HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Put Gas in my Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put Gas in my Diesel

I haven't posted for awhile but alas made a major booboo yesterday. They changed the colors on the pumps where I usually get diesel and I pumped about 25.00 worth of regular gas in it. Drove it for about 3 miles where it just quite. Its at a garage here in town and they are emptying it as we speak.

The weird thing is it did not even run funky, it just quite.

Anyone want to advise some of the repercussions of this mistake?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Possible damage to the injectors, VP44, engine.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 AM

you're screwed, sorry.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by cdennyb
you're screwed, sorry.
Would you care to elaborate on that?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM

How much diesel did you have in your tank before adding the gas? If ran mostly gas it will have to be checked to find the extent of damage.
Good luck
Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 PM

It may not be that bad, How much diesel was in the tank? If if was straight gas, that could be bad, but it probably shortened the life of your IP. Gas is a solvent and provides no lubrication. Diesel trucks require the oil in diesel to help lube the internals of pump and injectors. Ive had gas in my 97, but it has the P7100 pump(very strong/dependable, your 2000 has the VP44 which is very picky and has a long history of of a short lifespan.
If it is a good shop, they will siphon out the tank, fill with a few gallons of diesel, siphon out again. May repeat it that if there is more to get out. Then unhook fuel one up by filter, and apply small amt of air pressure to fuel tank to push out any gas in lines. New filters needed as well. Plus adding Powerserve or Howes is a good idea for awhile. Changing the oil should be done as well, if you feel it is necessary.
Good luck. Let us know.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:57 PM

It was about an even mix of diesel and gas, I had about 5-8 gallons of diesel to 5 gallons of gas. I love this truck and hope that it is fixable.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:18 PM

I think there are 2 kinds of diesel owners. Those who have put gas in it and those who will. At least every diesel owner I know of has at one time or another done the same thing. I once put about 15 gallons of gas in my old truck. Dumped a couple quarts of oil in it and kept topping it off with a gallon or two of diesel for a bit and never had any problems. I do pump a couple gallons of gas in per tank in the winter if it's pretty cold.

If you do have problems, I'll say it will probably be with the VP44 not getting the lubrication it needs. I know bigger equipment isn't quite the same, but I've seen CAT manuals for road machinery recommend a 50/50 mix gas/diesel in the winter.

On a side note, my brother once did the same in his Ford, but he filled his completely full of gas. He realized his mistake before driving it, but couldn't really do anything about it at the store. Dumped a few quarts of oil in, bought a pump to get it all out of the tank, filled back up with diesel and never had a problem, so don't worry too much, your "probably" OK.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
In many cases it is an inconviance not a major problem. The fact that you had a 50/50 mix may help. You need to flush out the lines, empty the tank and change all filters. Then prine all lines, again flushing any of the gas mixture out of the system. Then start it up and see what happens. I would guess that all will be OK, but as they said the injector pump may be an issue, the 50/50 mix is in your favor though.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chances are that you will be just fine since you caught the problem quickly and your mix was close to 50/50. There are a number of people who blend regular unleaded gas (RUG) with waste vegetable oil (WVO) along with a bunch of other stuff on single tank systems and still run strong. I don't think once will kill you.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. I can say that if my husband would have pumped the gas in it would have been much worse.lol. I think he is counting his lucky stars. This is my truck and I am always telling him to make sure when he fills it up to make sure its diesel. Guess I will have to shut my mouth now.

I am hauling up to north Idaho in the next 6 mos with a trailer full of horses. One way about 2905 miles. Is there a way to have the VP44 checked before that trip to make sure it is working ok? If all turns out well now that is?

Also has anyone heard of putting automatic transmission fluid in the tank if the mistake has been caught at the pump?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Per many other posts,
DO NOT PUT ATF IN WITH YOUR FUEL!!!!!!!!!

On the older mechanical engines it may have been OK but on the newer CR electronic engines do not do it. Not good for any of the parts. If you want to put something into the fuel system 2 cycle oil in moderate amounts won't hurt anything, it's designed to burn also. As far as testing the pump I really have no ideas, a fuel pressure gauge might give you some forewarning of impending problems but as above you only drove a few miles, hopefully not far enough to create a problem.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM

I would get a fuel pressure gauge to make me feel better, so i can see a problem coming in stead of finding out when it is too late.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 PM

I almost put gas in my diesel 2 tanks ago. Thank God the pump wouldn't turn on! I kept hitting the 'Diesel' button and nothing would happen. My wife pointed out I should probably use the diesel nozzle if I wanted to pump diesel fuel.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 PM

If you had 5-8 gallons of diesel in you tank and added 5 gallons of gas, if you'd been aware of it at the time of filling you could have topped it off with diesel and probably been just fine. Since she quit, you'll get it flushed out and be good to go.

Too much gas in diesel will sure enough clean injectors, and not the best for an IP either, but it's not the "end of the road" for your truck.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Most all who own diesel engines will eventually make the same error!

Quick Reply: Put Gas in my Diesel