HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Idle up,down,up,down

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle up,down,up,down

!!!!!!!!!!! Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a problem with my 2000 dodge ram 2500 diesel. about a month ago I was on the way home and the truck started idling between 600rpm to 900 rpm up and down up and down when I let off the throttle so I went home and checked the codes listed in the odometer (cycle key 3 times fast) it listed a 1695 and then listed the code for a defective TPS (throttle position sensor) and it had a bad oil sending unit code so I went to the dealer and purchased a new TPS ($450.00) and a oil sending unit ($358.00) and came home and put them on , After starting the truck it was idling good so I took it for a drive, I drove it for about 20 min then it started doing it again so I went back home and did a code check on it again and it listed 1695 and that was all. The truck does not completly die it can still be drove but you have to keep your foot on the gas.It seems the longer you drive it the worse it gets. A little history on what I have done to the truck in the last year. My truck has 120,000 miles on it before the warrenty went out I was having problems with the fuel system and the dealer replaced the lift pump with a new in the tank fuel lift pump. and about 6 months after the warrenty went out the injection pump went out so I went to diesel pump injection services and purchased a new rebuilt pump ($1250.00). I have also ran a fuel pressure check at the injection pump to make sure that the lift pump is not starving the injsction pump once it get warm, It is running 7 Lbs and is not geting worse than that even if truck is idling bad . I am running out of Ideas on what to do , A friend suggested the following , crank sensor,mass flow sensor,ecm. If anyone has any suggestions or has had this problem that can help I would appriciate the help

Thanks
Dan Poucher
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM

just some other things to try. check the battery connections, make sure they are clean and tight. Don't know if it applies to your truck, but check the wiring running by the ac compressor and see if it's getting scraped (possible short to grd). did you do the reset of the tsp. disconnect batteries for 10 mins, reconnect then turn key to run (do not start truck), push fuel pedal to floor slowly then release slowly. That's all got for now.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DAN POUCHER
!!!!!!!!!!! Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a problem with my 2000 dodge ram 2500 diesel. about a month ago I was on the way home and the truck started idling between 600rpm to 900 rpm up and down up and down when I let off the throttle so I went home and checked the codes listed in the odometer (cycle key 3 times fast) it listed a 1695 and then listed the code for a defective TPS (throttle position sensor) and it had a bad oil sending unit code so I went to the dealer and purchased a new TPS ($450.00) and a oil sending unit ($358.00) and came home and put them on , After starting the truck it was idling good so I took it for a drive, I drove it for about 20 min then it started doing it again so I went back home and did a code check on it again and it listed 1695 and that was all. The truck does not completly die it can still be drove but you have to keep your foot on the gas.It seems the longer you drive it the worse it gets. A little history on what I have done to the truck in the last year. My truck has 120,000 miles on it before the warrenty went out I was having problems with the fuel system and the dealer replaced the lift pump with a new in the tank fuel lift pump. and about 6 months after the warrenty went out the injection pump went out so I went to diesel pump injection services and purchased a new rebuilt pump ($1250.00). I have also ran a fuel pressure check at the injection pump to make sure that the lift pump is not starving the injsction pump once it get warm, It is running 7 Lbs and is not geting worse than that even if truck is idling bad . I am running out of Ideas on what to do , A friend suggested the following , crank sensor,mass flow sensor,ecm. If anyone has any suggestions or has had this problem that can help I would appriciate the help

Thanks
Dan Poucher
po1695 is "no ccd/j1850 message from body control module" i have no idea what that means, or if it even has any thing to do with engine performance....
Old 05-07-2008, 01:42 PM

Mine does the same thing but I don't have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running and it has never died on me. It runs fine but it's really annoying. It's interesting that mine is a common rail and yours is not and we have the same problem. Do you have an auto or manual trans?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a wild guess here.........fuel filter?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 AM
RCW

The 1695 is a body control module error code, and can be related to a defective security system. It may or may not be related to your problem, depending on if you have an OEM security system. If so, reset the security system or pull the fuse to the thing.

Then check your electrical connector to the injection pump and make sure it is clean and fully connected.

If that does not do it, I suspect your VP44 has a blown front housing diaphragm. 7 psi is too low for a good lift pump, so I suspect the fuel is blowing out the return line and not routing properly internal for the injection pump to properly build pressure and regulate the delivery valve timing mechanism. That is an all too common problem on rebuilds that have not either had the old housing replaced or were not properly benched after rebuilding.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 PM

i have a automatic
Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I watch wind blow...

i have a similar issue with my 03 common rail.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:25 AM

Crank Sensor

My 99 24 valve did this in a Walmart Parking Lot. It ran fine but if you took your foot off the gas the idle went up and down. The crank sensor was bad. The best part was the mechanic put on the repair order that the main bearings in the engine wore which cause excessive clearance of the crank sensor. I brought it to the service manager and told them that since my truck was under warranty I would like the motor replaced.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by racin_ny
My 99 24 valve did this in a Walmart Parking Lot. It ran fine but if you took your foot off the gas the idle went up and down. The crank sensor was bad. The best part was the mechanic put on the repair order that the main bearings in the engine wore which cause excessive clearance of the crank sensor. I brought it to the service manager and told them that since my truck was under warranty I would like the motor replaced.
ahhahahahhahahahah did they do it?
Old 06-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Ha! lol

Of course not...They did have a long discussion with the tech though! It ran fine until I traded it in a few years later.