HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Surging

Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surging

I have a 1999 Dodge 9.5 Cummins Diesel Dully. Upon trying to start it would run for approximately 3 seconds and shut off. Did this several times and it finally started running. On the way home from the food store it started sputtering and skipping while going down the highway. I finally made it to the street where I live and as I turned down the street it shut off completely. At least I'm within walking distance from home at this point so I coasted to the side of the road. There it still sits and will not start. New lift pump was installed approximately 2,000 miles ago. When it was running it had a 18lbs of pressure at idle.
Any help with this problem would be deeply appreciated. This is not the first instance of this happening.
I have brought it to a Dodge dealer and they told me they had no idea what is going on and couldn't fix it. No codes are showing on the dash.
PS. within 3-4 hours it will probably start up and run for a short time then the problem starts all over again. HELP!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:56 AM

well i dont know whats wrong with the truck it has to be something computer related, but maybe its mad that you took it to a ford store i have had problems with my truck starting then dying before to but it does it once in a blue moon and because its a 91 there is nothing electronic under the hood i think there is a leak somewhere in my truck that makes it happen every once in a while i would check for a fuel leak and just check all hoses and injectors/lines
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Surging

Hi, T-Bone. Thanks for answering but we went to a FOOD store not a Ford store. Ha, ha. I think that the 1999 Dodge truck has a different engine. My is a Cummin's Diesel.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM

haha wow its been a long day lol sorry i didnt read that right but anyways, the cummins motors are the best i will never buy a gaser after having my diesel but my best guess is you have a fuel leak somewhere maybe in your return line that isnt letting fuel into your engine corectly
Old 07-13-2011, 04:54 PM

Surging

Thanks T-Bone, it could be how would I determine if it is a fuel line. I pressured the fuel tank with 5 lb s of pressure a while ago and saw no sign of leaking anywhere. It appears the only time this problem arises is when the engine is really hot. When it cools off it starts right back up again.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM

BTW it's only got 64,000 miles on it.l We only use it to pull a trailer.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM

I've had these symtoms on my old '97. The dealer thought it was filter related or fuel cap vent. You might check those. But we Changed it all out and the fuel lines at $500. Down the road and 3 hrs later she dies again. Oh, did I mention I was 1100 miles from home? Well nursed it home with a 30 minute sut down every time it happened, Got home and pulled the tank. Found the fuel strainer, which is poorly built in these things, Thanks Dodge, anyway it had a small hole in it that had sucked up a small piece of foil that some dummiy had lost into the tank from a supplement. It was stopping up the pick up tube , then after sitting awhile it would drop away and start up and run like a top. $500 bucks, many hours, over a 10 cent piece of crap.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 PM

I was gonna suggest dropping the tank and checking the sending unit. They are notorious on the 98-02 5.9s. I have an 02 5.9 and it will act similar when it gets below a quarter tank. Dodge actually discontinued that sending unit and replaces it with one that has the riser pump in the tank if its trashed.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Hi everyone, again. Has anyone heard of the ignition relay switch on the '99 Dodge Ram being defective or overheating? Next time my truck stops I was told to turn the key on and check the voltage in the relay area. Could this be it? I understand it should be at least 6 volts.