HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frustrated

How in the world do I get the front hub assembly off so I can pull the axles? It seems to be rusted up solid and will not budge.
I have a guy coming over in the morning to set up my 410's and I cant get the front axles out .
Ive been through the service manual and thats no help so I hope someone will chime in that may have run into this before.
I'm beginning to think that trying to save a few bucks by doing most of the labor myself wasn't a good idea.
Thanks Mooseman
Old 05-27-2006, 12:04 AM

I just did this and this is the easiest way that I know of. I took out the 4 hub bolts on the backside and screwed in 4 "disposable" bolts. I don't remember the thread pitch off-hand but I can check them tomorrow morning. I screwed them in about half-way and used an air hammer on the ends of the bolts. It loosened it up really fast. Man was there a lot of rust built up
Old 05-27-2006, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thread the back bolts in a few turns (ones that attach the hub to the knuckle). Put a deep socket on it that is the correct depth to contact the axle housing when the steering wheel is turned. Start the engine and turn the wheel to "wedge" the socket against the axle housing and hub bolt. You're basically going to use your power steering as a "press". You will need a helper with this proceedure and I hope you will be able to visualize this. It really works quite well.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J BODY
Thread the back bolts in a few turns (ones that attach the hub to the knuckle). Put a deep socket on it that is the correct depth to contact the axle housing when the steering wheel is turned. Start the engine and turn the wheel to "wedge" the socket against the axle housing and hub bolt. You're basically going to use your power steering as a "press". You will need a helper with this proceedure and I hope you will be able to visualize this. It really works quite well.
This works slick. I turn the wheels and use a socket between the axle housing and the u-joint and then turn the wheels the other way. Be careful as some guys have wrecked the ABS sensor when they weren't careful where the socket was placed. After you get them off, clean the hub up good and use Never-Seize when you put it back together.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:48 PM

Thanks guys, I finally got them off. We used a slick puller from the hub to the axle shaft to put some pressure on the hub and used a deep socket on the hub bolts to pound on and WALA they popped off.

Thanks Mooseman