HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Radio dead, door locks won't work, keyless entry dead...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio dead, door locks won't work, keyless entry dead...

Hi guys,

I need some help. My aftermarket radio started having some problems the other day, so I ordered a replacement ribbon cable to fix it. I put the stock radio in the truck for the time being. Well, I got the part today and fixed the radio. I plugged it back into the truck to test it and all was well. Everything was working as normal, so I was placing the radio into its little cubby hole when it just went dead. I removed the aftermarket radio and plugged the stock one back up. It was dead also.

So as I was coming inside, I hit my keyless entry to lock the truck. It doesn't work. So I went to lock the doors using the power door locks. They didn't work. The power door locks on the passenger side are dead as well.

If I put the key in the ignition and turn it to on, only the drivers power window control works and it controls all windows. All the other controls (passenger and rear controls) are dead. Also while the key is in the on position, if I have the drivers door open I can unlock the doors using the power locks but cannot lock them. If I shut the door, I can lock and unlock them and the keyless entry fob works as well. But no radio no matter what I do.

I tried to check for codes by turning the key to on 3 times, but nothing would ever come up (is there some special trick?). I tried checking the fuses, but none of the ones that I checked were blown. I tried unhooking the batteries for about 30 minutes, but that didn't work either.

Everything other than the problems above appears to be working just fine. Truck cranks and runs fine without a light being thrown. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 PM

Does anybody have an idea? I've run out of them...
Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 PM

Did you check the fuses and relays under the hood??
Old 06-27-2008, 07:55 PM

Yeah, I couldn't find any that were blown. The aftermarket radio has a fuse inline before it connects to the wiring harness and it wasn't blown either.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:05 AM

sounds like the same problem I had on a Ramcharger I bought, the ignition switch has 2 power circuits, one for the engine, etc, and the other powers the windows, locks, and a few other things. I figured this out from looking at the back of the fuse block... Cost me under $30 at Schucks, and is an easy swap.

If it's not the ignition switch then I don't klnow
Old 06-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Well, I've sent the truck to the dealer but they aren't going to be able to get to it until at least monday, so we'll see how that goes. I've had one of my co-workers who is a pretty good mechanic tell me he thinks that it could be a loose ground somewhere. He said that he had it happen on one of his volkswagens and it did things almost exactly like mine is doing. I'll post back when we figure out what's wrong with it.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:09 PM

Ok, for anyone that's interested, I just heard back form the dealer. Apparently it is a blown IOD (Ignition Off Draw) fuse. Apparently I didn't check that fuse. Oh well, it should be ready to go by this afternoon. Thanks for the help guys.