4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2013 68 RFE transmission and ansi HD transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2013 68 RFE transmission and ansi HD transmission

Dealer advertising some 2013 trucks with 68RFE transmission and others with some ansi HD transmission. What is the difference? I currently own a 2009 with the 68RFE. I like it so far.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AISIN transmission is stronger and better built transmission. When ordered correctly you get a higher HP truck and more torque with the AISIN than with the 68RFE.

I was at a rally in June for RAM trucks and the question was asked why buy a truck with the AISIN transmission in it. The marketing rep for RAM stated: That the 68RFE was a good transmission and will serve most user will but the AISIN just doesn't break. Need more be said about it.

Jim W.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:17 PM

Thumbs up Asian

The Asian is a much stronger built trany. It's exceptionally smooth shift in and out of tow mode it fantastic.

I'm towing a #16,000 5wh with ease having 3.42's in the East.

2014 Ram 3500 CC 4X4 8' 6.7 L Asian Laramie Limited Plus

... and I love it!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:48 AM

I think the Aisin was Ram's response to the Allison. A true HD tranny is my thought.

I've logged almost 18,000 miles on mine and have towed heavily(truck,trailer, load 29,000lbs) and the tranny shifted smooth, didn't seem to care.

Aisin has been around since 1969 and from reading they own 51.9% of the company and Toyota owns 42%. Toyota here you only see small trucks, 1/2 tons. In Japan Toyota has big trucks an heavy duty transmissions. Seems Aisin Seiki is bigger than GM's powertrain division and has been for almost 10 years.

A quote,

"Aisin AW supplies automatic transmissions to 55 automotive manufacturers around the world, virtually every major OEM. These include General Motors, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, Saab, Audi, VW, Volvo, Hyundai among others"

That was a major reason I bought this truck I have, the Cummins and the Aisin. Looking at the frame on this 4500 though and other components and I love my Ram!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Aisin made the AW4 transmissions used in Jeep Grand Cherokees and Cherokees throughout the nineties and earlier. I have never seen such a problem-free transmission. Sure hope they continue to be as reliable with this model in the trucks.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Aisin transmission has been used in the C&C model of trucks the 4500 and 5500 models since they were introduced with the 6.7L engine. These trucks have been well received with the Aisin and trouble free for the most part. Ram had decided since they were going to up the HP and TQ the heavier duty AISIN was required. The transmission model numbers between the C&C models and pick-up truck transmission are different but they should provide similar results.

Jim W.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM

SO Will these Aisin Transmission easily Bolt up. Is there ECM Reprogramming needed? Do they communicate with the Cummins. Anybody got a link?
What kind of cost are we talking?

Anybody got a fuel economy comparison All gear ratios equal?

I'm driving a 2011 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 w/Cummins & 68RFE
Old 10-30-2014, 02:24 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamslammer
SO Will these Aisin Transmission easily Bolt up. Is there ECM Reprogramming needed? Do they communicate with the Cummins. Anybody got a link?
What kind of cost are we talking?

Anybody got a fuel economy comparison All gear ratios equal?

I'm driving a 2011 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 w/Cummins & 68RFE
http://www.dieselhub.com/trans/68RFE.html

"The 68RFE is a diesel specific transmission, unlike previous designs, engineered specifically to meet the needs of the 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel. The transmission's bandless design and upgraded filtration system extend maintenance intervals and reduce service costs. Additionally, the transmission is significantly stronger than Chrysler's 47RE & 48RE proved to be. Finally, the inline 6 Cummins has a 6 speed transmission to utilize all the engine's torque."

