HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Speed Sensor or TPS??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed Sensor or TPS??

My '92 with auto keeps hunting in and out of o/d from about 60kmh and up. The o/d off button functions properly and cruise works with o/d off, but continues to accelerate while doing the hunting thing. The speedo needle is steady (but in the past has 'jerked' (when o/d was working) and would kick the cruise off. I have checked and cleaned connections on tps, speed sensor and crank speed sensor? (the one hanging over the harmonic balancer) Where do you folks think I should throw my money first, tps or speed sensor; or does anyone think it might actually be a control module problem? Any thoughts? Thanks. Dino
Old 03-03-2003, 09:10 PM

Re:Speed Sensor or TPS??

The first thing I would check is the voltage on the TPS, if it is set to high then it will make it hunt for overdrive. The voltage sent to the controller make it think you are in WOT. I have my voltage set at about .750vdc now. The other day my OD on my 92 would kick in and out at about 50mph.<br><br>I checked the voltage and it was 1.2vdc, after I reset it to the lower voltage it shifts fine now. I have had trouble in the past with the speed sensor being bad (cracked nut). The speed sensor is basically a device that is bound to go bad because of the design, cost about $60US. One other thing that can effect the shift into O/D is the temperature sensor on the tranny, cost about $12US.<br><br>I have taken the top off the TPS and sprayed with contact cleaner, glued top back on and reinstalled and have had good results. The present TPS is about 3yrs old. and still works good except for the occasional adjustment to the voltage, they seem to drift a little.<br><br>Check your manual for the procedure for adjusting the voltage at the TPS. The 1vdc starting voltage is a little high for my truck.<br><br>Good luck. <br><br>Jim
Old 03-04-2003, 08:01 PM

Re:Speed Sensor or TPS??

Hey Dino,<br><br> My 92 was doing the samething, running about 50-55 it would drop into 3rd, then shift back to 4th, and at times, wouldn't shift to 4th until 60-65. This past weekend I tried to adjust the voltage, was up around 2.0, after lossening the 2 bolts and trying to turn it, it would drop voltage low enough, I finally wound up removing the 2 little steel sleeves in the TPS to give it just a bit more, shifts like a new one now, voltage at 1.0