HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

TPS is acting up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPS is acting up.

Well here we go again!............Last May my 'TPS' started messing up and not knowing at the time you could tinker with them and get them back into working order, I sprang for a new one installed to the tune of 354.95 Can. Now eight months later, the new one is starting to act up. So my question is: What do you have to do with the TPS to make it work like new? Not ever doing it before I thought I should ask the guys that know what to do and how to do it.

Also what should I need for tools or meters?

Thank you for all your input and if you prefer to email me, that would be fine to. < ubd896@hotmail.com > Robert
Old 01-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: TPS is acting up.

Oh Sick, I had a problem with my TPS a while back. I simply removed it, and cleaned it real well with contact cleaner, outside and on the plug itself.<br><br> Then after it dried I pit some dielectric grease on the plug before hooking it back up. I found quite a bit of crud keeping it from turning freely and once I did this, everything has been fine.<br><br> I heard that one fellow drilled a small hole in the plastic case of the TPS and sprayed it out with wd40, I would think contact cleaner would be better, but after sealing the hole with RTV sealant it worked fine for him.<br><br> I didn't go to that extreme because I did not have too, it will depend on your own TPS and how bad it is. It is mounted in a place where it can pick up a lot of dirt or spilled oil, so generally a good cleaning and check the plugs at both ends(tranny end) as well. <br> <br> Good chance your problem will clear up
Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 AM

TopSGT

Well I hang my head in shame, so far I haven't even looked to see where it is. When I had it replaced, I just drove in and drove out. Sounds silly, but I was in a hurry at the time.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:26 AM
Admin Team Leader

I will get you a picture of it with my cam so you won't have any trouble finding it.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:31 AM

Oh Sick;
I have a 93 1 ton and my TPS unit started acting up
turns out that the tps was'nt the problem the conection
was all. I found that the DC elect. conection are'nt real
reliable and obviously dealing w/ the vibration of a diesel
only makes things worse. I cut the conector off and spliced
about 3&quot; of fine stranded 14 gauge wire between the wire
harness and the TPS soldered and heat shrinked conections.
The fine strained wire absorbs vibration better a solder conection holds better any the lasted for over 5yrs.

GOOD LUCK sincerlly, RAMGUY
Old 01-15-2003, 10:33 AM

Thanks SGT, I'll be looking forward to it. Robert
Old 01-15-2003, 10:37 AM

Well RAMDUDE I thank you as well for your input. From the way things are shaping up it looks like I was taken for some what of a ride when they said it needed to be replaced.......<br><br>Robert
Old 01-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Admin Team Leader

Here is a picture of it's location on a 96 truck this picture is taken standing over the battery on the drivers side. the TPS can not be seen here but it is behind the negative battery cable, mounted on the throttle linkage.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Admin Team Leader

Here is a close up of the TPS. You can see the two small bolt heads sticking out of it facing downward. <br> When you remove this there is a small spring that lays in it that allows the lever to pull back with the release of the throttle. Keep an eye on that when you do this.<br><br> Also as stated by others clean the terminals in the plugs!<br> Very important.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:30 PM

TopSGT<br><br>Boy! that was quick. OK I think I have it nailed down to where it is at. And I would say form looking at the picture I would say that it is not very easy to work on and see what you are doing!<br><br>Thanks again for the picts. Robert
Old 01-15-2003, 12:35 PM

TopSGT, One more question: When you remove the two bolts that are in the picture, Does the whole unit fall free or is it still fasten ?
Old 01-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Admin Team Leader

On mine the plastic TPS unit just dropped into my hand, the metal bracket with the large throttle return spring stayed on the mount.<br><br> One tip I might add is to disconnect both Negative leads on the battery's before starting, as a precaution this can help from shorting anything out as well as deploying the airbag by accident.<br><br> Probably not much chance of you doing it from that area, still better safe than sorry <br><br>If yours is like mine you will see some corrosion on the plug when you disconnect it, thats why the contact cleaner and a small tube of Dielectric grease is so important.<br><br> All of the connections on these trucks should be cleaned and then put back together with a little dielectric grease on the connections, that would probably fix a great number of small annoying problems we see from time to time.