HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

clutch or hydrolics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch or hydrolics?

I was diving tonight, had to stop and the truck wouldn't go back in gear. I am able to start it and "float" the grears like a big rig. but the clutch pedal is usless. Pleas help this is my daily driver. It's the truck in my sig.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 PM
SWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will be the hydraulic clutch "linkage". Mine got worse overtime and let me think about it before it failed entirely.
The master and slave are sold as a unit. Southbend sells a replacement but other then that it is a Dodge item as far as I know.
Replacement is not technical just takes some time and common tools. I believe it took me 3-4 hours and I am not fast. I have a shop manual and that was helpful but not necessary. Some one experienced could do it in half the time. When removing the the old unit watch where the lines run to put the new ones in the same location. The most difficult was putting the new master in place working it around the brake lines. The slave and master are two separate pieces and are joined after everything is in place. I was concerned about getting air in the line, but have not had any issues with that.
I am sure someone else will chime in with more help.
Stan
Old 06-08-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It did it to me yesterday (early afternoon) then it was fine the rest of the day, and then untill this evening. Did you get the southbend one or the dodge one? about how much did it cost?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 PM
SWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought it from the Dodge dealer. I would get it from Southbend. I am not sure but from what I remember reading I believe Southbend's is made a little better.
When I said I had time to think about it doesn't mean I was smart enough to do something about it before it quit entirely. I was in our local city and right close to the dealership when I realized my thinking about the clutch required doing something about it. I could push the clutch in quickly change gears or into neutral in stop and go traffic. I live in the country about 45 miles and was just leaving the city when I felt a snap in the clutch and there was nothing.
The kit was around 350. I live in Canada so it might be 20-30% cheaper in the US.
Stan