HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Transmission Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Need Help

I have a 99 Dodge 5 Spped I left for a long trip (pulling a gooseneck car trailer loaded) and within 15 miles of the trip I had a strange sound in the tranny like something comming apart I pulled over I could not shift into 1st or 2nd there was no grinding it would go in all other gears finally I got into 1st and pulled on into a station when I stopped I noticed that when the truck was in neutral it would leerch or creep it wouldnt move but you could feel the whole pickup moving kind of like a surge it has never done this I brought it back home it performed just fine but still surges or creeps in neutral has anyone else had this occurance <br>Thanks in advance also I always read these forums and they are a big help <br>Sincerly <br>chadfromkansas
Old 03-03-2003, 11:19 PM

Re:Transmission Need Help

Sounds like something has gone in your tranny. I think you should bite the bullet and bring it into a transmission shop to get looked at before you get stranded on the side of the highway with your trailer. <br>Getting a new or rebuilt transmission in your Dodge is like getting your honer badge, most have it.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:26 AM

Re:Transmission Need Help / 5th gear nut ?

Hi we tore into it yesterday it looks as the 1st and 2nd gear bearing (big flat roler bearing) and one gear will need replaced it has some damage on the side of it I think I got it shut down quick enough every thing else looks to be good I do have a question about the locking 5th gear nut it has the set screw tightener how many # lbs of torgue should it be should I use locktight also also we assumed going into the project that it was the pilot but that all looked fine any help with the 5th gear nut will be greatly appreciated<br>Thanks <br>chadfromkansas
Old 03-05-2003, 11:10 AM

There are a couple of versions of the 5th gear nut. Some will take more ft-lb torque than others, but about 250 ft-lb torque will be okay. Use lots of loctite (red).<br>John
Old 03-05-2003, 12:40 PM

Thanks
Old 03-07-2003, 10:59 AM

PDR did not include torque value for the 5th gear nut he sent me so I took the nut to a good trans shop. That shop is the only one in the Prov. of Manitoba that is aware of fully splined mainshaft. Got an education on the different 5th gear nuts and for the nut in question, I was told 250 ft-lb.<br>John<br>
Old 03-07-2003, 04:09 PM

WOW - A 1999 with 330,000 miles ! <br>And no excessive wear on mainshaft and input gear bearings nor the pilot bearing?! Amazing.