HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

water...please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm no expert, but as I understand it if any trace of water gets to the injectors in these common rail motors, it can destroy the injector(s).

Since diesels inject directly into the combustion chamber, the same heat created by compression that causes a diesel to ignite can also cause any water to explosively turn to steam... so if there is any water in the tip of the injector it can damage it and cause it to spray continually. This would generally cause a knock, and high temps in the effected cylinder that could melt down the piston.

Anyhow, I wonder how the dealer apparently determined that a piston or pistons are trashed? Seems odd that it would have been that badly damaged that quickly. I think I'd also call around and see what other dealers would charge for a long block replacement.

I'm with Donhov in in that I think I'd see if my insurance would cover it, and let them and their lawyers worry about collecting from the fuel vendor.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've had dealers tell me this exact same BS. I had one F O R D (and only one!) that I got a tank full of water in as well and the only thing I did was clean the tank out myself since the Ford dealer wanted to replace my engine as well. It ran just fine. My 06 Dodge has had a tank full of water it in to. All we did on it was clean the tank out like the Ford. Still running today with 186k and that was 100k ago when it had water in it. I'd clean your tank and see what it runs like. If your not in an area that sells allot of DC's then most of the dealerships don't really have a good mechanic simply because they hardly ever work on one. Remember all dealerships are out there to make MONEY and when they see that under warranty they get stars in their eyes. Just have your tank cleaned and your lines flushed most likely it will be just fine. Oh and take the 6g's for sure. I never got a bleeping dime out of either one of my trucks getting water in them. One was at a pilot and the other was some hole in the wall like yours.

Good Luck
Mark
Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
Since diesels inject directly into the combustion chamber, the same heat created by compression that causes a diesel to ignite can also cause any water to explosively turn to steam
I wonder if that dealer has ever heard of water/meth injection.

You might do well getting a second opinion.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:34 PM

ouch that sucks. i've seen some connecting rods bent from water. but that was alot of water sucked ina gasser engine from a cold air intake.

i would get a second opinion over this. and fight the gas station. get as much as possible out of these guys.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but water/meth injection systems generally spray into the intake tract somewhere... where if water gets past the seperator it goes through the diesel's fuel injectors.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:31 AM

Yes it does and it is not good for them either but these trucks can and do take alot more than dealers think they will. As little as he drove it from what he said he did chances are that a good cleaning out and he'd be just fine.

Mark
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM

I'm no expert, but as I understand it if any trace of water gets to the injectors in these common rail motors, it can destroy the injector(s).
Possibly
Since diesels inject directly into the combustion chamber, the same heat created by compression that causes a diesel to ignite can also cause any water to explosively turn to steam... so if there is any water in the tip of the injector it can damage it and cause it to spray continually. This would generally cause a knock, and high temps in the effected cylinder that could melt down the piston.
Only a small amount gets injected into the cylinder on the compression cycle. Since water has no energy, the small amount of steam generated will not cause any damage.

Anyhow, I wonder how the dealer apparently determined that a piston or pistons are trashed? Seems odd that it would have been that badly damaged that quickly. I think I'd also call around and see what other dealers would charge for a long block replacement.
Unless enough water was pulled into cylinder to fill it up and cause a bent rod or crank shaft, I doubt any damage was done.

I had a 12V filled with water due to a bad underground tank, drained the tank, changed the filter and away we went. We billed the station for the labor, not a big deal.

I've had a GM 6.2 and a cummins 4bt suck water into the intake, both were toast. Bent rods, crank, cracked heads, . I worked for a equipment rental company in a past life, I've seen a lot of carnage.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM

Question

I was a Chrysler & (ASE) Master tech for 12 years before I changed to another line of work, I specialized in the Cummins (and electronics/trans) at the dealership where I worked. I repaired many fuel in water complaints and NEVER seen internals on an engine damaged from just H2o.. if so I bet the drop truck put gas in the diesel tanks at the fill station, I have seen that wipe a engine or two out but not water.....
Old 07-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Unit44
I was a Chrysler & (ASE) Master tech for 12 years before I changed to another line of work, I specialized in the Cummins (and electronics/trans) at the dealership where I worked. I repaired many fuel in water complaints and NEVER seen internals on an engine damaged from just H2o.. if so I bet the drop truck put gas in the diesel tanks at the fill station, I have seen that wipe a engine or two out but not water.....
I agree. I hope the dealer has actually tried running the engine after ensuring a clean fuel supply, then done whatever disassembly was necessary to confirm an actual problem before claiming a new engine was required. Talk to the dealer, ask what parts were damaged, and photograph the damage. If you end up suing the gas station for the repairs, all the damaged parts will be held for inspection and you can end up footing the bill for any repairs that were completed needlessly.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by torquefan
If you end up suing the gas station for the repairs, all the damaged parts will be held for inspection and you can end up footing the bill for any repairs that were completed needlessly.

Naw... He'll just be responsible for mitigating damages. Like get more than one estimate (even if that). If the engine has one iota of damage he is entitled to a new one!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To the original poster, I sent you a PM. Up in the top righthand part of your screen there is something that says Private Messages, click on that.. Just incase you didn't know being new and all .
Old 07-24-2007, 03:19 PM

i have requested the exact prices and costs of everything be printed out and sent to me.. i am going to post this on here hopefully this evening so yall all can take a look. it will be a complete list of parts and labor so let me no what u think. also i have been to the dealer and have personally seen the bent rods, metal inside the motor,
also when this first happend... died on side of road, i immeditely tried draining the water in fuel lever, also i always keep a spare fuel and air filter in the truck so i put a brand new fuel filter in there as well on the side of the road.... truck still would not start on the side of the road.. so i had to have it towed... i also have a 2 liter bottle with what was just in the fuel filter area and i wish yall could see it.. it doesnt even resemble anything close that looks like diesel.... and like i said before i was on i10 in heavy traffic so it took me a minute to get over all the while this stuff was just tearing up my engine... il defintley try to post this repair list and causes stated by the mechanic tonight so you all can take a look at it... thanks and feel free to ask me anything yall might be wondering about what happened and il answer to the best of my ability
Old 07-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Banned

which gas station did you go to so i can avoid it!

brett
Old 07-24-2007, 03:29 PM

exxon in brookshire texas...i might add since then i have been by there to take pictures and document that all pumps have been shut down and roped off so no one else can fill up... i have told my attorney this and we r going to try to find other people that have filled up here because there has got to be more than just me
Old 07-24-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Hard to believe water from the fuel tank did any major damage to the internal engine parts. I've had the same thing happen before, we drained the tank, changed filter, and ran it. The only time I've seen enough water pulled into a diesel engine to damage it was through the air intake.

Injectors, filter, maybe even a pump I would believe. But a whole engine at 20K is hogwash IMO.
+1. I can find absolutely no explanation for major damage due to water injection. But, I can find a very easy explanation for a $20k charge: if I am dishonest, and see a guy that's real busy, and he's pulling loads for living, and he's got a new truck... why not fill my pocket by selling him 40 gal of Compression and lubricating his Optical axis.
-P

Quick Reply: water...please help!!!!!