HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Just installed FASS - Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed FASS - Won't start

Installed FASS and now will not start. I ran about 2 gallons of fule thru the FASS before I hooked it to the injector pump. Then I loossened the fitting that goes into the injector pump and started the FASS by bumping the starter again. Fule sprayed out and while the pump was still running I locked down the inlet fitting. I feel certain that there is no air in the system right up to the inj pump. I even tried unplugging the FASS fuse to see if maybe I had the high pressure hard start problem described in the FASS instructions. How to you prime this system? Is there a plug on the inj pump that I can crack to bleed out any air?? Thanks.

Louis
Old 07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you crack open an injector line to see if you have fuel at the cylinders?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:51 AM

What he said.

You will have to crack loose probably two or three lines to get it going.
loosen lines, dont loosen them very much just so the fluid/air can leak out and crank her over a few times. It will start to cough and sputter and leak diesel everywhere then you tighten those lines back up and fire it up.

dan
Old 07-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It helps to control things if you wrap a rag aound them.

DONT TRY THIS==> but I will have to admit I did it. I held a rag soaked with gas to the intake of an air breather on a deisel (detroit) to get it primed. Had someone crank it over, and just squeezed a little juice out of the rag and it fired up. It ran a little rough, and each time it started to die, just squeeze the rag again, it it would come back. Eventually the air got cleared and away we went. It was one of those "in a bind with no tools" days. Plus about 20 years younger. It's a wonder we didn't blow the intake off of it.

I'll repeat. Don't try this.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:46 AM

I cracked 3 lines at the head and still no fuel. I cranked twice, maybe 5 sec per try. I will try again in a few minutes.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:06 PM

Takes more cranking time than that.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 PM

Yes it did take more cranking than that. I would go back every 1/2 hour or so and crank for 5 sec or so. At last I had fuel at one and then another and then it started so I shut her down, tightened the lines and cranked her up. I wonder if it would have started w/o cracking the lines??

Thanks for all the help. Louis
Old 07-12-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Yes it did take more cranking than that. I would go back every 1/2 hour or so and crank for 5 sec or so. At last I had fuel at one and then another and then it started so I shut her down, tightened the lines and cranked her up. I wonder if it would have started w/o cracking the lines??

Thanks for all the help. Louis
5 seconds? They her rip for 30 seconds at a crack, then let it cool for 10 mins. She'll start.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
REALLY don't try this!

Originally Posted by charliez
It helps to control things if you wrap a rag aound them.

DONT TRY THIS==> but I will have to admit I did it. I held a rag soaked with gas to the intake of an air breather on a deisel (detroit) to get it primed. Had someone crank it over, and just squeezed a little juice out of the rag and it fired up. It ran a little rough, and each time it started to die, just squeeze the rag again, it it would come back. Eventually the air got cleared and away we went. It was one of those "in a bind with no tools" days. Plus about 20 years younger. It's a wonder we didn't blow the intake off of it.

I'll repeat. Don't try this.
When I drove powerjokes, the glow plugs needed all the help they could get in the dead of winter, so as the Service Manager, I'd make the executive decison to light 'em off with ETHER sprayed liberally through the intake... wow, got some pretty cool fireballs from that routine!
..... sure takes a healthy boom to blow the hood insulation off - I used to scare the snot out of the newbies (I'd make the newbie spray while I hit the starter)
but I never scorched any eyebrows, just soiled a few boxers.

Speaking of abusing powerchokes, one of my rocket-scientist techs filled up a diesel with unleaded
& drove 'til it the radio wasn't able to drown out the noise we drained it, put in the green stuff and drove it for years.

Disclaimer: these were NOT customer's vehicles - just our own service dept's.
Besides - they were only F**Ds...
Old 07-13-2006, 12:40 PM

When my supply pump went I had to get pushed into my shop (fortunately it died almost right outside). The fuel gauge was bottomed out so we added 5 gallons of diesel but still no start. Found the bad transfer pump and replaced it. While at the cummins garage they got a mechanic who said crack the #1 and #4 injectors and crank it. I had my Dad crank while I monitored the spray. As soon as it threatened to start I had him stop and I tightened the fuel lines. Started right up. Sounds like you've been getting good advice here. Keep trying and it should start for you.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Louis
Installed FASS and now will not start. I ran about 2 gallons of fule thru the FASS before I hooked it to the injector pump. Then I loossened the fitting that goes into the injector pump and started the FASS by bumping the starter again. Fule sprayed out and while the pump was still running I locked down the inlet fitting. I feel certain that there is no air in the system right up to the inj pump. I even tried unplugging the FASS fuse to see if maybe I had the high pressure hard start problem described in the FASS instructions. How to you prime this system? Is there a plug on the inj pump that I can crack to bleed out any air?? Thanks.

Louis
Its good to Run the FASS several 20 Second bumps...i usually do about 5-8 times. That usually pumps fuel up to the injectors when the pump is off....but you should have not lost the prime in the lines. Crack a line until you pulsed fuel coming out of it while cranking. Then retighten up the line and it should start to catch. Usually they fire right off. Just keep bumping the starter for the 20 second run time.......it will self prime eventually.

Sorry....been a busy couple of days at the shop......didnt get to get on here much!