HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Spring Clip - Clutch Fork - Need it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 11:47 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Clip - Clutch Fork - Need it?

I forgot to put the spring clip on my clutch fork I was about to unbolt the tranny to slide it on but I don't see why it's nesscessary. What exactly what be the big deal if I didn't use the srpinf retainer clip on the clutch fork that attaches to the pivot ball?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:34 PM
Muted User

Re:Spring Clip - Clutch Fork - Need it?

That's what I was thinking. I was told by South Bend that the clip would keep the fork from coming off the pivot ball incase the truck got rattled really bad when in gear going down the road... but he said he'd drive without it anyway until something happened. But I didn't see how the clutch fork could come off far enough to spin or do anything weird. The clutch fork is always under 2-3 pounds of preassure holding it to the slave cyl. pushrod. So I don't see how it come unseated and have enough free play to go anywhere. I think I might unbolt the tranny and put the clip on anyways. Is the spring so wimpy that you don't see how it could keep the clutch fork from doing what it wants anyway? That it truly seems as useful as just using it as a anti-rattler? When you say diaphram you mean the clutch spring fingers that go around in a circle?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This kind of makes me feel better. I was messing around with the pivot today and that spring clip popped off when I barely pushed the release bearing back and forth. So I shouldn't worry about it coming off once the tranny is all bolted to the clutch? The spring doesn't seem to do much other than maybe keep it from rattling, but it pops off so easily when you manually push the slave rod side of the pivot.... Can anyone confirm thats how it's suppose to be? Because that weak of a spring clip can't hold the pivot on by itself, just wanted to make sure I didn't need a new clip or somthing.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Banned

my old truck has about 50k on it w/ no clip