HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

fuel tank sender issue leaking badddddddd

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel tank sender issue leaking badddddddd

dont know how this hapend but im in quite a pickle,my 2004 longbox started leaking considerable amounts of fuel today while it was idling,i tracked down the leak to the fuel tank itself and after much looking anf cleaning seen it was coming from the on the top of the tank where the engine sucks and returns the fuel,the one plastic piece that conects to the return hose was cracked and it actually broke off when i tried to play with it,i removed the other hose and the electrical conection and the very large plastic nut holding it all together,my question is will that piece with the draw tube and all the crap on come out with the tank in place or do i have to remove the tank,i was pulling on it a bit and it seemed like it would alomst come out but theres a large plastic thingy near the bottom of the hose assembly,does anyone know the name of the part i need to get,im looking for a microfiche diagram online to look for it,its sunday and nothing is open now,hopefully get the part tomorow,thanx for reading guys

dave

ok did some searching and im screweed,the whole fuel pump assy is in there and its all one piece and it seems the leak is from the return portion,is this repairable or do i need a whole new pump assy,its the small plastic nipple that conects to the hose thats cracked off,

Last edited by duallydave; 05-08-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: did more searching
Old 05-08-2011, 07:21 PM

Dave, I think you'll find you could go to a draw straw setup and use the outlet tube for a return inlet. You'll find that with a search on the forum. Or just find a fitting with a rubber washer made for like replacing inlets for RV water tanks, and adapt your return to it. They make them in brass. They go through from the inside and have a nut on the outside. Then just a barbed end to fit fuel hose to. Way cheaper than replacing the whole pump. All you need to do is get the fuel back in the tank. You will need to at least lift the bed up on that side high enough to pull the unit out which ever way you go.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:39 PM

thanx so much for the tips,im gona try to epoxy the plastic nipple but i think i wont feel confident in that idea,i will do some research on the idea u sugested,thanx again for the quick reply

dave
Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't even mess with epoxy, get one of these> http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Dra...shlo-p/dsi.htm