HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help! Truck broken down away from home

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 04:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Help! Truck broken down away from home

I lost prime on my 1992 Cummins installed in my camper due to a clogged fuel pickup screen in the tank. It is running again but there is flurry of bubbles showing in the visible fuel return line I installed. Is this ordinary? it is a flood of bubbles not the odd one. It continues after I shut the engine down. Seems strange, please help!

Thanks for the input and ideas. I have made a small replacement fuel system with a 5 gallon plastic gas can with 3 gallons of diesel in it. I have an electric pump feeding through a plastic fuel filter then directly into the injection pump. The return line and the supply line are see through vinyl and the return line goes into the gas can.
When I energize the electric pump, fuel starts to circulate through the system and bubbles are pushed out until no more come out after a minute.
Turning the engine over causes bubbles to come out the return line. I bled the injectors twice and got it started. It idled and would rev up some, But when I put it into gear there was no power and the truck could barely move under it's own power. It was rough sounding trying to get it to rev and it died suddenly with no restart.
What could be going on? Where are all the bubbles from? There are still lots when it is idling. Help !!
Old 06-23-2021, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would suspect a small leak in the suction line ( sucking in air ) , from the fuel pickup to the inlet of the lift / primary pump . Being that you just messed with the pick-up screen , I would focus on this area first . Sometimes it will seep fuel at a leaking joint when not running. Look for a moist joint and fix it ; )
BTW that is is a cool looking crazy looking rig ! I like it . Doubt if I'd stay the night with you in it .......until I got to know you very well first ; )
DEW

Old 06-24-2021, 04:31 PM

I installed new injectors and the bubbles have disappeared! That's the good news. The bad news is it won't start. It will hit on what sounds like 3 cylinders and then stop.
It will do this over and over and over, act like it's starting and then die. I'm out of ideas so if someone has an idea I'd like to hear it
What is the piece under the injection pump? Should it be energized too for starting?
Thanks,
David
Old 06-25-2021, 10:00 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Did you "crack" all of the injector lines to bleed them?
Old 06-25-2021, 10:38 PM

Yes, I loosened them to do the bleeding. They spray well, like 2 feet up out of the loosened nuts. Something I have not seen is how many spurts per cylinder is considered well bled? I'd like to be sure they are purged of all air.