http://www.dieselhub.com/trans/aisin-AS69RC.html

"The Aisin AS69RC is a 6 speed automatic transmission offered in the 2013 Ram HD. It is similar in design to the AS68RC, which was only available in chassis cab Rams mated to the 6.7L Cummins. The AS69RC is one of three transmissions offered for 2013, and will be standard on the high output version (385 hp/850 lb-ft) of the 6.7L Cummins. The transmission is larger and more robust than both the AS68RC and 68RFE. Ram claims the transmission has a 64% higher input torque capacity than the 68RFE. It is manufactured by Aison Seiki, a Japanese automotive parts supplier. Though actual input torque capacity is unknown, its application suggests it will be in the 850-950 lb-ft range. For comparison, the AS68RC has a max input capacity of 750 lb-ft. The AS69RC also replaces the AS68RC in chassis cab models for 2013. Its wide ratio spread provides low gearing for tow applications, while a relatively high 0.63 second overdrive keeps engine rpm low at highway speeds to maximize fuel economy."
Old 11-15-2015, 02:35 PM

Will the Aisin Transmission work like Ford's Torqshift in the new superduty? As in when you're in semi automatic mode shifting with the tap shift, will it stay in that gear and lock in like fords? Also do you have the control to start in second like you do with the superduties?

Thx
Old 11-16-2015, 02:28 PM

Dude.

I never made the switch to the aisin transmission. I've never run a ford superduty unless I had to for work. It's like the penalty for working. That's why I drive a dodge when I'm off shift.

Other than this cold weather glitch - the 68 RFE has been great.
I had a friend who wrecked his in muck and off-road towing and yanking on bush roads.

My solenoid changeout has worked awesome. With no issues in the last year. Trailer hauling 8500lbs in 15,000 miles.
Getting speeding ticket hauling a trailer up hill and passing all the way.
Fuel economy unchanged but could be improved with a lighter foot on throttle.

No transmission errors.
Thanks for asking your question and I hope there is a bigger gear head than me that can answer the Ford Super Duty vs. Aisin Tranny.

I have been a little frustrated on this sight for a lack of replies.

But by all means search around because you may find your answers on some bodies tangent.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:52 PM

Hey man, ^^^ by all means I agree with you. I'm Ram all the way. I just was wondering of the response time for shifting gears is quick in "tow haul" mode when you use the (+/-) button tapshift. I want fast shifts and responsive shifts. I was wondering if the Aisin can deliver that, is all.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:34 PM

Leo - I can't tell you what an Aisan is like. But other than this one winter glitch the 68 RFE rocks for me.
The officer said I've never seen anyone haul a trailer and a loaded truck pull that fast up a hill.
And the response time with the combined stock exhaust break it's really good but sometimes there has been a delay before it kicks in. Usually a light tap of the brake pedal gets her gearing down.
I live in BC Canada and there can be some long mountain climbs and steep descents.
There's one valley with some bendy turns where you were coming down at 130-140 kmh and when the sign says 50 you better pay attention. Especially if your electric trailer brakes don't work. But in this truck with the RFE 68 Trans and exhaust brake: Bob is your uncle!
Did I mention we have snow and ice 6 months a year - I'm far far north.like 2/3 the way to Alaska from Washington.
The only other issue transmission wise is the electric shifter. Changed on warranty. But I could see it coming when you have them mounted on a plastic stick off the tree.
If you lose the connection there is no downshift and then you have to drive with "a little more skill"
Only happened once since 2011.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:34 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2003 305/555 nv5600 CCLB 4x4 3.73 gearing. 200k miles

my 2016 CCSB 4x4 with aisin is nice my only complaint is with the 3.42 gears it often feels like its lugging. and the typical torque management off the line lag. the lower gearing of the tranny as well as the slightly more positive shifts sure is noticeable especially on some of the nor cal steep 10%-17% grades. so far the overriding of gear selection seems to be much less than the 68rfe the shifts are slower than the 68rfe and hard acceleration my 2012 is a faster truck than my 2016

my 2012 CCSB 4x4 with 68rfe is what i like to call a rubber band tranny the tranny is probably perfect for 95% of the drivers out there. i am a manual transmission diver and so the transition to the 68rfe took some getting used to. compared to the aisin at full throttle or when you hammer it the 68rfe is faster to get through the gears, making acceleration smoother and more pleasurable when empty and it holds fairly well on 99% of the grades out there with most reasonable loads. i don’t like how it over rides the selected gear on downhill grades under some circumstances it will attempt to up shift. and occasionally it will override a selected gear ratio on a hill climb and attempt to downshift or attempt to unlock the converter to raise rpms. though i understand the intent of the programming often it is at an inopportune time and causes the truck to loose speed that it otherwise could have maintained

