HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

smoggin'

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
smoggin'

New to the ctd world. have 97 12 valve, lots of power but wont pass emissions in ID. 40% opacity required, three tests done ranging 51-76 percent. have adjusted afc to try and clean it up, doesnt appear to help. any takers?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What have you done to the truck? Have you tinkered with the IP?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:05 AM

smoggin

only thing attempted was an adjustment of the afc. rotated til it was all the way to the rear of valve. the truck is stock with 173000 on the dial. thought of popping the afc housing loose and shifting it as well but if cranking the starwheel all the way didnt work that probably wouldnt either. thoughts? ideas?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 AM

Kelly,

With that much opacity I am wondering if someone put big injectors in it? They might also have slid the fueling plate way forwards. Try sliding the plate back, its under the afc housing.

I have 370 injectors and now half cut delivery valves in my truck and it hazes at idle and when I get into it it smokes pretty good. It had the idle haze before the DV's. The fueling plate will only affect the truck if they test it on a dyno, it has nothing to do with fueling at idle or no boost conditions.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:43 AM

How are they doing the opacity test?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:50 AM

smoggin'

the guy i got it from was the orig. owner. bought it in OR. from all indications nothing has been touched. no marks on inj., pump, or any hardware as if it has been modified. its from an idle to 2000 rpm throttle up. hard throttle up! i was the first to crack open the afc.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be injector problem...

Hard throttle up might be the throttle cable. Mine was severely frayed when I bought the truck. I had it replaced under the recall.

I just pulled my 370s out- recently had big trouble with more smoke than usual under all conditions with a slight loss of power. The last few weeks this kept getting worse. The smoke at idle was blue changing to grey when warmed up. Unbelievable amount, as if the engine was blown, rings gone or piston cracked or something! Put in "new" (actually rebuilt and EDM'd special cut "290s" from New Era Diesel), problem solved. Burns completely clean at idle and just a very small puff of smoke under acceleration during normal driving conditions. Now if I floor it, I still get quite a bit of smoke, but it's more brown than black. The preformance is not much less than it was with the 370s when new.

I mention all of this because I was really stressed as to what the problem might be, considered possible leaky turbo seals, valve stem seals, slipped pump timing, a hole in the AFC diaphram etc., etc. I only had 51,000 miles on the 370s, but they were very hard miles. Also the biggest part of the trouble started a couple of months ago when the truck immediately stalled after adding about 1/2 a tank of waste vegetable oil that evedently had a high water content. The injector tips were all severely carboned up. I bet half the holes weren't even spraying and the other half were dribbling from the injectors sticking partially open!

It could very well be that you're in need of an injector change. You could try a professional cleaning, it might net good enough results to pass the test.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
A stock engine with up-to-date maintenance will pass the opacity test. A few things to check:
Your engine oil is old/dirty. Change it.
Your injectors are clogged. Try injector cleaner or remove for spray test.
For the smog test, have your engine really hot like when you pull a load uphill on a hot day.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:20 PM

smoggin'

thx for the tips, i'll apply a few of them and see what happens. post results afterward
Old 08-11-2006, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how's the air filter?