3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

chip then something then something

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chip then something then something

hey all, i've had my 03' SO 250hp for over 100k miles and swore i would never get any mods beyond my straight pipe but now... i'm feeling the itch. I'd like some input because i haven't been on this board since 05 when i got it.

I'd like
1. A Chip: looks like the Smarty Jr is takn the cake. I really don't plan on going crazy w/ my truck. i don't beat it and 1 upgrade is enough for me. Smarty sound like a plan?

2. Intake: I wouldn't mind an intake if needed because i know you want to get smooth air to the engine when adding mods. Ideas? I have a friend who has a smarty jr and a cold air intake and it friggin whistles awesome.

3. Guages..: yeah i'd rather not b/c it's an added expense but do i reeeeeeally need them? can i wait?

Do i have my priorities in order? is there something I'm missing? 1 then maybe 2 then maybe 3??

thx all
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 first. Gauges are cheap insurance... EGT at the least...
Then the Smarty or jr.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tryNto
3 first. Gauges are cheap insurance... EGT at the least...
Then the Smarty or jr.
X2

Get gauges first, EGT and fuel supply pressure for sure then maybe a trans temp, learn what your truck does stock then get mods to see how it reacts.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
go cheap now or get expensive later fixing it. Like above said,

1. gauges
2. smarty or smarty jr
3. CAI
4. exhaust work
Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
For your intake, you can go cheap and just get a higher flowing drop in filter, and swiss cheese the air box, or put in a 4 inch elbow in the bottom of it. Removing the baffles in the stock intake tube will increase flow, and removing the silencer ring will make that thing louder. If you have questions about how to do this, let me know.

I agree with the gauges being the more important of the mods, and it sounds like the smarty jr is where you want to go. Or, if you are looking for cheaper, look in the classifieds for a cheap edge juice with attitude. They are good boxes for lower power, but they are not as good as a smarty. It just depends on what you want...

Clear as mud?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:06 PM

X5 on the gauges (min you need a pyro)
Then go for the programmer of choice and a CAI if you like the sound of the turbo whistle
Old 12-25-2009, 02:17 AM

gotcha

ok i figured the guages would be first. where should i get the EGT sensor installed? should i just do EGT and fuel pressure, trans then boost last? i dont' think i personally need a boost but i'm open to suggestions. i like the smarty JR. what are some cold air intakes? i looked at the online store and i didn't see any that specify the 'cold air' part.

Thanks for the input guys... i'm excited to pull the trigger.

If i get the smart on 100hp and a cold air intake what HP gains do you think i will get total? also how loud does the CAI make the turbo whistle?

(appreciate it TONS thx)
Old 12-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You can get it installed anywhere that someone can use a tap...

You don't have to get the boost or tranny (unless you tow a lot), but they will be a great tool to let you know if something is going on, or help troubleshoot later.
http://www.dodge-diesel.org/afeairfiinsy.html
http://www.dodge-diesel.org/aiprinsy.html
There are some CAI's in the store, but you don't have to go all out with that stuff. I purchased something similar to the torque tube, put in a drop in replacement filter, and put a 4" PVC elbow on the bottom of my intake box. It flows pretty well, I never see my filter minder move...

Those HP ratings are what you are going to see at the rear wheels. As long as your tranny will handle it, that is...

The CAI makes it noticeable, but if you want a REALLY nice turbo whistle, ya gotta get a bigger turbo! lol...
Old 12-25-2009, 09:18 AM

I'd say that the gauges should come first, EGT is a must, boost is second, after that, what you would like to see/know - personally I'd think fuel pressure since you are thinking about the Smarty Jr.

The airbox is easy, good drop-in filter like an Amsoil, and then a better torque tube like the cool hose, and then the PSM mod - which is opening the bottom of your air box, adding a hose to bring in more fresh air. You can pull the silencer ring if you want to hear the turbo more. Since you have an 03, it might be a little different setup than what my 06 has, but in the overall concept, you will do it however it would fit your model.

Your truck is old enough that you probably will be thinking replacing the exhaust down the line, open it up, get it flowing better. The old rule of thumb is when you increase the intake, you MUST do likewise to the output. Since you are also adding power, that rule applies even more.

CD
Old 12-28-2009, 03:19 PM

I was looking at the edge juice w/ attitude monitor. Why is the smarty better? It seems pretty convenient to just get this and not have to install all the gauges plus get 5 levels of power + 50 more torque on the max level
Old 12-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Nothing wrong with the Edge ATT.. It runs a little hotter than the smarty but for everyday use I love mine. Not exactly first on race day but for a decent mod I think its one of the best. I've had mine for about 80,000 miles and I love it. Just dont let your temptations lead you onto the higher settings or you'll be replacing that tranny in no time.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:55 PM

To each his own when it comes to programmers and their functionality. If you want the easy "all in one" then go with the Edge, it is your truck. You will get good power. I myself have always liked the analog gauge style, so with that I could essentially go with whatever caught my eye. The Smarty's capability as a code reader and tire size calibrator sold me.

IMHO, Smarty is just much better programming. From what I've seen you will realize better fuel economy and lower egt's than the EDGE. The trucks I've run Edge on and have seen installed always ran much warmer in the EGT department than even my Smarty SR.

But again it is all up to you.