HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

fuel guage

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel guage

Ihave a 97 ctd the fuel guage stays on e and the fuel pump symbol stays lighted the wires look o.k. all fuses are good. anyone else had this problem? a bad ground it would read overfull ? truck is new to me some relays and fuses were stolen from under hood small box on fender. i replaced those any more? thanx.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neal dehmler
Ihave a 97 ctd the fuel guage stays on e and the fuel pump symbol stays lighted the wires look o.k. all fuses are good. anyone else had this problem? a bad ground it would read overfull ? truck is new to me some relays and fuses were stolen from under hood small box on fender. i replaced those any more? thanx.
Welcome to the site Neal,
The fuel level sending units in these trucks have a fairly high failure rate unfortunately. The float arm and assembly wear out and usually the easiest fix is to replace it. If you use the Search function above your post and use the term fuel level sending unit, fuel gauge, fuel tank sender, etc. You will find quite a bit of info regarding this topic. I believe the correct part number is in a few of the threads also.
I'm not 100% sure that this will be the a fix for your problem, but it would be a good place to start.

PS. Mine has been toast for about 2 years now and I keep saying I'm going to replace it one day. Untill then,,, I just reset my trip odometer when I fill up and then refuel around 400 miles. Bottom line is I've just been too darn lazy to drop the tank and put one in. I would lift the bed as some folks suggest,,,, but that would mean removing the hardware that holds my fifthwheel hitch in.

Let us know what you find.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my trip meter works! this truck is new to me, ibought it blowed up and rebuilt it, 2500 dollars, what size tank do i have? looks like about 40 gal. what should i expect fuel mpg? it was 11.2 the other day but that was old fuel and timing was off I bumped it up today, changed filter. i can only get it to go 75mph to. it has the 160hp engine 5 spd. and 4.10s. all stock so far. when i move the afc star wheel, fuelplate what are safe egts?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i tilted my bed to do mine last week, not too bad. get a reconditioned unit from the dealer (1/2 price)

private message me for details.