And if you like cheap fuel and it never tells you what cetane rating it is then your guess is as good as anyones as to what it is. The cheaper they can make it an sell it the better for them.

Well, we are not in Europe, so not sure how that relates. I go to Indiana on a regular basis, and buy cheap fuel there because I have a DOT # and the fuel in IN is cheaper than surrounding states. The questions were, where do you get the 51-55 cetane fuel, who has this cheap 37 cetane fuel, ( I for one would like to avoid them), and exactly where do you find pumps that show what the cetane rating at that station is. We have seen enough smoke, so either give up some info or admit you are full of it.

Quick Reply: water...please help!!!!!