HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Fried something this AM ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fried something this AM ??

HI All,
Had some errands to run first thing this really cold day of winter (approx 22 degrees this AM).
Went to start the truck and let it warm up a bit before heading out (truck was not plugged in). As soon as I turned the key to let the heating grid warm up I heard a pop and smoke came rolling out from under the hood.
I Immediately turned the key to the off position and opened the hood to see where the smoke was comming from....By the time I looked under the hood the smoke had cleared up enough so I could not tell what had been smoking....I touched a few things to see wkat had heated up so much as to smoke but no luck.....Battery cables are tight and clean. I figured I'd try to get whatever smoked to smoke again but turning key to start position but no wait light came on....I tried to crank truck but starter motor didn't even turn....Headlights do burn Bright.....Is there a relay or something that needs to be replaced? (used to do that on an old 5.7 I used to own but have no idea about relays on this truck.....I guess I need to buy a Chilton's guide). Thanks for any help.

Andrew
Old 12-15-2004, 07:40 AM
Banned

make sure it wasn't one of the battery cells shorting out. voltmeter will tell you that. otherwise maybe somthing with the grid heaters. good luck
Old 12-15-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just read another post where the fuel heater in the filter housing smokes when it goes bad. You might want to check it out right away.

Andrew, PLEASE fill out your signature so we know what truck you have.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:04 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the help.....I checked the battery and voltage was fine (also headlights burn bright), Not sure how to check the fuel filter heater but I did call the dealer to order the heater grid relay (about $23.00....won't have until tomorrow AM)....
Interestingly this part was not available at Auto Zone or Advance Auto....Well, at least it wasn't too expensive.....Hope that this solves the problem but I'm not sure why that would keep the starter motor itself from cranking.....maybe a starter solenoid or something?

Oh, Thanks for letting me know about filling out the sig....I think I got that taken care of too.

Thanks again

Andrew
Old 12-15-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seriously doubt that you blew a heatergrid if it won't crank. Seems like there was a fuseable link on top of the left inner fender well by the relays. Mine has a regular fuse spliced in there in place of the fusible link.

I'd start tracing wiring from the starter because it sounds like you blew a fusable link or toasted some wiring in the starter circuit. Might check the voltage on the output side of the ignition start circuit as well.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Banned

When the battery in my mom's old suburban blew, they did the same thing. Click, BOOM, smoke.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:28 PM

HI,
Thanks for the info about the battery....I took a voltmeter and the battery measured 12.7 volts....I disconnected the battery and took it to the local advance auto and they load tested it....Battery was deemed OK.....I rehooked battery and am currently am waiting for a grid heater relay from the dealer ($23.00) Hopefully it was this that got fried.....I looked under the hood and at a number of what I think were relays and one had a loose nut that refused to stay tight....not sure what that was but maybe it was a relay of some sort that I hope is what I ordered from the dealer.
Thanks for any and all other possibilities...
Andrew
Old 12-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Andy- I think Jay is right on when he says you blew a fusible link. There are several in the wiring harness by the battery. Since you have a '93, PM me about wiring diagrams.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:31 PM

Thanks Dave....Just PM'd you
Andrew