HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Truck dumps oil out breather tube!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Truck dumps oil out breather tube!!!!

Okay I have read a lot of posts here about this and it seems to be a very mystic subject. I work out of town for like a month at a time and the truck my wife drives has had some problems lately. Last time I was home I had the hydroboost leaking PS fluid so I replaced that while I was home. After I got back to work she called and said that it had started leaking again and even worse than before. So I had to let a mechanic replace the hydroboost a second time. When I came home for Thanks giving I notice oil leaking from the dipstick tube and some spatter on hydboost. We drove it on the freeway and stopped for fuel and the whole driverside bed and tailgate was covered in oil spray. I got under it and realized it was puking out the blow by tube. It was 5 qts low at this point. Now I have read about a lot of things regarding this problem. My truck runs great, no loss of power or smoking beside when starting(white smoke) I read about bad turbo seals causing this, a leaking "vaccum pump" has also been written about also. Could some one please help me comprehend how these two things would cause crank case pressure and oil puke? I am back to work and have to take it to this mechanic and I just wonder if it could be linked to the recent replacement of my hydboost unit. Any posting is really appreciated.
Thankyou Chad Patten
Old 12-04-2006, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much boost do you run? just curious. Does this happen when some gasket starts going bad? What's a hydroboost? I have a small amount of oil leaking from the breather too.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A significant quantity of "oil" leaking out from the blowby tube is often an indication of diesel that has leaked from an injector(s) or injection pump, in your case, into the crankcase.... check your oil level and if it's too high - change it and the filter and find out why #2 is mixing in.

If it is a fuel leak and not the HydroBoost - you definitely need a better mechanic!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:31 AM

The Hydraboost it the unit that the master brake cylinger bolts to. It is run off power steering fluid and turns human foot pressure on the brake pedal into a higher pressure for better braking.

My oil in never over full. it is always low due to it pouring out the breather tube at higher speeds. When I was home and looked at the oil it had no visual indication or smell of diesel in the oil.

I would like to get some insight to how the vacuum pump or the turbo could cause crankcase pressure.

Thanks. Chad
Old 12-04-2006, 08:58 AM

Could the oil be leaking around the timming cove?
I have read about the KDP on th 12 valvers cracking the timming cover. From what I have read they leak alot of oil.

Rodney
Old 12-04-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A vacuum leak will cause excess blowby.
What happens is the vacuum pump vents into the crankcase. If there are no leaks it doesn't vent. If there is a leak the vacuum pump turns into a compressor pressurizing the crankcase.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM

Well I have never been so bummed out in my life. The shop (Ben's diesel) in Fort Collins said that I have 3 times as much blowby pressure coming out of that tube than acceptable at half throttle and I need to either rebuild or replace my motor. I just don't have the money to this! My wife is in College and on and on. I am literally sick to my stomach.

What should I do?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do some compression tests. you didn't lengthen the blowby tube did you?

someone can probably post the compression specs.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:19 PM

Infidel knows these trucks real well, if he says it could be the vacuum pump dumping into the crankcase, it would show up as blow-by. Do the compression tests first, that motor shouldn't be wore out at only 280k.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you need to find a new diesel shop.

Your engine runs too well for the rings to be that shot - it's probably the vacuum pump like Infidel posted... that Cummins is just reaching middle age!
Old 12-06-2006, 12:17 AM

BULL!!! Go to another shop, these engines can go 500000 before a major overhaul and then can go over 1000000miles
Old 12-06-2006, 09:36 AM

Go to these guys and look half-way down the page. I was thinking of adding this to clean up the front of my engine....A little pricey$$$$$$, but you might find it cheaper.

CV50115 CRANKCASE VENTILATION KIT----> $216.17 + FRT

1998.5-2002 DODGE/CUMMINS ISB APPLICATION

http://www.hoeslidiesel.com/specials.htm

http://www.fleetguard.com/fleet/pdfs...?SMIDENTITY=NO
Old 12-06-2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by chadpatten
The shop (Ben's diesel) in Fort Collins said that I have 3 times as much blowby pressure coming out of that tube than acceptable at half throttle and I need to either rebuild or replace my motor.
Should be called Ben Dovers Diesel. So did he have a tire pressure guage hooked to the Blow-by tube.

I think we need to add another tool to the www.kalecoauto.com list.

...................Jim
Old 12-09-2006, 08:06 AM

What gets me is I can post my problem in the help section and all I get is a bunch of edit! The guy is a reputable mechanic and I have a truck that will lose over a gallon of oil in about a 50 mile stretch of interstate. Its unfortunate but fairly simple to see that I (my motor) needs help! I have read posts about the same thing happening to other people and since I work 1800 miles away from my wife and the truck I was hoping to get some people who have seen this type of problem and may have actual insight to how it got resolved post here for me.

Thank you

CHAD
Old 12-09-2006, 08:17 AM

Oh yea, all the vacuum actuated accesories work fine. It will blow the dipstick out of it's tube as well.

Quick Reply: Truck dumps oil out breather tube!!!!