HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help Me Save $1100!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Save $1100!

Truck died on Saturday while the local Monroe shop was test driving the brakes I had them put on. I was at work and they called me saying my truck was dead in the middle of the road. Long story short, they towed it back and it has been sitting in their lot ever since.

I immediately thought "VP44". But some people have put some doubts in my head recently. How can I test the VP44 right there in the Monroe parking lot? I've switched out the relay, so I can rule that out. And the FASS is supplying fuel at least as far as the fuel filter.

The Dodge dealership is right across the road, but the road it pretty busy and pushing it would be a nightmare. I already asked them if they would be able to walk across the street and scan it but they said no. They only codes I get are P1683 and P1693. The latter is a companion code, I know that much... and no one seems to know what 1683 means.

Columbus Diesel Supply said that they would think cam position sensor first because it died like it did..

The only symptom I had before this was a problem just under 2k RPMs and just over 2k RPMS the engine seemed like it was cutting out. But when I turned my Edge off it seemed to stop. I don't know if that was just coincidence, though, because I only got to do that one time before it died.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by doomgaze
Truck died on Saturday while the local Monroe shop was test driving the brakes I had them put on. I was at work and they called me saying my truck was dead in the middle of the road. Long story short, they towed it back and it has been sitting in their lot ever since.

I immediately thought "VP44". But some people have put some doubts in my head recently. How can I test the VP44 right there in the Monroe parking lot? I've switched out the relay, so I can rule that out. And the FASS is supplying fuel at least as far as the fuel filter.

The Dodge dealership is right across the road, but the road it pretty busy and pushing it would be a nightmare. I already asked them if they would be able to walk across the street and scan it but they said no. They only codes I get are P1683 and P1693. The latter is a companion code, I know that much... and no one seems to know what 1683 means.

Columbus Diesel Supply said that they would think cam position sensor first because it died like it did..

The only symptom I had before this was a problem just under 2k RPMs and just over 2k RPMS the engine seemed like it was cutting out. But when I turned my Edge off it seemed to stop. I don't know if that was just coincidence, though, because I only got to do that one time before it died.

My truck ran with the Cam sensor inop.....no power...and no tach...but it ran.....

It could be really anything.....what needs to be done it see what fuel pressure is. that would be the first place i would start...then scan for codes with a scanner. What you can try to do is try to start the truck with a VERY small shot of ether. DONT SHOOT THOUGH THE TURBO. Pull the intake boot on the horn and disable the heater. Then try to start it...this is how my VP-44 died.......Ran fine after starting it with ether......BUT this is not a good thing to keep doing........
Old 12-11-2006, 05:39 PM

P1683 SPD CTRL PWR Relay; or S/C 12v
Driver CKT
An open or shorted condition detected in the speed
control servo power control circuit.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:49 PM

Hm, interesting. Thank you for posting that! I've looked all over and could not find a thing on that code.

As soon as my ride gets here I'm going to go out and see if replacing that relay does the trick. If not, I'm not sure where to go from there with that particular code.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:52 PM

Book Mark this site.....

http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/99-01trk.shtml
Old 12-11-2006, 06:25 PM

Crack open an injector line or two and see if you are getting diesel to the injectors. If not, retighten injector supply lines and crack open the line from the filter to the VP44. If you have diesel at the inlet, and none at the injector, I think you have found your problem. Hard to tell, but if the boys from Monroe were running her hard the VP might have laid over on you.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiny
if the boys from Monroe were running her hard the VP might have laid over on you.
That would be really aggravating!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:51 PM

Got a different code tonight. P1689. Seems like doomsday for me.

Also, the guys at CDS said that I would be able to feel the pump click on with my hand if someone tried to start it for me. I didn't feel anything.

I will try to crack open an injector line tomorrow after work, but I think the 1689 code sealed the deal.

Wouldn't surprise me if the guys at Monroe were out testing a little more than just brakes. As soon as I pulled in they were going on and on about how awesome the truck was. It's hard to say for sure, but I got the call that my truck was dead almost an hour after they called and told me my brakes were done. Unfortunately, I didn't have the sense to write down the mileage before I took her in.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:16 PM

they should have written the milage on the work order when they checked the truck in. look at your copy of the work order. they gave you one before you left right?
Clark
Old 12-12-2006, 06:01 AM

Actually, I just looked... it says the same mileage for In and Out (82679). That obviously can't be right because it died more than a mile away from the shop. I'll have to look to see what my truck says later today.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM

You might want to check your check valve .it is located in the bolt that connects the return line to the vp44. I fought this problem for a couple of months and it turnrd out to be a 40.00 fix. good luck. p.s. it runs better than ever.