HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Clutch almost to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Clutch almost to the floor

Overnight my clutch pedal barlely disengages the clutch before the pedal hits the floorboard. Check the fluid lever, and it's normal. Any ideas?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Check the pushrod/pedal connection. The plastic bushing in there wears out and falls apart.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just buy the master/slave kit.. I belive napa sells them
Old 12-31-2005, 09:43 PM

hope the slave sylinder didn't blow and leaking into the bell housing Check for any liquid under the housing But get the kit anyway good to have (Just in Case )
Old 12-31-2005, 10:25 PM

It just changed one night, from good to bad, but has not gotten worse. I'm hoping Wanna is right.
Thanks guys!
Happy New Year!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:08 PM

Master and Slave

I bought new master and slave units, which are plastic, for $130 total. Now I have to figure out how to change them out. Looks like there are drift pins that retain the tubing between the two, so I guess I have to figure out a little punch to get the old ones out.
Anyone done this that can give me some tips?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:59 PM

try this

Clutch Service and Repair
Notes

The factory installed hydraulic linkage has a quick disconnect at the slave cylinder. This fitting should not be disconnected or tampered with. The hydraulic linkage is serviced as an assembly only, but it comes as two pieces to ease installation. Once the clutch hydraulic line is connected to the slave cylinder, it should not be disconnected. The individual components that form the linkage assembly cannot be overhauled or serviced separately.REMOVAL 1. Raise and support vehicle.Fig. 33

2. Remove nuts attaching slave cylinder to studs on clutch housing (Fig. 33). 3. Remove slave cylinder from clutch housing. 4. Remove the plastic clip securing the hydraulic line to the dash panel from the lower dash panel flange. 5. Remove the plastic clip securing the hydraulic line to the dash panel from the upper dash panel stud. 6. Lower vehicle. 7. Disconnect, clutch pedal interlock switch wires.Fig. 34

8. Remove retaining clip (Fig. 34). 9. Slide clutch master cylinder push rod off pedal pin. 10. Inspect condition of bushing in the clutch master cylinder pushrod (Fig. 34). Replace the clutch hydraulic linkage if bushing is worn or damaged. 11. Verify that cap on clutch master cylinder reservoir is tight. This will avoid spillage during removal. 12. Remove the nuts holding the clutch master cylinder to the dash panel. 13. Remove screws that attach clutch fluid reservoir to dash panel. 14. Remove the clutch master cylinder from the dash panel. 15. Remove clutch cylinders, reservoir and connecting lines from vehicle.INSTALLATION 1. Tighten cap on clutch fluid reservoir to avoid spillage during installation. 2. Position cylinders, connecting lines and reservoir in vehicle engine compartment. Locate the clutch hydraulic line against the dash panel and behind all engine hoses and wiring. 3. Insert clutch master cylinder in dash panel. Install and tighten the nuts to hold the clutch master cylinder to the dash panel. 4. Apply a light coating of grease to the inside and outside diameter of the master cylinder bushing. 5. Install clutch master cylinder push rod on clutch pedal pin. Secure rod with retaining clip. 6. Connect clutch pedal position (interlock) switch wires. 7. Position clutch fluid reservoir on dash panel and install reservoir screws. Tighten screws to 5 Nm (40 inch lbs.) torque. 8. Install the plastic clip securing the hydraulic line to the dash panel into the lower dash panel flange. 9. Install the plastic clip securing the hydraulic line to the dash panel onto the upper dash panel stud. 10. Raise vehicle. 11. Install slave cylinder. Be sure cap at end of cylinder rod is seated in release lever. Check this before installing cylinder attaching nuts. NOTE: If new linkage is being installed, do not remove the plastic shipping strap from slave cylinder push rod. The shipping strap will break on its own upon the first clutch application. 12. Install and tighten slave cylinder attaching nuts to 23 Nm (200 inch lbs.) torque.Fig. 35

13. If a new clutch linkage is being installed, connect the clutch hydraulic line (Fig. 35) to the clutch slave cylinder. 14. Lower vehicle. 15. Operate linkage several times to verify proper operation.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:00 PM

On my way to Los Alamos today I lost the use of the clutch. No big deal, I have had to shut down to stop and start in gear on older crap I used to drive, but I got caught with my cheese hanging out in an intersection crossing the oncoming lane in neutral! Thought I was going to pay my dues for the Hyundai I trash compacted a few years ago, but I rolled out of the way in time (thank you God!).

I got my work done and limped her back home, double clutching like a ******, and replaced the master and slave clutch cylinders, the only hitch being that when I finally popped the "C" clip loose it vanished into thin air as they often do. If I could make a sub or tank out of that material I would be rich! I ended making a wire retainer that is less than ideal, but OK. I don't have a clue how to get a replacement clip, but oh well.

Now I have so much pedal I am going to have to re-learn how to drive my truck!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:42 AM

C-clip

Mhuppertz,

I think some NAPA, or other auto parts stores may have different assortments of clips. A few years ago, I worked as a partsman in at an ag store, and we had a drawer of different sized clips and other retainers.

Good luck.

Dewey