HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

sucked air?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sucked air?????

Ok so i tried to put a test gauge on my 99 CTD, in the fuel filter housing. I wanted to see how my lift pump was doing seeing that the truck has 95K on it ect ect. Anyway so i grabbed a pressure gauge from work (0-30PSI) some hose and an 1/8in NPT fitting with barb on it with some hose. I pulled the plug and put the fitting in with the hose on it. I then bumped the starter and got the lift pump running to get the air out of the line and then put the gauge on. fuel just barrley made it 6 inches up the hose and it wouldn't pump anymore. Ok ***? so i tried again..now nothing..ok fine pull the fitting off and get it to pump fuel out with nothing on it...ok great..try again..nothing..ok so i start the thing with air in the line and and it dies...ok i sucked some air ...so i try filling up the fuel filter using the lift pump by bumping the starter..>NOTHING now it won't do anything i think i bumped the starter like 10 times and NOTHING...? anyway so i am assuming my lift pump is shot and now i have air in the lines and can't get it out cause i can't pump anything with it or what? anyway any suggestions would be great seeing as i need to DRIVE my truck home tonight!

Stew dead CTD

Edited by Moderator
Old 01-07-2004, 05:30 PM

Connect everything up as before you started.

Loosen a fuel connection at one of your injectors. Bump the starter and watch for fuel/bubbles. Anything? If yes, pump is working and there is air in the lines. If nothing, then maybe the pump is not working.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:37 PM
DPG

What SBishop said. I have had to bump my starter more than a dozen times to get the CTD to fire after changing the fuel filter. And my lift pump puts out almost 16 psi at idle, and no lower than 10 at WOT. I would try cracking an injector line and see what you get.

DeWain
Old 01-07-2004, 06:39 PM

i pulled the inlet banjo bolt out and nothing nodda no fuel is coming out....the pump sounds like it is trying to pump air. What a cluster.... anway i will try and hook everything up and crack an injector line and see what that does. If you changed your lift pump what is the procedure for priming the system? this sucks

Stew
Old 01-07-2004, 08:45 PM

deffinitly lift pump. I pulled it out and hooked it up to the inlet line and had my dad hit the key while i pointe the pump into a bucket. Nothing. I put my finger over it and no pressure on my finger...so i am dam sure it is the lift pump. What does suck is who the hell knows how long this has been dieing and killing the injector pump!!! oh well such is life i guess...and i bought this thing just for this reason! GRRR

Stew
Old 01-09-2004, 12:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
don't feel too bad i had to learn the same way and beating yourself up is no fun get a fuel press. gauge and make sure it stays above 8
it took me 2 pumps to make the learning curve, but oh well
Old 03-15-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Does anyone know why Dodge does not put FP gauges in, in the first place? Why...with all of the fancy monitoring systems the 99 has ...why doesn't the computer tell us there is no lift pump pressure?

Just looking for conversation I guess. It's raining out side.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Geico266
Does anyone know why Dodge does not put FP gauges in, in the first place? Why...with all of the fancy monitoring systems the 99 has ...why doesn't the computer tell us there is no lift pump pressure?

Just looking for conversation I guess. It's raining out side.
Simple answer: Money.

Why did they start removing the simple things.
Tailgate plastic, body moulding, lighted ignition key halo, rear cupholders, hood liner, the list goes on and on.

Also the service department would have all those clueless owners in for service anytime it read out anything different than it normally does.

phox