All that said there is a very real possibility that I’m going to sell my granite grey babied 2012 CCSB laramie with 55k miles soon or trading it in and i will be buying a 2013+ most likely a 2016 G56 QCSB 4x4 laramie in granite grey or steel metallic is in my very near future. though id like a longbed that is the one compromise with the other half. hence why i keep the 2003 around. with the 2012 laramie i could do a manual tranny swap, but in its current shape I probably could get $39k-40k. So its hard to justify going through the work of the swap when theres that much of a down payment possible.

Adding into this discussion is G56 trucks too

So my observations after driving a 2015 CCLB G56 truck is the G56 trucks are snappier off the line. they have near zero lag compared to the two autos. when stepping from one to the other it was really noticeable. which must be attributable to the torque management programing on the autos. though it doesn’t have 900 ft/lbs like my 2016. it does keep pace with my 2012 68rfe 370/800 2500 pulling an identical 12000 lbs load and on steep switchback roads. Some of the local highways and two lane connectors are 10, 12 and some 17% grades the manual tranny shines as it doesn’t continually search for the right gear. its disadvantage is once in a gear thats probably the gear you’ll be using for most of the grade. the aisin has an upper hand if you don’t mind the random gear shifting and hunting and you’re really trying to win the loaded truck WOT drag race to the top of the hill but thats sure not easy on the tranny.....overall highway cruiser and mountain road cruiser that 2015 3500 SRW with G56 brought me back to the manual transmission on my next purchase. now if I’m cruising the interstates at 45-50+ my Aisin truck is definitely king for WOT loaded drivability but for the mountain highways and roads with 15mph and 25 mph corners and steep grades the aisin, even a duramax allison hunt for gears where as that 2015 just chugged up the grade sometimes cornering in 3rd but overall pulling the grade very well across a wide speed spectrum in 4th without missing a beat. the most recent grade I’m referencing is st helena grade. highway 20 from calistoga to middletown CA. And the other area where I’ve driven all three regularly and the g56 really shone was out to fort Bragg from Willits on again highway 20. with around 12k loads

Food for though. if i were buying an auto id have to ponder what i was using it for because the 68rfe is definitely better in traffic and on the highway unloaded and mildly loaded. The Aisin is a better loaded tranny for sure, even unloaded it is very smooth and firm.... it really shines well on I80 going over and down donner summit just isn’t as fast through the gears the 68rfe, but holds them better. The 2015 G56 owns the highway 20’s, highway 49’s and 395’s of CA’s two lane steep grades and switchbacks and its a pronounced difference that I’m impressed enough with to go backwards. its all just my opinion but if they’d put 3.73’s or 4.10s in the SRW aisin and 68RFE trucks it’d change things some for my opinion but with 3.42’s the g56 loved em.

power wise the three trucks in the end its really hard to tell much of a loaded acceleration difference between the g56, the 800 motor and the 900 motor even though dodge says theres 240 ft/lbs difference they all maintain speed really well and in the conditions i describe you don’t get to use full power much. i don’t remember the last time i was cursing any of the three for being under powered and the real kicker i still feel like the 2003 even in stock HP settings is snappier than all three lol
Old 08-29-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dauntless
Dealer advertising some 2013 trucks with 68RFE transmission and others with some ansi HD transmission. What is the difference? I currently own a 2009 with the 68RFE. I like it so far.
Been disappointed in my Aisin transmission. 6,100 miles .and shimming when it goes into 2nd gear. and they on back order.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by trollingminnow
Been disappointed in my Aisin transmission. 6,100 miles .and shimming when it goes into 2nd gear. and they on back order.
I hear there's a flash for that, I guess you asked your dealer about it?

Quick Reply: 2013 68 RFE transmission and ansi HD transmission