HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

slow acceleration, intermitent?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slow acceleration, intermitent?

my 2001 cummins is acting up. starts and idles fine, a couple of times durring acceleration it didnt have any power and accelerated slowly. also looked to be smoking a bit. this only happened 2 maybe 3 times. whiteish/grayish colored smoke.

i am hoping bad fuel, it is near empty. i plan to fuel it up and change the fuel filter. any other recomendations? i did look back a few days of post here. i wasnt sure what to search for. thanks Outdoorsman.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:20 PM

i would start with the air filter and fuel filter then see how it is.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
poor power

sounds like you need a APPS reset the 3 key method is best. Also may need injectors to be pop tested and replaced. If this doesn't helpl PM me. Do you have a #53 block?????
Old 08-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Change the fuel filter and fill the tank, then if that doesn't fix the problem.

If I had to guess, and that's pretty much what we do here , I'd say your lift pump was going out, if not already dead.

Low power is one of the signs.
Smoke associated with the low power situations however, is more likely the injection pump.

Lift pump dies, doesn't supply enough fuel to lube and cool the injection pump (VP44), and it dies.

Get your lift pump pressure/flow rate tested.

phox
Old 08-18-2005, 05:08 PM

thanks for the advice guys. i started this thread a month ago. lol since then i learned how to get the codes from the odometer (thanks DTR) i also learned alot of info about the vp 44 and what it is, and the lift pump.

i have the p0216 code. oh well.... i get the dead pedal every once in a while. it is far more worse when it is hot, 90+ degrees. our heat and humidity have calmed down a bit so i have not had the dead pedal to often. it is definitley heat related.

so i plan on dc fixing my truck as soon as i find a dealer in s/e michigan that i trust to do the work on it. WARRANTY

then i plan on getting gauges soon after and maybe a bomb or 2. i just turned 78,000 miles. i love my truck.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:29 PM

So can someone describe the "dead peddle" to me. I can only assume loss of power when hitting the skinny peddle but does it surge meaning no power then power. What are the warning signs.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by OUTDOORSMAN
i started this thread a month ago.
I didn't even notice the date.

phox
Old 08-19-2005, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by 2500Ram
So can someone describe the "dead peddle" to me. I can only assume loss of power when hitting the skinny peddle but does it surge meaning no power then power. What are the warning signs.

Thanks.
for me it is not getting any additional fuel or very little additional fuel at all. so basically it does not accelerate. someone else here mentioned having to turn the key on and off while rolling,obviously not all the way off to lock the wheel, and that does whatever it does and she goes again. probable causes are bad lp (lift pump) and or bad ip (injector pump).

i would always let my fuel run down past empty. i never knew that the truck needs that extra fuel in the tank to cool and lube the injector pump (vp44) some good advice may be to keep it above empty as much as you can. i will from now on.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:00 PM

dead pedel

I have had this for years and have described this to both cummins and cryslurr mechs as it revs and screams but you get no more power. For the fuel advancement cam isn't being advanced. Both cumminnnss and cryslurrr don't understand this 39 visits to the different dollarsh--s. Very fustrating. I have a bad voltage problem and they don't understand that either. Iam willing to bet that there are a number out there that have bad voltage problems and think that it is normal. I say a nice International out side today that looks very good!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Plumdumbbozo (05-08-2023)
Old 09-12-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by neveragain
I have had this for years and have described this to both cummins and cryslurr mechs as it revs and screams but you get no more power. For the fuel advancement cam isn't being advanced. Both cumminnnss and cryslurrr don't understand this 39 visits to the different dollarsh--s. Very fustrating. I have a bad voltage problem and they don't understand that either. Iam willing to bet that there are a number out there that have bad voltage problems and think that it is normal. I say a nice International out side today that looks very good!!!!!
I believe I may have a related problem, see my post about loss of power, timing advance