HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck stalled, won’t start, stranded in Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Truck stalled, won’t start, stranded in Wyoming

Help!
Stranded!
Truck made it to the campground, backed in trailer, unhooked, and when I went to move the truck to the parking spot it stalled immediately when putting it in gear. Weird, never stalled since I replaced the lift pump at 120K...now at 174K miles. Fired it up, parked and noticed the check engine light was on. Used the ignition trick to determine error code as P0700 - general transmission error, but no other codes. After that engine would crank but not fire.
Interesting info: ignition trick for code reader no longer worked. Gauges at dash didn’t read with the key in “on”. Grid heater did not hum and no power draw as usual during wait to start period, even in the cold morning. Overhead compass and trip computer screen blank, although overhead reading lights did have power.
I suspect it’s fuel related, but the electronic gremlins tell me it’s one of the many computer related components.
its off to the *********** and they will likely tell me it’s ECM, or fuel pump or injectors, but was hoping someone out there could at least advise me on their experiences.
thank you!

Truck is 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with 5.9 Cummins TurboDiesel- 174000 miles mostly stock. Lift pump retrofit to in tank at 120K and retorqued high pressure fuel lines. Original transmission has never skipped a beat and been serviced regularly, although a small piece of snap ring was found in the pan 8 years ago. Runs great, 26 Mpg (60 mph) unloaded. 13 mpg towing 6000 pound trailer. No blowby of rings.

please advise
Old 06-07-2021, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turns out to have been a faulty ignition switch. None were available from Mopar, so a Napa parts switch will have to do.
anybody else have problems with their ignition switch?