HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Need towing help, please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 09:32 AM
MDW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need towing help, please

I am asking for help from someone with a 5th wheel hitch.
As we were evacuating from Texas City, Texas we had a axle break on the truck towing our 36' Avion 5th wheel trailer.
I'm looking to get the trailer and truck towed back to Texas City.
The trailer will be the hardest as any wrecker can tow the truck.
The truck is still hooked to the trailer on the side on Hwy146 in Baytown.

We would very much appreciate the help.
You can contact me at 281-960-3497cell or 281-960-3538cell
Thanks in advance Pam & Michael Watkins
Old 09-24-2005, 09:35 PM

I tried your cell phone with no luck, I would suggest to contact a local RV dealership as they will get your trailer to thier lot for little or no fee, I have done this before and have known quite a few others, and most RV dealers are willing to help. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 09-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that's a bummer. If I was closer and had a fiver hitch, I'd do it for you.
If no one here jumps in, trying a local dealer sounds like a good idea. At least Rita didn't hit you dead center.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:49 AM

I reached him and suggested the above, The cell phone service is terrible down there at the time. He is safe and is waiting permission to go back. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 09-25-2005, 07:48 PM
MDW

Having a hard time getting online.
Will be heading back tuesday morning. That is when we are told it will be ok to return.
I have no idea if its still on the side of the road or not.
Might still need help, don't know yet.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:19 PM
MDW

Update: The trailer has been removed from the side of the road and none of the agency's can find it.
So, we will not need help removing it. Thanks for the offers.
We will be back in town tomorrow and if they still can't find it we will report it stolen.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy-Moly! As if you didn't have enough problems!
I hope all turns out well for you.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:39 PM
MDW

Public officials

To Whom it May Concern:
Here’s my story.

Hurricane Rita is on her way.
Time to evacuate.
Load up the Trucks and trailers with our possessions.
Spend 9 hours getting nowhere, actually to Hwy 146 at the Main St. exit from Texas City.
Where one of my trucks breaks down. The one towing our home away from home, our travel trailer.
Call the Baytown police, they arrive much quicker than expected, about an hour.
They call a wrecker
Wrecker shows up quicker than expected but can’t tow the travel trailer just the truck.
After discussions with the officer he tells me if I can get it into the emergency lane it will stay there till I can return to retrieve it unless Rita does it in first.
I refuse the towing and push the truck and trailer to the side of the road with the other truck.
We move as much of our possessions as we can to the other trailer and keep going but now have no place to stay. My wife my mother and myself. What to do.
As we sit in traffic worrying we try hotels to no avail.
Our only option as we see it is to go to my uncles in Louisiana just north of New Orleans.
After about 36 hours of no sleep we make it to refuge finally.
We sleep.
Hurricane Rita turns north unexpectedly and missed Texas City.
The place we are at loses power. Time to evactuate again.
We go to New Orleans of all places as my other uncle has power.
We return the next day as power is restored.
We are now on the other side of the damaged area with no route back as officials say to stay away.
We obey.
I talk to people in Houston on Sunday who goes to look for the truck and trailer to see if it is ok.
No truck and trailer??
We start calling Baytown police but are told “we didn’t tow any vehicles” call Harris county sheriff.
We call all agencies: Harris county, Houston police, DPS, TX Dot(trying anything at this point) to no avail.
We call back to Baytown to be told “we don’t have it” but that they heard Harris County came through and towed vehicles call them.
We call Harris County again.
This goes on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.
We return Tuesday. I call Baytown again. They heard that Harris county was holding vehicles at a park and ride lot on North Shepard and the only way to see if it was there was to drive up and look for it.
We go look. Not there.
Wednesday morning, I call Baytown again this time to report the truck and trailer stolen since noone can find it.
They tell me Baytown police cannot make the report as its the county’s problem call them.
I call Harris County again.
I’m told the only way to make the report is I have to drive up to the Wallisville rd sub station.
I’m losing my mind after hours of being told, “we didn’t tow it or call someone else, we can’t help you”
I call Harris County back to see if anyone can make to report over the phone please.
I find a beckon in the storm. Someone willing to help, finally.
She calls every agency she can think of to no avail so she says I need to make out the stolen report with Baytown.
My heart sinks.
I inform her that was why I was calling her.
She informs me its Baytown jurisdiction but while I’m still on the phone with her she calls Baytown PD gets Baytown to understand it’s there report to take.
Thank you.
Baytown now informs me that an officer must call me back.
Dejected again.
An officer calls me within 2 hours, great.
He asks me “what can I do for you”?
I say that I need to report a stolen truck and trailer.
He says do you mean the truck and trailer had towed by XXXX towing company??
I said WHAT??
You know where it is??
He gives me the name of the towing company and phone number.
I call to find out I owe over 500 dollars to get my vehicle back. OMG…
A big portion is storage fees.
Someone shoot me now…….
First I was told it wouldn’t be towed.
Then its gone and noone has it…..Baytown police WE DID NOT TOW ANY VEHICLES, then how did it end up in a tow yard.
Come to find out Baytown police had it towed and didn’t inform anyone as to its location (including itself) as it racks up storage fees.

To say I am disappointed would be the understatement of the century.
We had a horrible time evacuating.
Come to find out for no apparent reason, as the hurricane didn’t even come here.
Now feeling like a fool and reevaluating our choice to leave, we get let down by our own system.
I will have to say this will be a large factor as to wether or not I leave in the face of another hurricane.
I have much more to say but just don’t have the energy.

Michael
Old 09-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Banned

I agree with your frustrations. However, be very grateful that the hurricane did NOT hit Texas City as a category 5 for I am sure that you would have many more grievances. With the hurricane not hitting the key spots on the coast many lives/personal property were saved. God bless you and be glad that you weathered the storm safely. Remember you cannot be TOO prepared for something that can produce that large a scale of devastation....
Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 AM
MDW

I realize things could have been worse.
This just didn't need to happen.

I am thankful that we didn't take a direct hit from Rita and I'm mournful of those that did.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb HUGE Bummer!

Sorry to hear of your situation Michael,
Do you think there is any way the towing company will waive the storage fees? Do you have any TV stations that might have a way of helping you explain your problem? We have the local station WWBT-12 (NBC), who have a segment on their news show called "12 On Your Side". They help people try to work out problems such as this by contacting the business and trying to finds solutions. Most times, the companies involved don't want any bad publicity and look at it as free advertising themselves as being "Good Samaritans". Your case surely sounds like one in which the tow company won't be losing any money by waiving the storage fees at least, especially under the circumstances. You still may have to pay the tow bill,,, but you might save a few bucks.
Hopefully, things will turn out OK and we are glad to hear that you and the family are alright.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:35 AM
MDW

Here's an update:
I talk to a captain at the Baytown PD. He investigated the matter and found that one of his officers was delinquent in reporting my truck and trailer towed.
He admitted to the mistake and told me they would take care of the wrecker and storage bill.
So I went and picked up the trailer and had the wrecker co. tow the truck to the shop.
I'm just hoping I don't get a bill in the mail at a later date.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MDW
Here's an update:
I talk to a captain at the Baytown PD. He investigated the matter and found that one of his officers was delinquent in reporting my truck and trailer towed.
He admitted to the mistake and told me they would take care of the wrecker and storage bill.
So I went and picked up the trailer and had the wrecker co. tow the truck to the shop.
I'm just hoping I don't get a bill in the mail at a later date.
Sounds like a happier ending than the previous one! Glad to hear things are going a little better.