HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck won't tow past 75 MPH, tranny going out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the rant and off topic babble people. I officially put myself in DTR jail for one night on the charges of thread high jacker and babble master......

blah blah blah......

Dave
Old 02-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
O,K. guys, let's try to keep this thing civil and keep out the flaming and personal attacks on one another! Some warnings have already been sent out and if needed we will close this thread.

--------
John_P
Old 02-05-2007, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok.....so I go to bed last night with my thread only having 1 page and come back to check it today to find it with 4 pages of.....well I dont even know. I apologize for my "100 mph" comment that got all this started...heh, it was just a figure of speech that went south.

Anyway we can get back on topic?

I just cant believe that my wheel/tire combo would affect me that much. I need to get out on the road with a buddy and check to see how far off my speedo is too.

I mean, from a dead stop at moderate acceleration the truck just rips the trailer like its not even there till I get to around 75 and it just kinda flattens out. I'm just worried that my transmission might be having issues already but I know what a tranny feels like when its slipping and its not that I dont think.

Anyways....thanks for what helpful info was posted...
Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Banned

I see you have the 325/60's. Those are a little taller than 33". I don't believe you are running out of power due to the tires. With my 40's I can still pull a ski boat at 70 no problem in 5th. I think you may be hitting a protection feature in the BDCL if it has any. That of you're having one heck of a wind problem, lol.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
put smaller tires on and see if that helps.
I would say it is bigger tires.
obviously, bigger tires need more power to turn them.
And your speedo is most likey way off unless its been adjusted to the new tire size. I have 285's and my speedo is 4.5-5 mph off.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:02 PM

RedRacer44 - the fact that that you have high EGT AND lower power leads me to think it is your wastegate stuck open and bypassing exhaust without enough going to turbine blade? The electronic injection senses your boost and will inhibit fuel to prevent black smoke but may still cause high temps due to lack of boost. Your chip will probably allow more fuel than the standard Dodge software by the way but even the Bullydog would probably try and protect against a meltdown.

Good of you to keep your cool through all this.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
315's are 11% larger than stock, so your speedo will be off by 11%. 75 MPH plus 11% equals 83.25 MPH. Maybe your numbers are high because you are going fast. Is your pyro pre turbo? I hope so, post pyro 1000* is a melt down internally. If that is the case my bet is that you damaged your turbo towing so fast with that chip turned up too high. Your boost numbers are way to low... id tighten/ check all of your boot clamps on the pressure side of your intake system before dooming the turbo. Your boost should hit 30 psi easy while towing, unless you don't have a boost fooler and the ecm is causing backdown for excessive boost. I hit 90 MPH all the time on my banshee. 100 MPH on my CR 500, but never tow past 75 MPH, too many idiot drivers out there who think a trailer can stop on a dime. Just my 3 cents.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Blue24
315's are 11% larger than stock, so your speedo will be off by 11%. 75 MPH plus 11% equals 83.25 MPH. Maybe your numbers are high because you are going fast. Is your pyro pre turbo? I hope so, post pyro 1000* is a melt down internally. If that is the case my bet is that you damaged your turbo towing so fast with that chip turned up too high. Your boost numbers are way to low... id tighten/ check all of your boot clamps on the pressure side of your intake system before dooming the turbo. Your boost should hit 30 psi easy while towing, unless you don't have a boost fooler and the ecm is causing backdown for excessive boost. I hit 90 MPH all the time on my banshee. 100 MPH on my CR 500, but never tow past 75 MPH, too many idiot drivers out there who think a trailer can stop on a dime. Just my 3 cents.

I understand the difference in speed which would make sense of the rise in EGTs. And in response to towing so fast with the chip turned up....thats a big negative. When I tow, its at 70-75 most of the time....sometimes I'll kick 'er up to 80 when I got a 6 hour drive ahead of me and I wanna get home!! Again the 100 MPH statement was mostly a figure of speech.

I also kept the Edge EZ and now the BullyDog on either stock or the lowest setting possible when I was towing depending on the load so I really dont think the turbo is damaged. I also keep my air filter very clean. The truck still runs **** good otherwise.

I checked all my clamps and everything was tight there. In response to the low boost numbers, I think I found the problem. I dug out the installation instructions for the boost gauge. I'm pretty sure the instructions are for a rice-grinder car with a turbo because we had it installed below the wastegate and after some research I found out that is not the right spot. As a result, I have a boost bolt from Geno's on the way to make sure I'm getting an accurate reading from now on...

I talked to BullyDog and they said that at that speed the truck is probably starving itself of fuel since the TripleDog is just a "timing advance programmer" and doesnt add fuel unless on a higher setting. This would explain why I was able to tow at high speeds those few select times when I had the Edge EZ box because its adds fuel if I'm not mistaken. I asked them about the QuadZilla Boost Fooler and the tech actually recommended the product as they've had very good feedback and results from customers using the TripleDog and the Boost Fooler. Might pick this product up to see if I can pick up some more boost and lower EGTs...
Old 02-05-2007, 08:09 PM

I agree You my have broke something. I missed the part about how much boost you had in all of the babble, but if your waist gate is stock it should max out at about 21 - 22 lbs of boost your guage should read about 19-20 lbs under full boost. If you are hearing alot of turbo whistling you my have popped one of the rubber boots that connects to the inter-cooler. That problem is more common than one might think. And that would also explain the high EGT your boost is being blown out and not going through the engine