HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

truck not starting after sitting two days?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck not starting after sitting two days?

hello, truck is in my sig. The truck cranks for probably a minute before it will finally start if it's been sitting for more than a day or two. It has never done it while it was warm. I've been told it was injector lines, I took out all the injectors and installed them according to instructions, tighten hold down, tighten injector line.... I've checked all fuel connections and none were cause for concern. I really don't know what else to do. I have gauges, fuel pressure is 16 lbs at idle, 12 at wot. I have no check engine codes...I am really at a bit of a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:58 PM

Fuel leak anywhere? Park over some cardboard or something.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I go through this, and it's because of a fuel leak someplace. Fuel isn't actually leakign out, but leaking out of th elines back into thte tank, and the fuel system must re-prime itself after sitting a while. In your case, not having a FASS, it probably take longer to re-prime the lines if you have the same problem.
Some day I'm going to get around to checking it out, and probably have to replace the pickup pipe in the tank.

Chris
Old 04-19-2006, 07:34 AM

On my truck when I turn the key to the "wait to start" position the FP runs up to 12-15 psi for a moment then back to zero. I always figured this was to get the VP all primed and ready to start. Wouldn't this take care of any leaking down that occurs in a day or two? Do you have a FP guage? Does this happen when you start?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:25 PM

all right, I park the truck on cement and there are no visible fuel leaks. I just went out to try starting again, I do not get fuel pressure on the gauge when I have the key in the wait to start position, but I don't think that I should? When I turn the key to start the fuel pressure comes up to about 12-15 within a few seconds but the truck will not start without 30 seconds of cranking. I also tried bumping the key to let the lift pump pressurize the system before starting, this did help but I still have a leak somewhere??? Any ideas? Thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cville6
On my truck when I turn the key to the "wait to start" position the FP runs up to 12-15 psi for a moment then back to zero. I always figured this was to get the VP all primed and ready to start. Wouldn't this take care of any leaking down that occurs in a day or two? Do you have a FP guage? Does this happen when you start?
Yep, that's my story. It will come up to 15 then drop as I "wait to start". It's getting worse nowadays though. When I leave it sitting a week, while enjoying my 12v, I go to start it and I get no fuel pressure at first, and 0-3 psi until I finally get the engine started, and about 3-5 seconds after startup the pressure comes up fine and stays at 15psi.

All I can figure is it's the standpipe in the tank, but I am not sure how to test it to be sure. When I installed the FASS I had to put a manual clamp on the hose that connects to the stand pipe because the quick-connect that comes with the FASS is junk and doesn't seal at all. I was sucking air until I put a regular hose clamp on it.

Chris
Old 04-21-2006, 07:26 AM

low idle will cause a hard start situation.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Banned

Have you tried starting in the stock settings. Maybe any box you have on is causing some conflict in the electronics and the ECM/PCM is unable to reporta a code. Have you ever replaced the lift pump or VP since new. Could be the LP or VP alowing the line de-fuel to the tank.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do a search for "cracked fuel lines" or "rubber fuel lines cracked". This has been discussed quit a bit and maybe this is what you guys are having trouble with. The flexible fuel lines crack just enough to let air in and therefore let the fuel in the lines flow back to the tank. There isn't a fuel leak out but an air leak in.