HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start

Just bought a 95 Ram 2500 cummins. The only mod on it that I could find was a K&N air filter in the stock air filter housing. I've been driving it for the last 2 weeks. been running great. Took it to the hardware store to pick up some stuff. Turned it off now it will not start. The motor cranks over but won't fire. It has about 50 miles on a full tank. I'm new to diesels but not new to wrenching. It is currently parked in the hardware store parking lot until tomorrow. What are the simple things I can check in the parking lot before I have it towed. Ideas??

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-01-2006, 12:25 AM

you do have fuel in the tank rite?,try turning the key to the on position then go under the hood and lift up on the fuel solenoid then turn the key to the crank position and see if it starts.here is a parts diagram

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Fac...ocations-l.gif
Old 06-01-2006, 12:56 AM

I've been spending alot of time reading the posts and have already printed the picture. I plan on giving it a shot tomorrow in the daylight. So if it is the fuel shutdown solenoid (from reading I understand they rarely go bad??) That would lead me back to the the relays. They are the ones attached to the lip of the cowl? 2 right next to each other one bigger than the other? So on my way to my truck tomorrow I need to get a repair book so I don't ask so many questions. Recommendations. I like the haynes manuals for my other vehicles. Does haynes make a decent manual for cummins powered dodges?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-01-2006, 08:48 AM

I have the haynes manual for my 96. It is okay, but the diesel part of it is mixed in with all the gasser stuff. I think it covers 94-02 as well, so you have the 24 valve stuff as well. Can usually find what I need in there though if there isn't a better description here.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:54 AM

Thanks guys it was the shutdown solenoid. So this weekend I will start trouble shooting. Starting with the cheap stuff first. I suspect though that if it is the solenoid itself I maybe getting a choke cable setup that is mentioned else where in this forum.

Steve
Old 06-02-2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by 440Magnum
I need to get a repair book so I don't ask so many questions. Recommendations. I like the haynes manuals for my other vehicles. Does haynes make a decent manual for cummins powered dodges?

Thanks,
Steve
NOOOOOOOOO!
Save your $19.95 and get you a genuine (V) Mopar shop manual. If you plan on doing ANY kind of work on your truck. I bought a Haynes/Chilton (same thing) Manual for my truck soon after I got it and MAN, was it W-O-R-T-H-L-E-S-S! I then got my Factory Service Manual (FSM) and I can't tell you how happy I am with it! There's VERY little this thing doesn't have a description or diagram of. It's saved me countless hours of wondering "How the 'H' am I gonna do THIS!"
They can be had on E-bay for about $75. Mine covers the '92 Dodge 150 250 350 2 and 4wd trucks and Ramchargers. Although not in the title it DOES cover the Cummins trucks as well.

I HIGHLY reccomend one.