Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anybody ever smoked then fried a turkey??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody ever smoked then fried a turkey??

I've smoked them and I've fried them and both are great. Now I'm thinking about injecting one with marinade, smoking it for about 2-3 hours, then dropping it in the fryer.. Any experienced guys have any thoughts??

Also, if anyone needs a great cajun marinade recipe let me know and I'll post it here.. We did both turkeys yesterday for my wife's family and I'm doing another one tomorrow for my family and I'm thinking about doing some experimenting........

Mike L
Old 11-26-2004, 08:02 AM

Sounds good but I will need directions to your house . LOL
Old 11-26-2004, 09:31 AM

It'll be a long ride but I'll definitely feed you when you get here! It may just be some scraps or the carcase by that time though....
Old 11-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Banned

sure you want to do this now and not when I was a few hours closer last weekend........ well while I was down that way I served up some venison loin that was marinated in red wine for a day with garlic and peppercorns and then grilled on charcoal w/ hickory chips that had soaked in Yuengling

also went through ten pounds of potatoes... gotta love spud guns!
Old 11-26-2004, 10:00 AM

Don't know what sounds better ... the smoked turkey or the venison.

(Time to raid the fridge ... again)

PISTOL
Old 11-26-2004, 10:02 AM

Hey Pistol: Venison stuffed turkey?
Old 11-26-2004, 10:54 AM

Hey DZ, I tried that feat a couple of years ago. I shot up the turkey and smoked it with a mix of pecan/oak/mesquite wood for about 2 hours then fried the bird. IT WAS GREAT!!!!! The only drawback though is the peanut oil is smoke tainted for future use. (I re-use oil to fry chickens and fish for up to 3 months after I burn the bird). Even straining the oil with a filter can not get the smoke flavor out of it. Happy experimenting and bon appetite.....

Gary
Old 11-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If I smoked a "Honda" then "fried" a Firebird do I get 1/2 credit?

Back to the subject,......sounds like it'd be deeeeeeelicious.
Fax me some when it's done.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:03 PM

Thanks scuzman. If it works then that's the way I would always make them in the future so I wouldn't be worrying about the oil. I have some oak, hickory, and mesquite wood. Boy my wife's gonna kick my butt if I start experimenting but I bought a smoked ham just in case things don't work out.....

We got a smoked bird from Walmart a couple of years ago and MAN that thing was awesome! It tasted almost like ham......

I'll post my results when I'm done.......
Old 11-27-2004, 05:21 PM

Well, I did it. I smoked the bird for about 2.5 hours and then dropped it in the oil. This was a 11lb bird and I figured it was less than halfway done when I pulled it off the smoker so I guessed at about .5 hours in the fryer. Well, after 20 minutes I decided to check the internal temp which is supposed to be 180 when done. I stuck the thermometer in and it shot up to over 210 degrees! Holy Cow Batman that goose is cooked!!! Needless to say it was done. The skin was all but gone and the outer layer of skin was getting rubbery. It ended up tasting pretty good and I think it was better than just frying it but my wife insists that the plain fried is better. (She doesn't like all the smoking I do) It actually almost smelled like I was frying bacon. I don't know if it was worth all the trouble either way. I think I'm just tired of turkey and I may take a couple years off from eating it. I'd give it a thumbs up though on taste.....
Old 11-27-2004, 06:02 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do a cool and real smokey smoke for about an hour, or when it has that hickory glaze. Then put it in the fryer and go from there. Usually you can knock about 10-15% of normal fry time off. The main thing is to keep on top of the internal temp. Remember, when you pull it out it still cooks for a bit. Experiment with chicken or beef, I hate turkey. Different woods change things. You might try pine knots for a real unique taste
Old 11-27-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I tried smoking a turkey, but it was hard to keep it lit, ... and it kept trying to fly away!

Old 11-29-2004, 07:10 PM

Hey DZ,

Next time you are in the frying mood, take a side of spare ribs and give them a good rubdown of your favorite spices and marinate in pineapple juice. Then give em they fry treatment..... I usually dip em in for 20 minutes or so. Nice turn from eating smoked ribs..... Pull em out when they start to bone (just like in smoking).

Gary
Old 11-29-2004, 09:18 PM

Dang, you guys are making me hungry ! Think of how many people you could affect (make them hungry) if you ran the smoke/fried turkey oil thru the CTD ! Folks following you down the road would be pullin into the nearest eatery !
Old 11-29-2004, 09:37 PM

I'd look kind of stupid out in the parking lot at lunch wiping the inside of my tailpipe with some bread and eating it..

Scuzman, that sounds like a good idea. You should have seen the look on my wife's face when I just told her about it..

Quick Reply: Anybody ever smoked then fried a turkey??