24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

IAT Sensor, TPS Sensor ,APPS Reset

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IAT Sensor, TPS Sensor ,APPS Reset

I have read in various threads regarding mileage/performance, that cleaning the IAT sensor helps. How do you do this & how often seems to be best practice?
Same quetion, TPS Sensor.
What is the APPS & how do you reset it? Why?
Old 01-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TPS=Throttle Position Sensor, found on 12 valve engines.

APPS= Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor, found on 24 valve engines.

Here's a link to the APPS reset procedure:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1

IAT cleaning, just pull it out and shoot it with some brake cleaner.

Here's a link explaining and describing:

http://smokindiesel.com/Technical.htm

And a link showing you where it is (number 7)
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/mt_2_fe...l_sys_comp.htm

Have fun.

phox
Old 01-13-2005, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the links phox
Do you mean remove the IAT sensor and clean it or just brake kleen the connectors to it?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by ratsun
Thanks for the links phox
Do you mean remove the IAT sensor and clean it or just brake kleen the connectors to it?
Remove and clean.

Wouldn't hurt to clean the contacts while you have it out, both on the IAT and the connector.

phox
Old 01-13-2005, 06:04 PM

I will give it a try. Thanks again
Old 01-13-2005, 06:55 PM

You guys got the answers. Any idea on how often this should be done? 25,000 miles? First sign of mileage going south?
I am sure these answers will help many 24 valve gen2 guys like myself.
Also applicable to Gen 3?
Old 04-06-2007, 07:25 PM

anyone out there got an idea if this applicable to 3rd gen? gonna try to reset this way anyways. hope it works. can someone let me know if there is a nother way to reset it. thanks
Old 04-06-2007, 10:00 PM

Any Harm In Putting The Iat In The Intake Horn So It Will Not Get So Dirty.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:13 PM

i reset my APPS sensor and iy worked. WOO HOO. i actually have power. thanks guys, its like a new truck. also getting bout2.5mpg more round town. f ing a. this is deadly. THIS SITE AND YOU GUYS ROCK
Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 PM

is there anyway to tell if you have a bad IAT beside the low fuel milage? i just took mine out and cleaned it..hope that helps..can i do the same thing with my map sensor??
Old 05-08-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by REDNECK-WELDING
is there anyway to tell if you have a bad IAT beside the low fuel milage? i just took mine out and cleaned it..hope that helps..can i do the same thing with my map sensor??

Like to know the answer also.

My truck, 01' ETH has been experiencing a sort of pulsing feeling in the engine during constant rpm in the 1800 to 2000 range. Doesn't matter what gear you are in or how fast you are moving.

Truck has less then 70K miles on it and I replaced the fuel filter about 7K miles ago and the one that came out looked fine, Still has power when you stomp on it and no hesitation/bucking just this pulsating feel like it is defueling and then refueling if that makes any sence.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Remove and clean.

Wouldn't hurt to clean the contacts while you have it out, both on the IAT and the connector.

phox
If you clean the contact plug, besure to reapply a coating die-electric grease. Failure to do so allow moister to enter.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by tmccormick
Like to know the answer also.

My truck, 01' ETH has been experiencing a sort of pulsing feeling in the engine during constant rpm in the 1800 to 2000 range. Doesn't matter what gear you are in or how fast you are moving.

Truck has less then 70K miles on it and I replaced the fuel filter about 7K miles ago and the one that came out looked fine, Still has power when you stomp on it and no hesitation/bucking just this pulsating feel like it is defueling and then refueling if that makes any sence.
That sounds more like IP and LP issues. If the LP isn't suppling enough fuel to the IP pump at WOT, the IP will surge. I really think what you are describing is that the LP is cavitating.
Cleaning the MAP sensor and/or the IAT sensor wouldn't help this. Are you getting any codes?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
That sounds more like IP and LP issues. If the LP isn't suppling enough fuel to the IP pump at WOT, the IP will surge. I really think what you are describing is that the LP is cavitating.
Cleaning the MAP sensor and/or the IAT sensor wouldn't help this. Are you getting any codes?
Sorry, no codes.

Maybe I wasn't to clear but the truck does this pulsing thing during normal driving, just crusing down the highway at a constant speed at the RPM I decribed not at WOT. At WOT it runs just fine, has plenty of power.

I always wondered if the new USLD fuel has anything to do with this?
Anyone else notice any changes on how there 2nd gen. trucks run with USLD?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by tmccormick
Sorry, no codes.

Maybe I wasn't to clear but the truck does this pulsing thing during normal driving, just crusing down the highway at a constant speed at the RPM I decribed not at WOT. At WOT it runs just fine, has plenty of power.
hmmmmmmmmm. You could try cleaning the before mentioned sensors, but I'd still put my money on IP issues. Do you run any additives in your fuel? I had a simular motor "surge", but at idle while in gear. In nuetral the "surge" goes away. But I've started adding two-stroke oil to my fuel every other tank and that problem has vansihed.
Of course yours happens while cruising.......... So I'm still leaning towards those darm fuel pumps; IP and LP. Do a search on this site for a post that had a video of LP cavitation. It's pretty intresting.

Quick Reply: IAT Sensor, TPS Sensor ,APPS Reset