HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

crank position sen.test

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crank position sen.test

I have been told to check the crank position sen. Where can I locate the directions to test the crank position sen.? I am told this could be my problem in loosing the charge circuit and air conditioning. I replacing an alt that tested bad on the truck at an alt shop. The replacement alt also tested bad. I took the truck home and mounted an external voltage regulator and got my charging system operating but now have lost the airconditioning. Dodge says for $75.oo they will tell me if it is bad. If it is not bad they want to sell me a new computer. ??? ??? Thank you
Have Fun
Allen
Ocala, FL
Old 08-26-2003, 09:28 AM

Re:crank position sen.test

well, their are instructions on R&R ing the CPS in the "tech facts", as for testing it, not really sure. I replaced mine because of some tell tale signs...one of the biggest is the tach jumping back and forth from 0 rpm and also, the truck would surge at a light and sometimes just shut-off...The kicker is, they want $75.00 to test the CPS and i paid like $60 for a new one...It's primary job is to "read" the crank for timing purposes, how that would affect the A/C I would be interested to hear the reasoning on that one, im not a mechanic though so it's always possible...
Old 08-26-2003, 09:30 AM

oops, yours is a 93', didnt see that before, your symptoms may differ and your cost of the part may differ, not very knowledgeable about the 93' but someone will chime in...sorry
Old 08-26-2003, 09:58 AM

I was informed that if the crank sen was bad you would not get the carge circuit or air conditioning to function. That is why I was interested in being able to test it. I got the info on changing it, but would like to be able to test it before buying another one. If its not bad then I guess I will be buying a computer from Autozone. I am getting a bit fed up with all the electronic junk!!!! I have been around this repair thing a few more years then I care to admit. I see it as nothing more then a programed money pot that the auto makers have created to help insure their control. It adds up to big $$$ for dealers and head and hart ache for owners. I will be giving hard thought to hard wireing where ever I can. I need to put more time and effort to completing my 32 ford Pickup without all the electronic crap that create the electronic nightmares not to mention $$$ handouts.
Have Fun
Allen
Old 08-28-2003, 06:06 PM

Buckshot, I have bben told that the crank sensor will effect the a/c and charge cicuits. I found out when I installed the tach and rasied it up to clear the magnets , went too far and a/c quit, moved it to just about .030 above them and it started working again. Don't know of any way to test other than tapping the wires with a meter and see what you get (key on, not running) then crank it and see again. Who knows, it may or may not work, but it only takes about 15 minutes to change it, a little skin off the knuckles, and a lotta whining about where dodge put it, my wife got tired of hearing me and said "just shut up and put the thing on"
Old 08-28-2003, 09:12 PM

Pumpdaddy,
I was informed that the crank position sensor was located behind the starter and that the starter had to be removed in order to make the repair? Are we talking about two different items? Is there a crank shaft speed sensor and if so is that what may cause the charge circuit and air conditioning not to work? ??? ??? ??? I want to take a moment to thank all of you for your feed back ;D ;D 8)
Allen
Old 08-29-2003, 12:23 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The crank sensor on the 91.5-93 engines is located on the front of the engine as described in another thread of yours. About 11:00 facing the front dampner. You can trace a 3 wire lead just in front of the #1 tappet cover with a plug right there. The wires lead from there back over the injector pump and into the loom.

The sensor behind the starter is for 2nd gen engines, I am unsure of what year they started mounting them there. Was it with the 24 valvers? Doesn't matter...

J-eh
Old 08-31-2003, 09:50 PM

;D Thank you all for helping me find the problems with the computer [ E.C.M.] in my 93. I have by-passed both the charging circuit and the air conditioning circuit and every thing is working very well now. I had mentioned in another post that the computer in the 93 and older trucks must be nothing but a money maker for Dodge and its dealers!! I stand by that statement and will continue to hard wire any other problems as they show up. The cures for both electrical circuit and the air conditioning circuit problems has cost me a grand total of 14 ft of wire and 6 butt connectors. I had mentioned that "if it had not been done yet then it's time some one did it". Thanks again.
Have fun
Allen
Old 09-01-2003, 11:53 AM

Hey Buckshot... The crank sensor very seldom fails. This info came from a Service manager of a Dodge dealer in these parts over the phone at no charge. So I will tell you again what I found with mine. Where the wires to the crank sensor go through a clip on the front of the head, just before the round 3 wire plug(following the wires up from the sensor), my one wire's insulation had worn through. I merely replced the wire and shrink tubed the repair. Look at it closely and this is likely where the problem is. Not rocket science, but hey it took me 4 months to find this board and then about 2 days after that to find the worn wire. Check it out. If the crank sensor is not sending, the computer doen't know the engine is running, so it doesn't energize the alternator etc. I ran my truck for 4 months with external regulator. But I agree, the pinhead who put the volt reg into the ECM should be shot.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:36 PM
RCW

I agree with Greatwhite, the sensor hardly ever fails.

Check the insulation and then take a matchbook, double the cover, and use it as a spacer to respace the crank sensor.

If you want to run a standard Motorcraft voltage regulator, pull the field wires and add an ignition dropping resistor to the alternator field excite (power) lead to pull the field voltage down. It solves the problem permanently, and works for the 94-98's just as well.